hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Phone hacking

First Team Breakthrough

Phone hacking

how do you actually hack a phone. Not that i want to do it, just wondering how easy it is to do.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by suavegav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how do you actually hack a phone. Not that i want to do it, just wondering how easy it is to do.
    The current examples are not hacking per se as there is no real technical subterfuge involved. The method of listening to/deleting messages from someone else's voicemail is straightforward: you need to hope that the phone's owner has not changed the four-digit pin which enables VM access from a phone other than the target device. The factory-set PIN is usually 0000 or 1111, etc. but if you're up on this and know the make of phone you're trying to 'hack' then you'll have a better idea of the default code. Of course, if the person has set a new PIN then the more you know about them the easier it will be to have a decent stab at their code. For example, I know that a good number of Man City fans use '1958' as a PIN for ATM cards and the like; no prizes for guessing mine own ATM PIN, etc.

So you ring the phone and, when it goes to voicemail, input the code and off you go.

Of course, if, for example you were the editor of a tabloid newspaper that handed out free phones as a goodwill gesture to bereaved people then you'd know the code for sure. But that would never happen.
    Last edited by magpie1892; 13-07-2011 at 09:43 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The current examples are not hacking per se as there is no real technical subterfuge involved. The method of listening to/deleting messages from someone else's voicemail is straightforward: you need to hope that the phone's owner has not changed the four-digit pin which enables VM access from a phone other than the target device. The factory-set PIN is usually 0000 or 1111, etc. but if you're up on this and know the make of phone you're trying to 'hack' then you'll have a better idea of the default code. Of course, if the person has set a new PIN then the more you know about them the easier it will be to have a decent stab at their code. For example, I know that a good number of Man City fans use '1958' as a PIN for ATM cards and the like; no prizes for guessing mine own ATM PIN, etc.

So you ring the phone and, when it goes to voicemail, input the code and off you go.

Of course, if, for example you were the editor of a tabloid newspaper that handed out free phones as a goodwill gesture to bereaved people then you'd know the code for sure. But that would never happen.
    Thanks for the imformative answer, i never thought it would be so easy