hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Pilates

Pilates

Started going with Mrs Dashing about a month ago. I had boorishly dismissed it as an inconsequential fad - in the way one tends to do with women and trendy fitness thingys - but she's been looking rather comely on it, and she challenged me to go with her for a month, then see how I felt after.

Having just completed this period, I have to say that I feel very good and look better. The clothes - always a prime consideration - seem to hang better on me, and I feel I have better muscle tone, more energy and improved suppleness. And, well, let's not mince words, I'm rather more demonic in the bedroom.

Anyone else tried this, or any other exercise regime they'd care to recommend?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Pirates?

Joseph Pilates........gymnast/circus performer and bodybuilder

As a sickly child he trained very hard to become stronger hence the gymnastics and bodybuilding, he turned his attention in later life to the study of what he called contrology(pilates) the control of postural muscles or core flex muscles( deep lying abdominals ).
    I know all this as it was part on my PT course and I have level 2 pilates certificate, pilates works in conjunction with other forms of exercise, it strengthens up your core and enables you to train other muscles in a more controlled manner, thus making gains in strength and stability.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Joseph Pilates........gymnast/circus performer and bodybuilder

As a sickly child he trained very hard to become stronger hence the gymnastics and bodybuilding, he turned his attention in later life to the study of what he called contrology(pilates) the control of postural muscles or core flex muscles( deep lying abdominals ).
    I know all this as it was part on my PT course and I have level 2 pilates certificate, pilates works in conjunction with other forms of exercise, it strengthens up your core and enables you to train other muscles in a more controlled manner, thus making gains in strength and stability.
    Would it help my golf. Flexibility is key I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Pirates?
    Not a Pittsburgh speech impediment, HB, it's the new thing in personal fitness. Or was last week.

I seriously do like it and feel the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I'd say it definitely would. Funny, a lot of the more dedicated footballers (Beckham, for example) are devotees. The wife got into it as she rides horses and finds it good for her core, back and shoulders.

All of which I think would help a golf swing, though I'm not much of a golfer so I'm speculating here.

Pilates was designed to aid everyday life, it improves all round flexibility, core strength and well being.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    ,,,and where would the uninitiated find their local pilates class?

I was recommended by both my GP and an Chiropractor to try a little of the above to ease some mild back pain. Trouble is, I can't seem to find anywhere local(Corstorphine) that is open to beginners. On the other hand if I wanted to do some 'Zumba'?,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post

I was recommended by both my GP and an Chiropractor to try a little of the above to ease some mild back pain. Trouble is, I can't seem to find anywhere local(Corstorphine) that is open to beginners. On the other hand if I wanted to do some 'Zumba'?,,,,
    I would think most gyms that have fitness classes will have a few on every week.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Started going with Mrs Dashing about a month ago. I had boorishly dismissed it as an inconsequential fad - in the way one tends to do with women and trendy fitness thingys - but she's been looking rather comely on it, and she challenged me to go with her for a month, then see how I felt after.

Having just completed this period, I have to say that I feel very good and look better. The clothes - always a prime consideration - seem to hang better on me, and I feel I have better muscle tone, more energy and improved suppleness. And, well, let's not mince words, I'm rather more demonic in the bedroom.

Anyone else tried this, or any other exercise regime they'd care to recommend?
    It's superb rehab/exercise, would recommend it to almost anyone.

@hibs.net private member
    Pilates is more about control than flexibility GL, if you manage to control any functional task (golf, work etc) you are less likely to develop any symptoms from permorming that task, you would also hope - eventually to be better at performing that task.

You do of course need functional range of movement for golf etc and that would be where flexibility/mobility would come in.

@hibs.net private member

Cropping up everywhere (new place just up from London Road for example), contact the Murrayfield Hospital (formerly BUPA) they may be able to advise re local classes, they used to have classes for staff.

Optimal class size 6-8 people to one instructor i believe.

@hibs.net private member
    How does one do the multi-quote thingy again.

Really not that difficult to find out

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1071&bih=654

Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    How does one do the multi-quote thingy again.

Bottom right hand side, even though I didn't use it there myself

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    Really not that difficult to find out

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...w=1071&bih=654
    Already done that JC1 but I was actually looking for something closer to home. David LLoyd, which is just across the park from me, say it's for members only. I've seen signs outside church halls etc but nothing within walking distance of my home, OR, it's between the hours of 9-5, OK for those that don't work or stay at home parents but not great for me.

Thanks for trying though!

@hibs.net private member

Have you tried Edinburgh Leisure (is Drumbrae near you?)? I know people who have done it at various EL places.

I still think a pirate-themed exercise programme would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    Have you tried Edinburgh Leisure (is Drumbrae near you?)? I know people who have done it at various EL places.
    Jeez, I had completely dismissed them as I didn't think Drumbrae had a studio! It's just up the road from me as well so will pop in tomorrow and ask.

@hibs.net private member
    Aaaaar Gym lad. (best i could do, it's early)

I found it a bit too intensive

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum?

One 'ho' is enough for me - especially after the rum.

I was recommended it after having major abdominal surgery to help re-build the muscles - holy Christ, it was brutal. I couldn't do it. It's been 2 years since I had the surgery and I've tried it again recently and was still dying - definitely due in part to a lack of abdominal muscle strength I think, but I know a few other folk who've found it hard-going, not the poofy wee exercise that some might think.
    Last edited by McHibby; 08-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493

Zumbaaaaaar me hearties!

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskbank Hibby
    Optimal class size 6-8 people to one instructor i believe.
    For beginners a large class could be divided, and the whole programme broken down into a number of smaller modules. They might do it in pieces, of eight each. If the gym has a mirror, at the end everyone could stand around congratulating themselves, saying Who's a pretty boy then?

All good suggestions. Instead of using step aerobics they could do 30 reps of walk the plank, and get changed in davy jones's locker afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by McHibby View Post
    I was recommended it after having major abdominal surgery to help re-build the muscles - holy Christ, it was brutal. I couldn't do it. It's been 2 years since I had the surgery and I've tried it again recently and was still dying - definitely due in part to a lack of abdominal muscle strength I think, but I know a few other folk who've found it hard-going, not the poofy wee exercise that some might think.
    Yes, I think you need to have a reasonable level of fitness in the first place to get the best out of it.

I found it very hard going at first, but as I was there with the wife I couldn't wimp out (probably would have otherwise) and it's take about a month before I started to feel comfortable. Now I feel a lot stronger and better at other exercises. For example, I couldn't do more than 2/3 pull-ups before, now I'm up to a dozen.