hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does Our Club Have Any Leadership Whatsoever At The Moment?

And if so can any examples of it be given?

What exactly did our 'leadership' think of our performance as a football club in season 2010/2011.

Where do they think we need to improve if they think that we do?

What was the last piece of communication from our 'leadership' to us the fans?

Just asking as most organisations successful in life have a bit of leadership. And we appear to have none whatsoever.

And appear to be just drifting....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Snap, just posted similar thread on the bounce!!!

First Team Breakthrough

leadership

The last communication we had from the club to the fans was a reply with regard to the waving flag type flags and a place to store them within the club premises as we were going to buy a 100 of them to Brighten up the atmosphere. Storage has been on the agenda for almost a year. We had also planned to Hang all the flags at the back for the opening game against Celtic. Instead we are now told we can't hang the flags without the use of a ladder which we need to now purchase. It will now take an age to hang flags, so I think we won't bother anymore. The club asked for the Dimensions of the waving flags etc and spoke about fire ******ant certificates etc. They are the same flags that we always use for waving and don't need a certificate. Some 12th man guys are making new banners and stuff for the new season, However these will not be allowed in the ground now. Instead the club went on about how no flares and smoke will be allowed in ( something the away support tends to do). That's something we have never done. To support Hibernian football club is increasingly frustrating as leadership and people being able to make snap decisions is lacking even at the non playing level. It seems that whenever a decision is needed it takes months. I could have had a risk assessment done for hanging flags in 5 minutes and it most certainly would not entail buying ladders to hang flags. The communication with the club was within the last 7 days

I my opinion, NO we do not have any leadership at present and YES we are drifting.

The bottom line for me is the club are drifting further and further into mediocrity and I fully expect it to get worse before it gets better, especially with with the "special one" at the helm!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What exactly did our 'leadership' think of our performance as a football club in season 2010/2011.

Just asking as most organisations successful in life have a bit of leadership. And we appear to have none whatsoever.

The club quite often put out confirmation of the vision and the plan and it's not changed in some time.

Every time they do they confirm that success on the park is their main priority.

Generally when Hibs do say something like this it's then ridiculed.

We had a statement last week about no approach being made for CC but they can't respond to everyting every day.

What is it you are expecting just now? And do you think it will be any different from the fact that they want football success, will not put the club in danger though and will only speak about things when there is something to say?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    We are also crying out for good leadership ON THE PARK!

It's something that's been sadly lacking for a number of years now and it's exactly why we need to sign an experienced pro who can cajole the others into going the extra mile when it is needed most.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The club quite often put out confirmation of the vision and the plan and it's not changed in some time.

Every time they do they confirm that success on the park is their main priority.

We had a statement last week about no approach being made for CC but they can't respond to everyting every day.

What is it you are expecting just now? And do you think it will be any different from the fact that they want football success, will not put the club in danger though and will only speak about things when there is something to say?
    A definition of success would be a good start. Most clubs state their given goals and ambitions for the season ahead and beyond. The silence from Hibs on both of these has been deafening for years. They are basically crap at communication so just don't seem to bother any more. That is interpreted as arrogance by their paying customers, who unsurprisingly have left in droves. I suspect the collapse in ST sales will be the biggest in Hibs history, and (proportion wise) maybe the biggest ever int he SPL.

Hibs seem to concentrate on "marketing" merchandise and selling stuff, when the basic product is flawed - and worryingly - they don't appear to know what they are going.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    A definition of success would be a good start. Most clubs state their given goals and ambitions for the season ahead and beyond. The silence from Hibs on both of these has been deafening for years. They are basically crap at communication so just don't seem to bother any more. That is interpreted as arrogance by their paying customers, who unsurprisingly have left in droves. I suspect the collapse in ST sales will be the biggest in Hibs history, and (proportion wise) maybe the biggest ever int he SPL.

Hibs seem to concentrate on "marketing" merchandise and selling stuff, when the basic product is flawed - and worryingly - they don't appear to know what they are going.
    I think they have consistently said that success is challenging for European places and challenging for the cups.

There are often complaints of this kind and every time the club do say something it's ignored.

Left by mutual consent!

What do you mean by leadership?

I think they have consistently said that success is challenging for European places and challenging for the cups.

There are often complaints of this kind and every time the club do say something it's ignored.
    Exactly. Whatever the club say is dismissed as the usual platitudes, appeasement, too little too late, insulting the fans intelligence, lies etc etc. It's an area where the club just can't win.

Personally I don't care much for mission statements, it's action that counts.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

"...last season was hugely disappointing. Next year we know we must do much better". Rod Petrie.

"Finishing tenth is unacceptable for a club of our standing. We all know that.". Scott Lindsay.

Such comments if we got them would give an interesting insight.

But they don't give such comments. And won't.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Where do we begin? In every respect our club is leaderless. And its reflected in where we are as a football club.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Smurf, aren't the board saying that by saying that they expect the club to be competing at the top end of the table every season?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Smurf, aren't the board saying that by saying that they expect the club to be competing at the top end of the table every season?
    The mission statement (2007 IIRC?) was very good. How does the words of objectives compare to the reality though?

Last season was yet again complete failure. This summer I detect no real sense of addressing things to turn things around.

Certainly nothing is being communicated to the contrary...

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    The mission statement (2007 IIRC?) was very good. How does the words of objectives compare to the reality though?

Last season was yet again complete failure. This summer I detect no real sense of addressing things to turn things around.

Certainly nothing is being communicated to the contrary...
    That's my point, if the aims haven't changed and the AGM restates those each year and proves the board keep backing whatever manager we have that week with increased budgets, what would the need be to reiterate the same sentiments all over again?

2007 - The board can confirm that it is their aim to see Hibs play in green shirts with white sleeves.

2008 - The board can.....

What need is there?

Left by mutual consent!
    Last 10 Finishes:
    10th
    4th
    6th
    6th
    6th
    4th
    3rd
    8th
    7th
    10th

For me 6th isnt top end of SPL in an acceptable sense it may be in top half but IMO 6th is a failure for Hibs, 3x in last 10 seasons the club has finished imo at the top end of league where we are supposed to be finishing imo, if the mission statement means top end ie 6th is ok then we have even more problems. I expect them to not only compete at top end but to be more succesful at it. That statement can simply mean top 6 is ok, well it is not ok for me.

The Hibs board is failing the football club on the pitch no matter how much they are supposed to back managers it is simply bad appointments that cost Hibs. It is time somebody acted at the top of this club and got in some people whom can manage this club on the park, Hibs are wasting money year on year with this manger in/out carry on, signing players to suit every new manager then punting them or having them stay and contribute not a lot as the new manager doesnt rate them.

Rod Hibs are a footballing shambles.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 29-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Yes they do & they also mention going far in cup competitions, our size and potential within the Scottish game should determine that anyway, however, all too often we fall woefully short of those expectations.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I know exactly what the club's goals and ambitions are, and am extremely perplexed to find that so many seem to think that they are state secrets. There's nothing that I need to know that Hibs haven't told me - I was actually surprised that they commented on the specualtion regarding Calderwood and Forest last week, given that nothing had actually happened.

Hearts have a recognised leader in Vladimir Romanov and he was just responsible for the biggest PR distaster that any football club has ever known, on the back of several other embarrassing outburts in the past - I'm extremely glad that we don't have to put up with the whims of one influential figure.

Leadership on the park is certainly required but that's the responsibility of the manager. You of course want a firm leader as a manager but Mixu and Yogi were leaders on the park, who could blame the board for thinking that such strong figures would be influential managers?

I'm struggling to see who is being attacked here - or are we just giving Hibs in general a kicking?

Left by mutual consent!
    To help answer the question, here are ten characteristics of a well-functioning team of emnployees...

Purpose: Members proudly share a sense of why the team exists and are invested in accomplishing its mission and goals.

Looking a bit dodgy here, what with the manager off to Notts Forest. Or is it Birmingham? Mind you, recently, we've tried managers that wear their hearts on their sleeves and they've been utterly ****** as well.

Priorities: Members know what needs to be done next, by whom, and by when to achieve team goals.

Think we're OK here - our team looks pish at the moment, the season is looming large and I think everyone at ER knows it.

Roles: Members know their roles in getting tasks done and when to allow a more skillful member to do a certain task.

Well the Mouser picks the transfer targets according to some 'ITK' so maybe he's a mini-me of Romanov but is keeping it below the radar. More seriously the relative roles of Petrie and Lindsay are unclear and we don't know yet whether an assistant manager is needed/in place.

Decisions: Authority and decision-making lines are clearly understood.

No problems here. Hughes might have wanted to be the HR director as well as football manager but he knew from the outset that he wasn't on.

Conflict: Conflict is dealt with openly and is considered important to decision-making and personal growth.

We do conflict in the open alright.

Personal traits: members feel their unique personalities are appreciated and well utilized.

No idea, but there is no reason to assume that is not the case.

Norms: Group norms for working together are set and seen as standards for every one in the groups.

We have a standard. Unfortunately it is a pretty low standard at the moment.

Effectiveness: Members find team meetings efficient and productive and look forward to this time together.

It all comes together on the day at Easter Road so well all know how effective that has been lately.

Success: Members know clearly when the team has met with success and share in this equally and proudly.

The metric of success isn't clear at Easter Road.

Training: Opportunities for feedback and updating skills are provided and taken advantage of by team members.

We do lots of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Last 10 Finishes:
    10th
    4th
    6th
    6th
    6th
    4th
    3rd
    8th
    7th
    10th

For me 6th isnt top end of SPL in an acceptable sense it may be in top half but IMO 6th is a failure for Hibs, 3x in last 10 seasons the club has finished imo at the top end of league where we are supposed to be finishing imo, if the mission statement means top end ie 6th is ok then we have even more problems. I expect them to not only compete at top end but to be more succesful at it. That statement can simply mean top 6 is ok, well it is not ok for me.

The Hibs board is failing the football club on the pitch no matter how much they are supposed to back managers it is simply bad appointments that cost Hibs. It is time somebody acted at the top of this club and got in some people whom can manage this club on the park, Hibs are wasting money year on year with this manger in/out carry on, signing players to suit every new manager then punting them or having them stay and contribute not a lot as the new manager doesnt rate them.

Best post on here for a while! Well said that man!

Testimonial Due
    Is this is new "why have they told us about any signings thread" equivalent?!

Yes, we have plenty of leadership we have a manager, a strong well appointed board, and a team of players that has been bolstered significantly over the past six months to the extent our new team manager has in place pretty much his own group of players, not bad in my view. Lets not forget a board that game him the support he needed to get the team we have.

I think out off all the teams in the league our club probably has had the strongest vision as to what they wanted to achieve over the last 5 years, and they have done that, again testament to their leadership.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    He wants a conglomerate to buy the club and put him in charge. That'll sort it right enough.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post

Personally I don't care much for mission statements, it's action that counts.
    ........and fans forums

Still waiting Fife
    Last edited by Removed; 29-06-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Battery grrr

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Is this is new "why have they told us about any signings thread" equivalent?!

Yes, we have plenty of leadership we have a manager, a strong well appointed board, and a team of players that has been bolstered significantly over the past six months to the extent our new team manager has in place pretty much his own group of players, not bad in my view. Lets not forget a board that game him the support he needed to get the team we have.

I think out off all the teams in the league our club probably has had the strongest vision as to what they wanted to achieve over the last 5 years, and they have done that, again testament to their leadership.

Is this on or off the park? Because the oft-quoted "competing at the top end of the league, latter stages of the cups, European qualification"...etc., has patently NOT been achieved even it that's what they "wanted to achieve" (to paraphrase you).

Or have I missed the cup semis/final appearances and European nights?

after the dire end to last season we have :

(1) a Manager that clearly doesn't feel he can commit to the club
    (2) a centre forward on a drugs charge
    (3) a midfielder on a disciplinary that in any other industry would be on a criminal charge & be dismissed already
    (4) a much lauded assistant (Adams) that has seen fit to move to a team that plays in a rural town with a population of a couple of thousand from Hibs

not good - amidst all that chaos our chairman says ? - absolutely nothing

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Last 10 Finishes:
    10th
    4th
    6th
    6th
    6th
    4th
    3rd
    8th
    7th
    10th

THE only word to describe Hibs pre season 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post
    after the dire end to last season we have :

(1) a Manager that clearly doesn't feel he can commit to the club
    (2) a centre forward on a drugs charge
    (3) a midfielder on a disciplinary that in any other industry would be on a criminal charge & be dismissed already
    (4) a much lauded assistant (Adams) that has seen fit to move to a team that plays in a rural town with a population of a couple of thousand from Hibs

not good - amidst all that chaos our chairman says ? - absolutely nothing
    He's good at it though

As for the earlier point re RP/SL's roles .. RP says and SL does. SL is ChEx in name only. RP has total control - he is the accountable one.

Leadership isn't just about communication so, while their communication is generally poor, I wouldn't use that as a barometer.

Leadership is about appointing the right people to key positions and giving them the tools, working environment and authority to be successful in that role. In that respect, Hibs have utterly failed.

Off the field, they're very good at building stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    We are also crying out for good leadership ON THE PARK!

It's something that's been sadly lacking for a number of years now and it's exactly why we need to sign an experienced pro who can cajole the others into going the extra mile when it is needed most.
    Somebody like Sean O'Hanlon perhaps? Wonder where he is these days

I think there are a few leaders in the team now, especially if we go with Murray in centre mid where I thought he did surprisingly well during our decent run. Was always said his legs had gone, which I agreed seemed to be the case when he was at LB but at CM he was box to box.

So with Stack in goals, O'Hanlon at the back (along with a growing leader in Hanlon), Murray in the middle and Gaz & Akpo up front I'd say we've a decent spine of leaders around. Ivan filling in too from wide. Stevenson has clocked up a rather surprising amount of appearances for Hibs as well, big season for him.