hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Boiler Problems?

Jumped in the shower this morning to find no hot water and went through to the kitchen and found my boiler was dead - no power light, nothing. Checked both the boiler power switch in the kitchen and the fusebox in my cupboard but both seemed OK.

The boiler had been making a grumbling noise from time to time over the last couple of weeks that I had put down to vibration.

Anyone able to recommend me a decent CORGI registered gas engineer in Edinburgh who could take a look?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Ours cut out and the flame wouldn't ignite on the inside.

The landlords mate came around and he said they need to be drained every 6 months to a year. Toggled something and away it went. Worked fine ever since.

That probably doesn't help but it sounds like a similar problem to what we had.

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Jamesie;2838775 The boiler had been making a grumbling noise from time to time over the last couple of weeks that I had put down to vibration.

QUOTE]

sounds as though its overheated. the grumblng noise could be the pump struggling to push the water round the pipes. some boilers have a reset switch which if tripped, cuts out all the power to the boiler and needs to be reset manually.
    have you checked to see you have enough pressure, should be a gauge on the front of the boiler? whats the boiler name i.e worcester 240, baxi 105?

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Woody1985;2838874]

The landlords mate came around and he said they need to be drained every 6 months to a year. QUOTE]

sounds like hes getting regular work for himself....cant think of any reason why he should recommend that, also if hes draining it down and refilling it, theres a huge increase of corrosion to the boiler, as hes adding fresh air and water to the system, hope hes adding inibitor

Divorce her and get a newer model.

Try Gaswarm - 0131 5351042. They are pretty straight I reckon.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Thanks guys. Turns out the circuit board had short circuited. Fixed now, done and dusted, but ta for the suggestions!

First Team Breakthrough
    good stuff :)

Testimonial Due
    Ive got an old boiler anyone looking for a trade-in?

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=shaunsinky;2838956]
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The landlords mate came around and he said they need to be drained every 6 months to a year. QUOTE]

sounds like hes getting regular work for himself....cant think of any reason why he should recommend that, also if hes draining it down and refilling it, theres a huge increase of corrosion to the boiler, as hes adding fresh air and water to the system, hope hes adding inibitor
    We never paid for it so wasn't costing us.