hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Day 2. This is Easy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have been a non-smoker for 3 weeks and 4 days.

I've saved £150 so far

This is my 3rd attempt in as many years and unlike the two previous occasions I know now that I cannot put a cigarette near my mouth again in the belief I can have the "odd one" and still be a non-smoker!

I'm either a smoker or I'm not.

Today I am not going to smoke

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will probably sound very strange, but I was given the advice when I stopped smoking of using a straw whenever I felt like I wanted to have a cigarette, it really worked for me although I must have looked a right muppet sitting smoking a straw. Also a DS or some other portable gaming device could help to distract you, I played my sons DS for the first few weeks to keep my hands busy.
    i will definitely need a distraction, maybe get a wee shot of the sons ipod touch

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    i will definitely need a distraction, maybe get a wee shot of the sons ipod touch
    You won't need a distraction if you read the book and follow the simple instructions.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    I have been a non-smoker for 3 weeks and 4 days.

I've saved £150 so far

This is my 3rd attempt in as many years and unlike the two previous occasions I know now that I cannot put a cigarette near my mouth again in the belief I can have the "odd one" and still be a non-smoker!

I'm either a smoker or I'm not.

Today I am not going to smoke

I'm sure your short stay in hospital has probably helped greatly too.
    Hope you are on the mend.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    That does make it tougher. Lots of people can't smoke because of their environment, you don't have that obstacle.

Try another approach. Not a replacement but something to help you along. Do you smoke a lot? My parents smoked their faces off and when they both quit they noticed how much they had been spending. It shocked them. Maybe every time you want a cigarette you put X pounds (whatever, you figure out the denomination) aside for a treat instead of smoking?

Maybe start a thread, for you and others (I'm sure this would have to be in the Dug Out) and post every day you go without a cigarette. More importantly, post every time you have a slip-up! Not so you can be lambasted but so you can receive the encouragement and support of others.

Maybe quitting will make your season ticket that more affordable.

EDIT: speaking of quitting, don't use that term because it has negative implications. So rather than quitting smoking, you're starting to live without smoking.
    I usually get through about 20-25 a day, and with regards to encouragement/support , any kind would be most welcome.

One thing i have not done is tell family and friends of my intentions, not even the wife is aware of this, maybe im being a bit daft but i feel that if i let on about it i will put extra pressure on myself.

I also have a potential headache this coming friday night, been invited to a free food and drink gig organised by the plumbers merchants i use, reluctant to miss it due to the money i have handed over to this mob over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You won't need a distraction if you read the book and follow the simple instructions.
    id rather not need a distraction, you make it sound so simple,

id rather not need a distraction, you make it sound so simple,
    I smoked for about 30 years. I was great at it. Often had 3 in my pit before getting up. Like you 20-25 a day and as many as the drink needed at ther weekend.

I read the book in a day, smoked while I did so, stopped that same day and I have never even considered having another cigatette since.

No patches, no polo mints, no distractions, no struggle with my will power.

Best book I have ever read, and the guy's not even a writer. Superb.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    I'm sure your short stay in hospital has probably helped greatly too.
    Hope you are on the mend.
    On the contrary. Being a non-smoker made my stay in hospital easier. I couldn't have gone ten hours without a fag before, never mind ten days :

And whilst being wheeled out of there today I passed by the smoking area. Oh my God there was one patient in pajammies and slippers standing with his drip at his side!!! Would I have been that desperate in the past??? Probably, yes

But not any more - no siree :

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I smoked for about 30 years. I was great at it. Often had 3 in my pit before getting up. Like you 20-25 a day and as many as the drink needed at ther weekend.

I read the book in a day, smoked while I did so, stopped that same day and I have never even considered having another cigatette since.

No patches, no polo mints, no distractions, no struggle with my will power.

Best book I have ever read, and the guy's not even a writer. Superb.
    That was an amazing feat , very well done

Bloody bollocks! Had my last fag on monday morning and here I am 48 hours later smoking away.

I read the last quarter of the book with a cold/man-flu thing when my head was up my erse. It still is.

It was OK on the first day but yesterday was a bad day and the "pangs" took over and rode roughshod over everything. I'm back to smoking automatically.

Pretty depressed that I've failed but I know it's my own fault for not getting the right frame of mind and doing more to get rid of the big one (those who have read the book will know what I mean).

I should have known because when I was about to have my last fag I was thinking about going somewhere special to have it.

It was also as if I was saying goodbye to an old friend when I'd finished it...tapping the wheelie bin I'd just put my last fag into.
    Looking back they are surely big no-no's. Giving the cigarette and my smoking too much value.

Something hasn't sunk in so it's time to start again.

'S' Form
    The wife and I were both heavy smokers about 40 to 50 a day each since we were teenagers about 30 years ago.

I read Carrs book and quit easily. The wife read it after me and she also found it easy to quit . We have both been happy non smokers for nearly 5 years now.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to quit. If you take your time and read the whole book you should be able to quit no worries

It only takes one whiff of the air outside Tesco or any pub to remind me how horrible I used to feel smoking.

The ability to take a flight of stairs two at a time without sweating or opting for the lift is so great.

Its interesting to hear about how you are all getting on as i gave up earlier this week.
    i gave up for over a year a few years back (thanks to the Allan Carr book which i recommend). Having not been tempted in all that time i started having the odd one...
    Anyway, im doing it for real this time. I know from the past that its not that hard and it doesnt take long to feel the benefits to health, wallet etc.
    Enjoy being a non smoker

Left by mutual consent!
    Smoking tonight. Day four. Went for a pint.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    Bloody bollocks! Had my last fag on monday morning and here I am 48 hours later smoking away.

I read the last quarter of the book with a cold/man-flu thing when my head was up my erse. It still is.

It was OK on the first day but yesterday was a bad day and the "pangs" took over and rode roughshod over everything. I'm back to smoking automatically.

Pretty depressed that I've failed but I know it's my own fault for not getting the right frame of mind and doing more to get rid of the big one (those who have read the book will know what I mean).

I should have known because when I was about to have my last fag I was thinking about going somewhere special to have it.

It was also as if I was saying goodbye to an old friend when I'd finished it...tapping the wheelie bin I'd just put my last fag into.
    Looking back they are surely big no-no's. Giving the cigarette and my smoking too much value.

Something hasn't sunk in so it's time to start again.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. I don't know if you remember when you started smoking, I do (me, not you) and I recall not liking it. I had to learn to like cigarettes, then the addiction came so that "liking" wasn't even a factor. I don't know what that book tells you to do and I don't want to trod all over the instructions so I'll not say any more. If you want to know how I beat the cancer sticks, read earlier in this thread. Your mileage might vary.

I'm confident that if you REALLY want to stop smoking, you can do it. You CAN overcome this. You WILL beat this!

Just ordered a copy.fingers crossed!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    i stopped 3 months ago and I found it really easy....honest
    I am not showing off, i am not saying i have huge will power
    I was prescribed Champix by my Doctor. the easy explanation is that
    it turns off the nicotine receptor in the brain. and it worked an absolute dream.
    I cannot believe what this drug done for me, it made it easy.
    yeah u still get a few cravings but nothing that a wee drop will power can't handle.
    in short I feel great, f you want to stop then ask the Doc for Champix!!!!

http://www.champixinfo.co.uk/

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    it turns off the nicotine receptor in the brain. and it worked an absolute dream.
    yeah u still get a few cravings but nothing that a wee drop will power can't handle.

That's what I used, can't recommend it highly enough, I know a few other people that have stopped using it too.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    That's what I used, can't recommend it highly enough, I know a few other people that have stopped using it too.
    i can't believe how little is known about it tho, cos if someone had told me when i smoked that there was a wee tablet that took 85% of the grief away and it would be pretty easy i would have tried ages ago!

Thumbs Up It's all good!

What are the health benefits of stopping smoking?

The risk of getting cancer and other diseases reduces after you stop smoking, including:

•The risk of cancers of the mouth, throat and oesphagus are halved after you have quit for five years.

•The risk of cancer of the lung is halved after you have quit for ten years.

•The risk of heart disease is halved after you have quit for one year, and after fifteen years the risk is almost as low as if you had never smoked.

•The risk of a low birth weight baby is removed if you quit before you fall pregnant or during the first three months of pregnancy.

•Lung function increases by up to 10% between three and nine months after quitting, improving your "smoker's cough" and wheeziness

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

i can't believe how little is known about it tho, cos if someone had told me when i smoked that there was a wee tablet that took 85% of the grief away and it would be pretty easy i would have tried ages ago!
    Is it maybe to do with side effects? I know when I stopped, I used Zyban which was prescribed by my doctor and I know they stopped using it because of the side effects of depression and suicide - lol!!
    The only side effects I had was sleep disturbance. Had a mare for about 2 weeks but persevered and never looked back. Fluck the nicotine patches, tablets from the doc are the way to go!!

First Team Breakthrough
    well done to all who have quit!

i love smoking

BUT, i have bought this book after reading this thread. tho i am quite scared to read it - i might now want a fag!!

may read a few pages but will continue to smoke whilst reading it just so when i want to quit i can.

p.s. i do actually want to quit... but still enjoy it!

Ok this post on this subject is probably about a week later than i anticipated, since my last post i basically got frightened and never read any more of the book for 9 days, finished it yesterday afternoon, i was basically in denial as i could have done the book in a day or two.

Its easily more than 24 hours now and i am still clean (this may seem pathetic to a lot reading this) , but its hard going , its like a part of you is missing and there is a void a huge void at times, as i write this im having a beer in the house and the wife is a smoker, fidgety as ***** , but i really want to be rid of this monster

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Ok this post on this subject is probably about a week later than i anticipated, since my last post i basically got frightened and never read any more of the book for 9 days, finished it yesterday afternoon, i was basically in denial as i could have done the book in a day or two.

Its easily more than 24 hours now and i am still clean (this may seem pathetic to a lot reading this) , but its hard going , its like a part of you is missing and there is a void a huge void at times, as i write this im having a beer in the house and the wife is a smoker, fidgety as ***** , but i really want to be rid of this monster
    Stick with it, you know in the back of your head that you are doing the right thing. When I stopped, my other half (at the time) continued to smoke and it didn't really bother me. I actually noticed that I got really twitchy about 2 months after I had given up and he went away on business, which meant the house was smoke free. Must have been getting a wee hit from the secondary smoke.
    Keep at it, one day at a time.

best book ever!...after 26 years of smoking i finally kicked the habit 4 years ago thanks to this book...i think of it as a book that re conditions the brain and strips it of the brainwashing that the tobacco companies have planted inside it...i now despise smokers for the gullible, deluded, smelly cash cows that they are....probably because i see my former self in them.

Cheers for the encouragement max.

I think there might be a flaw or two in the book as far as I'm concerned.

Its when he talks about the enjoyment of inhaling as being fake and "suffocation". I do like that sensation and don't get that comparison. Maybe he doesn't stress that enough because while it might be true...it simply doesn't register.

The second is that there is a contradiction in the book. I can't remember it and it was subtle...but it was enough to blow the theory out the water at the time of weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    Stick with it, you know in the back of your head that you are doing the right thing. When I stopped, my other half (at the time) continued to smoke and it didn't really bother me. I actually noticed that I got really twitchy about 2 months after I had given up and he went away on business, which meant the house was smoke free. Must have been getting a wee hit from the secondary smoke.
    Keep at it, one day at a time.
    thanks arab , well i managed to make it through the weekend without folding , and that included a night at the boozer on sat , so im quite pleased with myself