hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Losing weight

Losing weight

Can anyone recommend a quick sure fire way of losing wait. Was trying on my holiday clothes and caught sight of a frightful figure. Going to have a blow out while I'm away but need to get my **** in gear when I get back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Eat less,do more=simple weight loss.
    (and I'm not taking the piss).

Easiest way is normal breakfast & evening meal but rest time only eat fruit/yoghurt little but often. I.e don't allow yourself to feel hungry :-)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Don't eat carbs. Or if you need to only eat them for breakfast. Then eat meat + veg. Drink loads of water and green tea. Exercise. Easy

@hibs.net private member
    Scottish slimmers. Eat what you want as long as you account for it in your daily allowance. I have lost 9 and a half pounds in a fortnight. Never been hungry really and if I get peckish I have something. A diet wont work if you are constantly hungry or if you arent allowed certain things.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A diet wont work if you are constantly hungry or if you arent allowed certain things.
    Hmmm I disagree. If you have the will power and accept it isn't easy and it is a lifestyle change then it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Scottish slimmers. Eat what you want as long as you account for it in your daily allowance. I have lost 9 and a half pounds in a fortnight. Never been hungry really and if I get peckish I have something. A diet wont work if you are constantly hungry or if you arent allowed certain things.
    Yip ..I lost bang on 2 stone in 6 weeks ...then put most of it back on within 3 !!! ..twas the lager's fault ..

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA6 View Post
    Yip ..I lost bang on 2 stone in 6 weeks ...then put most of it back on within 3 !!! ..twas the lager's fault ..
    That cannae be good for you, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    If you have it to lose it is

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevitt View Post
    Hmmm I disagree. If you have the will power and accept it isn't easy and it is a lifestyle change then it's possible.
    Have you ever been overweight and had to control your food intake?The majority of overweight people got there from lack of control in the first place. If you are hungry all of the time and have control issues anyway I can guarantee you the diet wont work.

You can disagree all you want - I have lost over half a stone in a short amount of time and not allowed myself to feel hungry. Its very possible and much easier my way than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    All above board, Ive done it 3 times now, twice with Weightwatchers & once just recently with Scottish Slimmers ..of the 3 times I lost almost identical weights within the exact time period..my GP was happy with the loss too, absolutley no problems...

BTW im no massive either, according to my class leader at SS I just have a fast burning metabolism...problem is ..it goes back on twice as fast...

All I done was walk plenty, eat healthily & stop drinking lager ..

Breakfast like a King...Supper like a Pauper

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    i've been on a low carb, high protein diet since november and lost over 4 stone.

hit a bit of a wall at the moment as not really following any kind of set plan! going to go to a diet class though as feel that would help more

First Team Breakthrough
    Start swimming regurarly, best form of excercise.

My personal trainer advised me that your legs are the fastest muscles to build and when you work your legs, your body releases more growth hormones. When you increase muscle mass, your body burns calories to fuel your body more rapidly.

Then there's the usual try to eat 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism firing all day.

Remember, not all fats are bad. Olives are so high in fat, its unbelievable, but it's essential oil and fat as are your fish fats Omega 3 etc... Not a Chippy!!!

Snack on nuts which are a good source of protein keeping your hunger at bay longer while also fuelling your muscles.

If you are really dedicated, stay away from sugar COMPLETELY. You'll notice a massive difference in just a few weeks.

Apprently, eggs fried in olive oil are excellentfor metabolising fat (I don't know why or even if it's true as I have an intolerance to eggs)

Everyone is different so its a bit of a waste of energy following something just because its worked for someone else. Saying that...

Whats a guaranteed winner is a) cut down portion sizes b) do more exercise and c) dont exclude any one food group for any length of time. Cutting out carbs will give you short term weight loss but you'll put it back on eventually, and its very bad for your allround health. Carbs are vital especially if youre exercising regularly.

Oh and join up Hibs Football Fans In Training (FFIT) scheme; 0131 661 2159 :-)
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 10-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Eat small meals often, and chew your food slowly. It allows your body to digest it and stops you from shoveling down more food than it needs. Do alot of swimming and HIIT training (High Intensity Interval Training.) The rowing machines at the gym are also good for a full body workout. As other people have said, don't cut out any of your diet completely, just cut down on the portions and cut down on the frequency of things like takeaways. If you stick to the rest of your diet then you CAN still eat the things you like aswell. Drink loads of cold water and avoid lager and change from white bread/pasta/rice to brown and eat white meats such as fish, turkey and chicken. Cut out fizzy juice aswell.

Thanks for the replies everyone . Going to have a look into the Scottish slimmers thing and see what it's all about, that and start doing some more exercise.
    Is walking still the best way? How far do people think the average person would have to walk each day for it to start taking effect? I'm also thinking of an exercise bike, they any good?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone . Going to have a look into the Scottish slimmers thing and see what it's all about, that and start doing some more exercise.
    Is walking still the best way? How far do people think the average person would have to walk each day for it to start taking effect? I'm also thinking of an exercise bike, they any good?
    Like I said in my post ..Scottish Slimmers, a decent walk (didnt really have any particular distance, prob just a couple of miles or less a day )..think the biggest factor for me was the walking & cutting down on lager ..one I hate & the other I loved ..

Week 1/ I lost 6 1/2 lb
    Week 2/ I lost 2 lb
    Week 3/ I lost 8 lb
    Week 4/ I lost 2 lb
    Week 5/ I lost 7 lb
    Week 6/ I lost 2 1/2 lb

28lb in 6 weeks ..note the high/low difference each week ..

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    Breakfast like a King...Supper like a Pauper
    Have to agree with this theory. I've lost over two stone in a few months filling myself up early on.

Since I started nightshift I get up and have cereal for "breakfast" around 2pm. I have tea at fiveish which involves a normal meal plus bits of buttered bread to really fill me up. From six at night to six in the morning I have a flask of green tea, some water and maybe a bit of fruit or a bag of crisps around midnight. It's all I need because the earlier meals have provided me with enough "fuel" to get through untill I hit the sack in the morning.

If I was to ever go back to normal day working I couldn't go back to having my main meal at tea time. Why would you need the meal with the highest calorie content only a few hours before you go to bed? A sensible thing to do would be to have a monster breakfast and lunch and then something very small at tea time.

The thing I have been forced to do is look at food as fuel, which is really what it is...and only eat in the later part of the day when I'm hungry.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    Have to agree with this theory. I've lost over two stone in a few months filling myself up early on.

Since I started nightshift I get up and have cereal for "breakfast" around 2pm. I have tea at fiveish which involves a normal meal plus bits of buttered bread to really fill me up. From six at night to six in the morning I have a flask of green tea, some water and maybe a bit of fruit or a bag of crisps around midnight. It's all I need because the earlier meals have provided me with enough "fuel" to get through untill I hit the sack in the morning.

If I was to ever go back to normal day working I couldn't go back to having my main meal at tea time. Why would you need the meal with the highest calorie content only a few hours before you go to bed? A sensible thing to do would be to have a monster breakfast and lunch and then something very small at tea time.

The thing I have been forced to do is look at food as fuel, which is really what it is...and only eat in the later part of the day when I'm hungry.
    That's all well and good in theory (as my personal trainer has told me the same) but when I get up in the morning I don't have time to make loads for breakfast and I also couldn't eat loads first thing in the morning. Similar at lunchtime, when I eat loads I feel sick and sluggish for the rest of the afternoon.

Guess I'll just have to put up with being fat!