hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Alex Edwards

Left by mutual consent! greenteam's Avatar

Alex Edwards

Being out the country for years, Ive missed lots of news and footie related stuff.
    My question is. Does anyone know where he now lives. I was at his house in !975 in Cairnyhill (near Dunfermline) when I was 8 and he gave me my first Hibs top. I heard he moved to Arbroath. Anybody know?. He must be 65 by now. thanks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenteam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Being out the country for years, Ive missed lots of news and footie related stuff.
    My question is. Does anyone know where he now lives. I was at his house in !975 in Cairnyhill (near Dunfermline) when I was 8 and he gave me my first Hibs top. I heard he moved to Arbroath. Anybody know?. He must be 65 by now. thanks.
    The guy was my favourite player as a kid thought he was brilliant.

Yea, thought that too. Im trying to find the guy that took me to every Hibs home game from 1969 to 1983. He was a good mate of Alex and was hoping to find tthe guy through him.
    Never got the chance to thank him for making me a hibbie.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    snap

He was the subject of a great article in the Hootsmonthenoo about a year ago, maybe slightly longer, he was in Cairnyhill at the time.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the Hibs Former Players Association could help? Contact through the club -I think Paul Kane runs it. Good luck
    Alternately, Mickey was at the book launch for Stanton's Dream Team, so I presume Black and White Publishing would have a contact
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He was the subject of a great article in the Hootsmonthenoo about a year ago, maybe slightly longer, he was in Cairnyhill at the time.
    Thanks for that, will try find out through mates in Cairnyhill. They must know.
    I grew up in Crossford and Craig Leveins mum lived on the corner. Hated him at the time as he was playing for the yams.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Maybe the Hibs Former Players Association could help? Contact through the club -I think Paul Kane runs it. Good luck
    Alternately, Mickey was at the book launch for Stanton's Dream Team, so I presume Black and White Publishing would have a contact
    Thanks mate. Will try that now. Im in Manchester at the moment, but visiting soon, so would be good to get a lead on him....thanks again.

As Prem Kumar in Slumdog Millionaire would say - "Wot a plaaayyeerr"

Think he played in Dunfermline team that beat Valencia 6-2. Those were the days.
    Wish I could of seen the Barcelona 4 Hibs 4 game. Anyway, back to reality.:cgwa

First Team Breakthrough Hibees07's Avatar
    Funny you should ask as there is a piece about him in the Dunfermline Press this week, apparently he spotted a big black cat in the Cairneyhill area.

They mention his address as Hilton Road, I assume that is Cairneyhill, although I'm sure there is a Hilton Road in Rosyth.

Hope this helps.

Just so you're all aware - we won't allow any personal details posted in here.

First Team Breakthrough Hibees07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA9 View Post
    Just so you're all aware - we won't allow any personal details posted in here.

Soz, but it is in the Newspaper for public consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees07 View Post
    Soz, but it is in the Newspaper for public consumption.
    His exact address was? We won't allow it.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He was a salesman with Alloa Brewery Co which could be another avenue of investigation for you.

He still stays in cairnyhill, same house.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Alex has rightly been labelled "Scotland's best ever uncapped player."

The wee man was an absolute genius and a great entertainer but unfortunately he also had a fiery temper which hampered him throughout his career.

Thanks for that, will try find out through mates in Cairnyhill. They must know.
    I grew up in Crossford and Craig Leveins mum lived on the corner. Hated him at the time as he was playing for the yams.
    Same here, he moved into the house accross the road from me in Crossford, and use to give me grief kicking the ball about. I was wearing my Hibs top and he was playing for Hearts. I hated him, but he was nice guy, very quiet,He still lives in Crossford I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

The wee man was an absolute genius and a great entertainer but unfortunately he also had a fiery temper which hampered him throughout his career.
    He was summed up for me when we were about 6-0 up against Cowdenbeath and he ran 50 yards to become the third player booked(after Gordon and O'Rourke)in the same incident-dissent over a wrong offside call.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

Yet other equally fiery players managed to don the dark blue such as Alex MacDonald and Willie Johnston.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I think he was at the Eddie Turnbull tribute game though I might be wrong.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Same here although I have to admit he shared that honour with Sir pat and Jimmy O'Rourke...............

A fantastic footballer who could ping a cross field pass 40 yards onto a sixpence

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Regal View Post
    Same here, he moved into the house accross the road from me in Crossford, and use to give me grief kicking the ball about. I was wearing my Hibs top and he was playing for Hearts. I hated him, but he was nice guy, very quiet,He still lives in Crossford I believe.

I dont think so.................................

First Team Breakthrough Frank Moon's Avatar
    By coincidence he is in the Dunfermline Press Newspaper this week as he 'saw a Puma' near his home in Cairneyhill.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post
    I dont think so.................................
    He's talking about Levein, who very definitely did. And looks like he still should the ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    He's talking about Levein, who very definitely did. And looks like he still should the ****.

Missed that !

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    He was summed up for me when we were about 6-0 up against Cowdenbeath and he ran 50 yards to become the third player booked(after Gordon and O'Rourke)in the same incident-dissent over a wrong offside call.
    He might be better summed up by a look at the 7-0 game, with his exquisite passing playing a big part in some orf the goals.

As somebody mentioned, the article in the Scotman was fantastic and a reminder that Alex was very succesful with Dunfermline in the sixties. I believe the guy made his first team debut whilst still only 15. The temprement thing is over played. He was the victim of some shocking abuse on a weekly basis and referees seemed to turn a blind eye to it whilst having radar ears for any negative comment the wee man might make about it. I believe his 60 day suspension was for throwing the ball away after he had been near assasinated by an East Fife player in the same game as Brownlie had his leg broken, says it all really.