hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the current Spanish side are better than the Brazil 1970 side, its not really a valid comparison though. Due to fitness levels the 1970 Brazil team would be goosed after an hour methinks.
    Quite right it's a faulty comparison.

40 years ago, Messi's hormone deficiancy would have prevented him from ever playing professionally.

Not saying you've done this, but I find it funny that people do that in comparisons, 'Team X wouldn't stand a chance because of modern training methods...'

It works both ways. Players in the 60s had to play with a ball that weighed half a ton, on pitches that at times resembled the Western Front and wearing boots that were closer to Doc Martens than the sculpted neon creations of today. How would Barca have fared in those conditions?

Talent will out. I for one shudder to think how good Puskas would have been if he'd not been the little fat guy and been trained to modern fitness standards.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    Quite right it's a faulty comparison.

40 years ago, Messi's hormone deficiancy would have prevented him from ever playing professionally.

Not saying you've done this, but I find it funny that people do that in comparisons, 'Team X wouldn't stand a chance because of modern training methods...'

It works both ways. Players in the 60s had to play with a ball that weighed half a ton, on pitches that at times resembled the Western Front and wearing boots that were closer to Doc Martens than the sculpted neon creations of today. How would Barca have fared in those conditions?

Talent will out. I for one shudder to think how good Puskas would have been if he'd not been the little fat guy and been trained to modern fitness standards.
    And Brazil done it when the opposition were allowed to make contact without getting sent off.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    And Brazil done it when the opposition were allowed to make contact without getting sent off.
    They didn't manage it in the year that England won it though (can't remember exactly - think it was just before 1970). So that England would have a chance to win the tournament, refs were instructed to allow players to kick Brasil off the park. Portugal's duly did, off the park and out the competition

Who was head of FIFA at the time, what nationality was he and was he ever investigated for corruption?

It's the old story. You can't really compare teams from different eras.

The Ajax team from the 1970s played a similar "total football" game to Barca. Coincidentally, they also had one particular left-footed superstar.

If Ajax had been subjected to present day training and health standards they would have given Barca a game for sure.

Same goes for erstwhile teams from Real Madrid, Brazil, Bayern, Liverpool etc etc.

Definitely. Equally, Sacchi's Milan team benefited from a time before the offside rule was liberalised and when goalies could pick up back passes. They were able to squeeze the play into a small are of the pitch.

They would struggle against Barça today just as much as Barça would struggle without so much space to play in. Although a team with Gullit, Rijkard, van Basten, Baresi and Maldini would prosper in any era. Just as a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa would.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Everyone else plays football, Barcelona are doing something above that.

Messi is just exceptional, with the ball and without. For me though Xavi and in particular Iniesta are the beating heart of it. Never seen better, doubt I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Everyone else plays football, Barcelona are doing something above that.

Messi is just exceptional, with the ball and without. For me though Xavi and in particular Iniesta are the beating heart of it. Never seen better, doubt I ever will.
    Iniesta is without doubt a fantastic player but for me Xavi is the best midfield player I have EVER seen. If you were picking an all time 11 I dont see how you could look past Xaxi as your playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeith View Post
    Iniesta is without doubt a fantastic player but for me Xavi is the best midfield player I have EVER seen. If you were picking an all time 11 I dont see how you could look past Xaxi as your playmaker.
    Indeed.

That's why they are, for me, the best TEAM ever. It's not just Messi, if he was anywhere else we'd be talking about him being a one man band, but with Barca it is their whole forward 6, they function together incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    So who is the better team then, Barca or the current Spanish team?
    Very tricky one that!
    Wouldnae be much in it, if you could clone the players so that Barcas Spanish players could be playing in both sides it would be some game tho!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    Definitely. Equally, Sacchi's Milan team benefited from a time before the offside rule was liberalised and when goalies could pick up back passes. They were able to squeeze the play into a small are of the pitch.

They would struggle against Barça today just as much as Barça would struggle without so much space to play in. Although a team with Gullit, Rijkard, van Basten, Baresi and Maldini would prosper in any era. Just as a team with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Villa would.
    I dunno likesay. At their height, Milan horsed a very, very good Barca team 4-0 in the EC final. I think you're being a little bit harsh and kind of playing down how bloody good Baresi & co were. Those guys barely broke sweat, they were that good.

Wormit Amateurs were pretty damn good in 1956.

Club 12 (2013) Supporter Stokesy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sh00byd00 View Post
    I dunno likesay. At their height, Milan horsed a very, very good Barca team 4-0 in the EC final. I think you're being a little bit harsh and kind of playing down how bloody good Baresi & co were. Those guys barely broke sweat, they were that good.
    Baresi and Costacurta were suspended and van Basten was injured for that game.

Could have been a lot worse for Barca.
    Last edited by Stokesy; 31-05-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli_619 View Post

They would lack world-class full-backs and a truly top-level striker -- have to "make do" with Bojan, Sergio Garcia, Serrano etc -- but a midfield of Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets and Iniesta (eligible throtugh residency) is frightening. Valdés, Puyol and Pique would be a strong foundation at the back. They'd certainly sh** all over the rest of Spain.
    Know he's getting on a bit but you've also got Tamudo to play up front.
    Think your talking a bit tom kite though. They'd beat a team of players from the Castilla regions but doubt they'd beat a team made up from all over the rest of Spain. Your also presuming Iniesta would pick a Catalan team over a Spanish team.