hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    Being an official old fart now, I can nominate a few, who probably have been 'forgotten about''.

Jim Scott, who could dribble up the touchline like nobody I have seen since.

Eric Stevenson who could beat a man on a sixpence on the left wing, and also dive from halfway and land in the box in search of a penalty..8-)

Wee Johnny Hamilton, who burned out after a season'on the right wing, but during his 15 minutes of fame was a defender's nightmare.

And of course, Willie Hamilton, who hasnt been forgotten about,, but was simply Willie Hamilton, and defies explanation!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs supporters over the last 40-50 years have been spoiled with having the joy to have watched players of the ability of STANTON, Edwards, Latapy, Best, Weir, SAUZEE to name but a few.

My own favourite player is of course STANTON for sheer brilliance in everything he did made the man the idol of many. IMHO the only man close enough to him was SAUZEE. Between them, though generations apart, they wore the jersey with pride, respect and sheer CLASS!!!!

But as much as being the best there was, i have to say the Edwards was a sheer delight to watch on the ball. He was battered about the place by big huddies that couldnt get near him, but always managed to get a beauty of a pass through to Brownlie coming down the wing. Poor wee thing must have been black and blue after a game. (if he stayed on the park that long)!

Cropley on his game was always a treat, Georgie boy, well it goes with out saying.

Not one of our present "heroes" could lace any of their boots in terms of skill, ability and sheer class. These guys and many more live on in our memories.

@hibs.net private member
    In terms of sheer ability to do things with a football its a toss up between Alex Cropley and Alex Edwards with Cropley just shading it for me. I recall being in the enclosure in front of the main stand and watched spellbound as Cropley scored from the byeline about 8 yards from the near post. Bent it over a melee of players into the far corner. Can still see it yet.

Had Best and Sauzee been here in their prime they may have edged it, or Baker who I only saw in his second spell. I didnt see the FF

In my lifetime Latapy.

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [/B]

zemmama should not be mentioned in the same breath as the others you nominate...and to have him before collins beggars belief..
    He certainly DOES deserve a mention and youre being ridiculously dismussive of the wee man. Zemmama was outrageously skilful, probably more so than Collins who did however have a better all round game.

In my lifetime its either Best or Latapy.

Gordon Smith by a COUNTRY MILE

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Alex Cropley followed by Alex Edwards

What about peter marinello he was great he just went to the wrong club and city

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

In my near 40 years, in no particular order...

Alex Edwards
    Pat Stanton
    Franck Sauzee
    Russell Latapy
    Ally McLeod
    John Collins

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    He certainly DOES deserve a mention and youre being ridiculously dismussive of the wee man. Zemmama was outrageously skilful, probably more so than Collins who did however have a better all round game.

In my lifetime its either Best or Latapy.
    Exactly, they may not have done it for the same period of time but the likes of Zemmama and I'd add Boozy in there as well were as skillful as most.

I still salivate thinking of Boozy taking the mickey out of Lennon only to let him try again and leaving him on his erky dinking the ball over him again

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Latapy in my lifetime.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Cropley or Latapy.

Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that out of all the names mentioned no-ones mentioned Deeks .

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that out of all the names mentioned no-ones mentioned Deeks .
    If the question was best finisher you have seen at Hibs then he would probably get more than a few mentions. Denis Law put a few away for Manchester United but he wouldn't be the first name to spring to mind when asking who the most skillful player ever to wear the red shirts was.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Being an official old fart now, I can nominate a few, who probably have been 'forgotten about''.

Jim Scott, who could dribble up the touchline like nobody I have seen since.

Eric Stevenson who could beat a man on a sixpence on the left wing, and also dive from halfway and land in the box in search of a penalty..8-)

Wee Johnny Hamilton, who burned out after a season'on the right wing, but during his 15 minutes of fame was a defender's nightmare.

And of course, Willie Hamilton, who hasnt been forgotten about,, but was simply Willie Hamilton, and defies explanation!
    I think you may mean wee Johnny Grant-about the height of a corner flag.

Those who are naming Best are kidding themselves.

Promising Youngster ForrieGreen's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x iMcEwan x
    Nish, No doubt about it!

Big John Mcnamee, who had the skill of just having to look at a player, to put the ******rs right up them. He also scored some cracking goals from corner kicks for us, I loved that big guy. Just what we need now, a c/h who cleared his lines and took no prisoners.

If we are looking for skill with the ball at his feet Bobby Johnstone takes a bit of beating. As an all round footballer it has to be between Smith and Stanton. The whole question is subjective and I rather like the answer of Ally Brazil. My boys were youngsters when he was at his peak and his name crops up more often than not when we discuss these times.

Left by mutual consent!
    Latapy
    Sauzee
    Riordan
    Zouma