hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 529

The attendance at the Carling Nations Cup match between Wales and Northern Ireland yesterday. Stadium about 1% full or 99% empty.

Hardly surprising I suppose seeing as there was nothing to play for and it was played in Dublin but it must have been strange to the players to play in front of such a small crowd.

Thankfully Ireland have a chance to win the cup so there should be a good crowd tomorrow night in Dublin to face Scotland.

C'mon Scotland.

2. Log in to remove the advert

'S' Form
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: alen_orman
    There was over 6000 there.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadou_Konte View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was over 6000 there.
    Sure you're not thinking about Wales v Scotland?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nd-nations-cup

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    The attendance at the Carling Nations Cup match between Wales and Northern Ireland yesterday. Stadium about 1% full or 99% empty.

Hardly surprising I suppose seeing as there was nothing to play for and it was played in Dublin but it must have been strange to the players to play in front of such a small crowd.

Thankfully Ireland have a chance to win the cup so there should be a good crowd tomorrow night in Dublin to face Scotland.

C'mon Scotland.
    Is that the lowest crowd ever at an international match ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Only 20 odd NI fans there due to a boycott. After the bother at the Scotland game when they had over 5000 in Dublin, they could only buy a ticket if they travelled by official coach, which cost £30 and went directly to and from the ground with no chance of a beer. Also the NI fans were protesting about the Republic picking their catholic player.

No excue for the Welsh fans though. They only had about 100 fans at both this game and the Scotland game.

I expect around 3500 Tartan Army again tomorrow night which is a great support!

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Is that the lowest crowd ever at an international match ?
    No. Only 300 turned up for the Romania v Peru match in the 1930 World Cup in Uruguay.

http://footballmundial.tripod.com/wc/wc_1930uruguay.htm

That could be the lowest unless anyone knows different. Games played behind closed doors will not be counted.

I'm no at all surpurised by these crowds, the FA's have planned this tournament all wrong. When talks began it was to be a summer tournament held in one nation, I thought that would be 6 games in one week (Sat, Wed, Sat) in June using a few stadia (though the hosts playing at the national stadium).
    What we have is two games during the season and four within a few days at the arse end of the season. Still think it is a good idea but the format needs serious attention.

Would have thought the likes of San Marino and Andorra would be able to challenge a few crowds like that.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Wales, Ireland, N.Ireland and Scotland are - in geographical terms - in such close proximity with decent transport links (all 4 capital cities have airports) that it would be just as easy to have home/away fixtures, and more likely to get a decent crowd. I'm honestly not suprised wales v n.ireland being played in ireland got a low crowd.

I hope this finally kills off the calls we frequently get to bring back the annual home internationals.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Just play at all grounds during the tournament, possibly play each team twice, once at home and once away, and it would see crowds increase a fair bit IMO.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Weil View Post
    I'm no at all surpurised by these crowds, the FA's have planned this tournament all wrong. When talks began it was to be a summer tournament held in one nation, I thought that would be 6 games in one week (Sat, Wed, Sat) in June using a few stadia (though the hosts playing at the national stadium).
    What we have is two games during the season and four within a few days at the arse end of the season. Still think it is a good idea but the format needs serious attention.
    I agree it should have been played over a week, 2 games on the Monday & Thursday nights at smaller stadiums and then 2 games at a bigger stadium on the Sunday, a 3rd & 4th play off then a game to decide the winners with your ticket getting you in for both games.