hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Callum Davidson

How about something novel like this?

We sign a player of decent calibre in the next week - the club make a big song and dance about it, and the manager thanks the Board for backing him/going the extra mile, and then says somethng like " we realise it was a crap season last year, but if the supporters rally round and buy season tickets, there'll be more like this guy."

But then that's not the Hibs way is it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More interesting would be comparing those figures to other clubs. Obviously once you're into August deals are likely to be towards the end of the month with clubs likely to hold off selling till they get replacements in, and players trying to maximise the money they can get.
    It would indeed. I did the Hibs stats, so feel free to work on the other clubs.

Early on signings are likely predominately free transfers, like Sproule this year.
    About 80% of our signings over that period have been 'frees' so that shouldn't inhibit us.

Quote Originally Posted by new malkyhib View Post
    How about something novel like this?

We sign a player of decent calibre in the next week - the club make a big song and dance about it, and the manager thanks the Board for backing him/going the extra mile, and then says somethng like " we realise it was a crap season last year, but if the supporters rally round and buy season tickets, there'll be more like this guy."

But then that's not the Hibs way is it?
    But then that assumes that us signing a player is totally our own decision. We could be in for guys whose contracts still have a few weeks to run and clubs won't release them. Clubs who don't want to sell till they get a replacement in etc etc.

I'd rather CC gets the men he wants, rather than scrabbling around to sign someone now for the sake of it.

But then that assumes that us signing a player is totally our own decision. We could be in for guys whose contracts still have a few weeks to run and clubs won't release them. Clubs who don't want to sell till they get a replacement in etc etc.

I'd rather CC gets the men he wants, rather than scrabbling around to sign someone now for the sake of it.

I'd rather he signed someone decent now to try and boost season ticket sales, rather than wait until the end of the window when we're scrabbling around for the dross as per usual...

[/B]

I'd rather he signed someone decent now to try and boost season ticket sales, rather than wait until the end of the window when we're scrabbling around for the dross as per usual...
    My point is, what if the players he wants aren't available now, you were complaining that we should sign someone now, should he go for someone just for the sake of it?

As for the end of the window, considering our more recent deadline day captures have probably been our better / more exciting signings (Stokes, Miller, Riordan et all) I don't know about it being scrabbling around. For me, if we can get a better player in on deadline day than we can get in tomorrow, I'd rather wait.

Just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening. It's still May for gods sake!
    Last edited by ScottB; 28-05-2011 at 01:32 PM.

My point is, what if the players he want aren't available now, you were complaining that we should sign someone now, should he go for something just for the sake of it?

As for the end of the window, considering our more recent deadline day captures have probably been our better / more exciting signings (Stokes, Miller, Riordan et all).

Just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening. It's still May for gods sake!
    Well he did break cover last week/was put up by the Board(?) to say he was "excited" if he gets two of his signings? Suggested someting was imminent to me...

Other clubs are strengthening now with players (you would imagine) would go straight in to their first teams. Why not us for once?

Or would you prefer another January when we signed the players later in the month AFTER the Cup games and the Derby match?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Well he did break cover last week/was put up by the Board(?) to say he was "excited" if he gets two of his signings? Suggested someting was imminent to me...

Other clubs are strengthening now with players (you would imagine) would go straight in to their first teams. Why not us for once?
    Or would you prefer another January when we signed the players later in the month AFTER the Cup games and the Derby match?
    Who? Dont say hearts, we cant match their wages. Would you like Davidson? Who have any of our competitors signed that you'd like to have seen at easter road?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Who? Dont say hearts, we cant match their wages. Would you like Davidson? Who have any of our competitors signed that you'd like to have seen at easter road?

Flood? Robertson?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Flood? Robertson?
    The same Flood thats hardly kicked a ball in 2 years, hows his form been? And Robertson, really????

Considering this is May, that's an irrelevance frankly.

As for United signing Flood, no different at all from us signing Sproule. But apparently that is United strengthening early while it seems us doing the exact same sort of deal doesn't count...