hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due

FAO Amateur photographers

Im looking for some recommendations about cameras.

Im wanting to get a new camera - one that will be fit for someone with little experience of photography but who would like to improve and with a bidget of around £300

Any recommendations?

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

Definitely go DSLR if you can afford it. I haven't kept up with reviews but in general you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Think this would be perfect:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

if you're just starting the Cannon 500d or 550d is great for beginners. Little more than your budget, but I'd say buy the best you can afford or save for longer as its so addictive that once you get to grips you'll be wanting to upgrade, buy new lenses etc.

failing that nikon are good cameras as well, I've never used them but never heard a poor review.

it's a fantastic hobby! good luck.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    It's worth looking at Sony as well, the A380 or A580 if you can up the budget a bit, good cameras with the added bonus of being able to buy old Minolta SLR lenses which are compatible and a lot cheaper.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    The most important thing to know before recommending a camera is what you will use it for......

If you are looking for a camera for travelling with and you don't want to hump around a whole load of bulky lenses etc then you can't beat a Panasonic TZ compact camera. The current models are the TZ18 and TZ20 which are a bit pricey but you can pick up a TZ8 or TZ10 for a lot less. They come with Leica lenses and have 12x or 16x zoom lenses. Not much good for action photography unfortunately but excellent for most other types of photography. I am still using my TZ3 which I purchased almost 4 years ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu...6513770&sr=1-2