hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Cuba

Cuba

has anyone been?, just about to book a holiday there and looking for advise on hotel's

looked at the usual trip advisor stuff but as usual the serial complainers or competitors tarnish every hotel, so looking for real advise on decent hotels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    has anyone been?, just about to book a holiday there and looking for advise on hotel's

looked at the usual trip advisor stuff but as usual the serial complainers or competitors tarnish every hotel, so looking for real advise on decent hotels
    was there a few years back, stayed in the barcelo solymar in the varadero area, had a cracking time

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Was there a few years back, and had the holiday of my life.

I travelled about, across the whole island, which may not be what you're looking for. I stayed in what are known as Casas, which are guest houses run by locals.
    Better food, more comfortable and an all round better cultural experience. They are not your fancy tourist hotels, but that has never been my thing.

Be ready for the hustling of your life... for cigars, hotels, taxis, sex... but unlike other places, a gentle and polite rebuff works wonders. Ignorance does not.

Fabulous place, fascinating people and culture.

I went about 7 years ago and had a brilliant time. Wasnt too fussed by the whole Varadero experience, i cant remember the name of the hotel but i get the impression theyre all pretty similar, german-owned and so reasonably high standards of food etc.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to get out of the resort and see the real Cuba. Trinidad and Old Habana are unmissable, even if youre staying at an all-inclusive place there are usually plenty of bus trips to the interior. Pinar del Rio in the north is supposed to be great although i never had time.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I went about 7 years ago and had a brilliant time. Wasnt too fussed by the whole Varadero experience, i cant remember the name of the hotel but i get the impression theyre all pretty similar, german-owned and so reasonably high standards of food etc.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to get out of the resort and see the real Cuba. Trinidad and Old Habana are unmissable, even if youre staying at an all-inclusive place there are usually plenty of bus trips to the interior. Pinar del Rio in the north is supposed to be great although i never had time.
    havana is a must, amazing city

@hibs.net private member
    Paradisus de Oro - fly to Holguin (opposite end to Havana) - excellent hotel - all inclusive - no kids though (don't know if thats good/bad for you)

1 buffet restaurant, 4 a la carte (5 if you want to pay extra - but not worth the charge), beach restaurant, and a pizza/burger lunch place as well.

Been there 5 times and due to go back next February.

You won't regret.

Wherever you go enjoy Cuba, the people are great.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Was there a few years back, and had the holiday of my life.

I travelled about, across the whole island, which may not be what you're looking for. I stayed in what are known as Casas, which are guest houses run by locals.
    Better food, more comfortable and an all round better cultural experience. They are not your fancy tourist hotels, but that has never been my thing.

Be ready for the hustling of your life... for cigars, hotels, taxis, sex... but unlike other places, a gentle and polite rebuff works wonders. Ignorance does not.

Fabulous place, fascinating people and culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Agree with both of these.

I was there in March, we stayed in Havana, Trinidad and Vinales.

Would be madness to go to Cuba and not even visit Havana (although some people do). If you do go to a Varadero resort, then a day trip to Havana is the absolute minimum, otherwise you may as well go to Spain.

I would say that Trinidad is currently not looking its best, there's some fairly extensive restoration going on, so a lot of scaffolding etc.

Passing through, I got the impression that there's not a great deal to see in Pinar del Rio. However, if you are going to Pinar province then Vinales is a must, the surrounding valley is utterly unforgettable.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Trinidad is gorgeous.

Can I add Santiago de Cuba as a must-see? It is the home of Salsa music, and the place just buzzes with it. Historically, it has a lot of significance in terms of the Bacardi family, and the Castro revolution. Guantanamo is also not far away, although the chances of seeing anything are pretty slim.