hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I let my girlfriends 5 year old watch the thing with me when she was out because she wouldn't go to her room.

She thought the dog we had at the time was part of the 'creature'.

The missus wasn't happy!
    One of my all time favourites that, John Carpenters, The Thing.

Watched it for the 1st time in 1st year at school, would have been late 1982 so must have just been released out on video at the time and one of the teachers had to go out of the class and be physically sick.

A prequel is out in the cinema later this year. There is also a remake of another of my favourite horror films, Fright Night, out later this year.

My 10 year old doesn't share my passion of horror films. The wife and I were watching the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street recently and she came through to get a glass of water, we said she could stay up and watch the film, but she said no, probably for the best, it was a rubbish remake anyway, better to watch the original.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm not sure a lot of these older films people mention would have the same impact on a youngster nowadays. In my day Freddie Krueger, Halloween, The excorcist etc... were all terrifying because people weren't exposed to a lot of similar stuff.
    Nowadays kids have some pretty scary tv shows, lots of video games and the world at their fingertips through their smartphones...all before they are into double figures.
    As adults we are still scared of these films because we can appreciate the ideas behind them or still have the memories of when they were scary to us but I don't think they'd cut the mustard with todays youth. I'm not sure a crab walk down a flight of stairs is as scary as it was a few decades ago.
    I'm not a big movie fan but I'd be more worried about letting a youngster watch a modern horror film than I would a classic. The new ones by design are surely there to disturb the mind more than ever as film making has to get more extreme to survive, attract attention and in turn, box-office dollars.
    Last edited by Pete; 07-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    My boy is going on and on about me letting him watch a proper horror film but he's only 11.

I was watching hammer house of horror and the horror double bill on friday nights when i was his age

I do not want t leave his disturbed and was thinking along the lines of Salems Lot !

Any other ideas of any good clean horror films ?
    Exorcist and Omen are a bit much i think !

I had the same prob with the wee man, I blame the video games I ended up getting three of his mates round for a sleepover and started them off with Sean of the Dead which they loved then put Nightmare on Elm Street on, they lasted 10 minutes, the real nightmare was me trying to cope with four lil gits tuned to the moon on sleepover food.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    What about the Shining
    The Shining is a great, great film. One of those ones that you can stumble across flicking through the channels and find yourself watching all the way through (Goodfellas seems to be equally guilty on that count).

A lot of it is adult though - not 'scary' adult, just themes that adults would pick up more readily. I found "Christine" scarier, growing up although now that seems laughable - I think 'Father Ted' did for that with Dougal's view of Herbie, "... a car with a mind of its own Ted!!!")

Keeping in a Stephen King vein, would 'Carrie' still be scary for 11-year olds? It looks dated now but the end shot is still a beauty.

Agree with peterdouglas - a lot of desensitisation has gone on. The best horror needs subtlety. I would be tempted to go with "The Thing"

(Not strictly related - my son loves the fly-on-the-wall police programmes - "Cops With Cameras"; "Traffic Cops" etc etc. Are they even scarier? )
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 08-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Well we watched Nightmare on Elm Street last night and it didn't scare him in the slightest.
    Infact he was more scared at the prospect of watching it than the film itself.

Poltergeist next i think
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Really? Watch it again yourself first SG. Gotta say I wouldnt even be considering letting my 11 year watch any of them. Spoof ones yeah (maybe)but not real ones.

I was going to suggest Tremors, or Lake Placid, or The Fog.

Something you can laugh about afterwards.

(Mind you, the old wumman's language in Lake Placid would probably count it out at that age....)