hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Jones

Jones was both good and bad. Had good streaks of form but always caught ball watching and charging about like a headless chicken. Caused panic for our goalies. If he was 5'7 he'd have been useless.

On positive side he was passionate, good in the air, scored some vital goals for us, and was more productive than destructive.

Think we have had better centre halves though... Fenwick and smith spring to mind immediately.

Think some people see rob jones like Ivan sproule. Caught up a bit in the emotional sentiment of a fans favourite who could be pi5h at times

Why you laughing at me?
    This doesn't need to be a problem.
    Last edited by Hakim Sar; 18-03-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Log in to remove the advert

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just seen that winner against the yams on the way to cis glory

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    f'n booo owl puns are tricky. Anyhow, i reckon he'll turn heads.
    The only thing that concerns me, is that given his role in John Collin's demise, he doesn't ruffle too many feathers in the dressing room.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Rubbish. Fenwick, Hughes, Hunter, and Gary Smith were ALL much better players than Jones. Actually, so was Ian Murray when HE played at CH.

He's a limited player with one real talent - good in the air.

(But at 6' 7" it would be scandalous if he wasn't.)

He's slow. He has limited positional sense. He played havoc with our goalkeepers (who weren't that good to start with, admittedly). He isn't a talker - so why on earth Mowbray made him captain I'll never know. He was technically very limited - remember Brewster tying him in knots in the ICT game we won 1-0 with a first-minute Fletcher penalty? All the grace and elegance of a ruptured duck, that day.

And that performance was repeated ad lib most times I saw him.

The idea that Jones was the dominating leader who won us the League Cup in 2007 is also rubbish. He had guys like Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Fletcher and Benji (really playing for once) around him - that game was won in midfield by Brown and Stevenson. He played his part, and i don't take that away from him. His goal was important, and impressive.

But the best CH at Hibs in thirty years?

Yer 'avin a larf.
    Rubbish

Fenwick - One good season with Sauzee playing beside him - as soon as Sauzee was finished Fenwick was a nightmare. Better than Jones - No chance.

Hughes - Centre half that was in a Hibs team that got relegated - need I say any more?

Hunter - A constant in the side that couldn't stop Robbo or beat Hearts for over FIVE years

Gary Smith a decent enough player but lets not forget he played in the defence that shipped 12 goals against Hearts in 3 games one season, getting sent off twice in the process. Again looked good beside Sauzee - who wouldnt? A better ball playing defender no doubt, but a better centre half - not for me.

Murray - cant comment as i missed the whole season he played at CH as i was away.

I think you are the one having the laugh with those suggestions old chap - but then as you say its all about opinions There is no denying Jones wasnt the greatest footballer in the world - but you paint a very bizaare picture of Jones clearly based on some kind of personal dislike for him.

I stand by my suggestion that he has very little competition for best centre half in 30 years, (I didn't actually say he was in case you need your spooctacles checked) and even if your suggested players were candidates, then there is STILL not much competition.
    Last edited by LaMotta; 19-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Jones looked at fault with both Southampton goals, the first he jumped with the strike for a header, striker won it easily, 2nd he was caught out of position.

That said it was his first game for a team that is in freefall

Depends how you want to build your team. I prefer centre-backs to be quick and mobile. Jones was neither - the best you can say is that he was a bit quicker over the ground than Colin Murdock. But then, so am I, and I'm 61 and 20% overweight.

"Not keen on him" doesn't quite do my feelings about him justice, I'm afraid. Didn't like him at all. Or Hogg, come to that. I think they both began to get found out when Whittaker and Murphy left - and Brown, and a few others as well.

However, it's all about opinions, right?
    It's just that your opinion is plainly wrong if you don't think Rob Jones was good at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Having seen him on the highlights last night, I don't think moving to Wednesday was a wise move.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    f'n booo owl puns are tricky

To wit:
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake
    i reckon he'll turn heads

@hibs.net private member
    He didn't make the grade at Scunthorpe. Not good enough.
    Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right!
    Why else would he have been forced to drop down a division?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Why else would he have been forced to drop down a division?
    Some folk have a very over inflated opinion re the quality of the English League and this assertion is symptomatic of that mind set IMO.

Having watched Rob Jones play for the Hibees for two years, he clearly IS good enough for Scunthorpe - and that opinion was confirmed last season by Jones' status as a regular in the Scunthorpe team which exceeded all expectations by surviving in the Championship.

I don't know exactly why Jones is moving on to the Owls (and don't really give two hoots ) but the assertion he "isn't good enough" just reeks of someone dying to have a pop for the sake of it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The only thing that concerns me, is that given his role in John Collin's demise, he doesn't ruffle too many feathers in the dressing room.
    Was his best form playing under Tawny Mowbray?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    It's just that your opinion is plainly wrong if you don't think Rob Jones was good at Hibs.
    That's simply a matter of opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Having seen him on the highlights last night, I don't think moving to Wednesday was a wise move.
    You wit wasn't wasted.

Coaching Staff
    He's on loan there. He's still Scunthorpe registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post
    Jones looked at fault with both Southampton goals, the first he jumped with the strike for a header, striker won it easily, 2nd he was caught out of position.

Suspect Rob's career peaked at Hibs and is now on the slide.

His aerial prowess was his main asset and yesterday he was easily out-jumped by a smaller player.

Looks like his physical fitness is diminishing with age.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gala Foxes View Post

Was it Jones he (Megson) was referring too when he made the remark about a player "not doing his job"? Not seen the highlights but heard his interview.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    Suspect Rob's career peaked at Hibs and is now on the slide.

His aerial prowess was his main asset and yesterday he was easily out-jumped by a smaller player.

Looks like his physical fitness is diminishing with age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    Was it Jones he (Megson) was referring too when he made the remark about a player "not doing his job"? Not seen the highlights but heard his interview.

He was mightily impressive in those highlights, right enough.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Rubbish

Fenwick - One good season with Sauzee playing beside him - as soon as Sauzee was finished Fenwick was a nightmare. Better than Jones - No chance.

Hughes - Centre half that was in a Hibs team that got relegated - need I say any more?

Hunter - A constant in the side that couldn't stop Robbo or beat Hearts for over FIVE years

Gary Smith a decent enough player but lets not forget he played in the defence that shipped 12 goals against Hearts in 3 games one season, getting sent off twice in the process. Again looked good beside Sauzee - who wouldnt? A better ball playing defender no doubt, but a better centre half - not for me.

Murray - cant comment as i missed the whole season he played at CH as i was away.

I think you are the one having the laugh with those suggestions old chap - but then as you say its all about opinions There is no denying Jones wasnt the greatest footballer in the world - but you paint a very bizaare picture of Jones clearly based on some kind of personal dislike for him.

I stand by my suggestion that he has very little competition for best centre half in 30 years, (I didn't actually say he was in case you need your spooctacles checked) and even if your suggested players were candidates, then there is STILL not much competition.

Fenwick was IIRC on appearance money, which meant he hardly played after Sauzee left. When he was playing regularly he was a solid, sound centre-back. His usual partner at CB was either Hughes or Smith, btw.

Just because Hughes played in a relegation side doesn't automatically make him a bad defender - he also played in the promotion side and in the first season after promotion. Remember the 6-2 game?

Smith was a much under-rated player who played on well into Blobby's time - a consummate professional who got on with the job he was asked to do and did it well. He was well into his 30's before he retired and slowing up. He still wasn't as unwieldy - or as naive - as Jones could be..

Gordon Hunter had his limitations (as do all players) but again - just because we failed to beat Hearts over that period doesn't make him a bad player - I wouldn't like to have had to watch Jones marking (or attempting to mark) Robbo. grodon was much, much better than you make out.

Murray's weakness was a lack of height - he and Caldwell were too easily beaten in the air. On the ground and in the tackle - and in positioning sense - however, I'd rate him well ahead of Jones. Jones was brought in, IIRC, to solve the problenm of cross balls. He did that, but his limitations caused other problems in turn.

I have nothing 'personal' against Jones - I simply did not rate him highly as a player. His limitations were very obvious; his abilities much less so.

Yes, my eyesight is very poor without glasses - one of the penalties of age. But with them, I can still see when a player isn't nearly as good as his fan-club would like to make out.
    Last edited by --------; 20-03-2011 at 04:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Fenwick was IIRC on appearance money, which meant he hardly played after Sauzee left. When he was playing regularly he was a solid, sound centre-back. His usual partner at CB was either Hughes or Smith, btw.

Just because Hughes played in a relegation side doesn't automatically make him a bad defender - he also played in the promotion side and in the first season after promotion. Remember the 6-2 game?

Smith was a much under-rated player who played on well into Blobby's time - a consummate professional who got on with the job he was asked to do and did it well. He was well into his 30's before he retired and slowing up. He still wasn't as unwieldy - or as naive - as Jones could be..

Gordon Hunter had his limitations (as do all players) but again - just because we failed to beat Hearts over that period doesn't make him a bad player - I wouldn't like to have had to watch Jones marking (or attempting to mark) Robbo. grodon was much, much better than you make out.

Murray's weakness was a lack of height - he and Caldwell were too easily beaten in the air. On the ground and in the tackle - and in positioning sense - however, I'd rate him well ahead of Jones. Jones was brought in, IIRC, to solve the problenm of cross balls. He did that, but his limitations caused other problems in turn.

I have nothing 'personal' against Jones - I simply did not rate him highly as a player. His limitations were very obvious; his abilities much less so.

Yes, my eyesight is very poor without glasses - one of the penalties of age. But with them, I can still see when a player isn't nearly as good as his fan-club would like to make out.
    Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.

Do I remember the 6-2 game? Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Not just your eyesight that is poor (with or without glasses) - your memory aint too great either.

It's a shame when someone takes such great pleasure in knocking a player like Jones - if it aint personal it must be down to a lack of understanding of the game, all in my opinion
    Last edited by LaMotta; 20-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.Do I remember the 6-2 game? Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Not just your eyesight that is poor (with or without glasses) - your memory aint too great either.

It's a shame when someone takes such great pleasure in knocking a player like Jones - if it aint personal it must be down to a lack of understanding of the game, all in my opinion
    I wisnae 100% on that so I checked back to find in a Herald report that Paul Fenwick was signed from Morton to replace the freed John Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I wisnae 100% on that so I checked back to find in a Herald report that Paul Fenwick was signed from Morton to replace the freed John Hughes.
    Fenwick was signed as our 4th central defender behind Sauzee, Smith and....Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?

Fenwick done well but couldn't maintain the standard in his 2nd year. One of the lads who took a pay cut to get an extra year's contract when the money dried up circa 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?
    rotherham i think. not massively important either way

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    rotherham i think. not massively important either way
    Maybe he came from Stockport? Rotherham certainly rings a bell!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Maybe he came from Stockport? Rotherham certainly rings a bell!

He did come from Stockport. Made his debut in a 2-1 win against Celtc at ER and had a goal WRONGLY ruled off for pushing.

Errrr, is Sauzee not the best centre half we've had in 30 years??

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs

One of the most under-rated Hibs players of the last decade IMO.

Gamer IDs

Fenwick's usual partner was John Hughes? Amazing feat given that they were never at Hibs at the same time.

Do I remember the 6-2 game? Its pretty obvious you don't because John Hughes wisnae playing in it - an Ayr United star at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Fenwick was signed as our 4th central defender behind Sauzee, Smith and....Martin McIntosh. It all went so fell that MM was sent to somewhere down south. Stockport?

Fenwick done well but couldn't maintain the standard in his 2nd year. One of the lads who took a pay cut to get an extra year's contract when the money dried up circa 2003.
    You're right - I'm wrong. Red-face smilie.

Abject apologies.
    Last edited by --------; 21-03-2011 at 12:00 PM.

A wise enough central defender, but his disciplinary record is such that I can see him being hauled up before the beaks. Pity he isn't Scottish, has all the attributes to become an indispensable companion to Potter.

Erza highlights

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot..._2/9430571.stm

Not at his best...in fact looked a bit of a twit
    Last edited by (((Fergus))); 21-03-2011 at 05:45 PM.