Left by mutual consent!
    As a fellow owl im unsure but we are shipping them in
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Signed for Sheff Wed on loan. As an Owl I'm delighted

Aw the best big man!

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footb...orpe_1_3190372

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by nribs View Post
    As a fellow owl im unsure but we are shipping them in
    You'll be told lots of good things about him on here, mate, but at 31 he'll be slowing up, and he was never the quickest at the best of times. If the guy from Wolves can stop him from dropping deeper and deeper until he's playing on the goalie's toes he may do OK in the short term. I wouldn't hold my breath. I've seen pints of milk turn faster than Jones.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    love to see him back at ER, thought he was the Scunny captain? has he fallen out with the manager?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    love to see him back at ER, thought he was the Scunny captain? has he fallen out with the manager?

He didn't make the grade at Scunthorpe. Not good enough.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Not true Doddie. He was their best player by a country mile the end of last season. Fell out of favour when Atkins left for Southampton after picking up an injury.

Sheff Utd tried to get him in January but they were knocked back.

Judging by your previous comment I take it you weren't very keen on him!! He did split opinion but I loved him and think, judging by Hoggy's performances after he left, was vastly under rated by many of our support.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Was he not their record signing?

Jones was capable of outstanding performances (against both sides of the OF in the split a couple of seasons ago for example), but he also had the odd error now and again, and he did struggle for pace at times.

I know he wanted to move back down south but would have been good to see him stay at Hibs, see out his career at the club.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    Not true Doddie. He was their best player by a country mile the end of last season. Fell out of favour when Atkins left for Southampton after picking up an injury.

Sheff Utd tried to get him in January but they were knocked back.

Judging by your previous comment I take it you weren't very keen on him!! He did split opinion but I loved him and think, judging by Hoggy's performances after he left, was vastly under rated by many of our support.
    Depends how you want to build your team. I prefer centre-backs to be quick and mobile. Jones was neither - the best you can say is that he was a bit quicker over the ground than Colin Murdock. But then, so am I, and I'm 61 and 20% overweight.

"Not keen on him" doesn't quite do my feelings about him justice, I'm afraid. Didn't like him at all. Or Hogg, come to that. I think they both began to get found out when Whittaker and Murphy left - and Brown, and a few others as well.

However, it's all about opinions, right?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Not good enough for Scunthorpe - Aye right!
    Why else would he have been forced to drop down a division?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

He was patchy...could have a ten game streak of outstanding performances and then have a shocking run of form. Seemed to criticise more than encourage his teammates. We've had a lot worse though...

@hibs.net private member
    Cup winning captain, he deserves better than some comments on here. He has been a big miss. I would take him back to play along side Hanlon.

Rob Jones

We dont want him back why do people always say such things... there are new talent out there younger and better big Rob did a job for us we paid him he left end off

The truth about Rob Jones lies somewhere in the middle of the opinions on this thread IMO.

He certainly wasn't an outstanding CH. Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed, wasn't a particularly gifted footballer, his attitude towards other player meant he wasn't a great captain either and he had absolutely zero pace.

On the other hand he was pretty dominant in the air, for the most part knew his limitations so didn't try anything too fancy, he was effective when we played a defensive line that allowed him to drop deep and compensate for his lack of pace and as has been said he was exactly the type you wanted when a team were pumping high balls into the box with 2 or 3 minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The truth about Rob Jones lies somewhere in the middle of the opinions on this thread IMO.

He certainly wasn't an outstanding CH. Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed, wasn't a particularly gifted footballer, his attitude towards other player meant he wasn't a great captain either and he had absolutely zero pace.

On the other hand he was pretty dominant in the air, for the most part knew his limitations so didn't try anything too fancy, he was effective when we played a defensive line that allowed him to drop deep and compensate for his lack of pace and as has been said he was exactly the type you wanted when a team were pumping high balls into the box with 2 or 3 minutes to go.
    IMHO, Jones' wandering also allowed him to cover for Hogg a lot. The only time that Hogg looked like a player was when he played alongside Jones.

The flip side was that I think Jones caused chaos with our goalies because the goalie was never sure whether Jones was going to go for the ball or not.

Still, the guy gave us good service, won a cup and kicked off the Killie win so deserves a little more respect than some on here give him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    IMHO, Jones' wandering also allowed him to cover for Hogg a lot. The only time that Hogg looked like a player was when he played alongside Jones.

The flip side was that I think Jones caused chaos with our goalies because the goalie was never sure whether Jones was going to go for the ball or not.

Still, the guy gave us good service, won a cup and kicked off the Killie win s

o deserves a little more respect than some on here give him.
    Good assessment.

Wandered about a lot chasing the ball which left those around him exposed
    • Some would say that latterly he was covering for the absent midfield - after it was dismembered

wasn't a particularly gifted footballer
    • compared with other stoppers?

his attitude towards other players meant he wasn't a great captain either
    • What evidence do you have to say this - just asking, never heard this said before?

and he had absolutely zero pace.
    • compared with other stoppers? Funny how he managed to cover the ground to do so many last gasp tackles!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    • You are a centre half and constantly have to play with shaky goalies! Might you not choose to cover for them too?

Rob Jones's value to Hibs wasn't realised until he left. He was plugging more holes than Ashley Cole
    Last edited by RIP; 18-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Coaching Staff

Yes - this is what he was most effective at, I would say. Keeping things simple. He had presence. But I wouldn't say that we've necessarily suffered from losing him and I think he moved on at the right time.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just seen that winner against the yams on the way to cis glory

Coaching Staff
    He's on loan there. He's still Scunthorpe registered.

As above.