hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: car tyres

car tyres

hi.
    Hope this is in the right forum.I have recently got a new car(well its a used car but hey) and well i think i ll need to replace 2 of the tyres for the next mot(in july)

I reckon i may as well replace the 4 and was looking for some advice.
    Can anyone recommend a good tyre brand?place to get them done?
    I've got a rover 25 1.4.Are the bigger brands.e.g bridgestone and continentalworth paying more for?
    I dont do mega miles or anything,I tend to drive around within a few miles of my house and use the motorway/bypass now and again.
    Any advice would be most welcomed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Wife has a Rover 25 to runabout in while on Maternity leave, I paid £35 each for 2 budget tyres off the chap at Blackburn.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    I don't care what type of car anyone has, the rubber is the only thing keeping you on the road and it's one part of a car I definitely wouldn't buy a "budget" part for.

You should also check pressures regularly to maximise safety and minimise wear plus check for any tracking issues e.g. from potholes that can cause uneven wear and minimise tyre life.

I'm sure there are folk on here that can get you a contact for decent priced top brand tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care what type of car anyone has, the rubber is the only thing keeping you on the road and it's one part of a car I definitely wouldn't buy a "budget" part for.

You should also check pressures regularly to maximise safety and minimise wear plus check for any tracking issues e.g. from potholes that can cause uneven wear and minimise tyre life.

I'm sure there are folk on here that can get you a contact for decent priced top brand tyres.

Ok thanx for your advice.My dad keeps going on to me about tyre pressure and i will check it asap.and thanx for your feedback joe t

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Good tyres are worth the cash mate I shopped around and found kwik fit online were best price you book and pay online then take the car in to get done it worked out a saving of around 100quid over just driving in ;-).I also recommend michelin tyres best out there in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops1875 View Post
    Good tyres are worth the cash mate I shopped around and found kwik fit online were best price you book and pay online then take the car in to get done it worked out a saving of around 100quid over just driving in ;-).I also recommend michelin tyres best out there in my opinion

Ok thanx for that mate.i ve been looking around online at a few websites.Im a lil worried about kwik fit though, them seem to have a bad reputatation,sure i read/saw it on tv(prehaps dreamt it?) that someone, a company prehaps? did an experiment regard car faults, they tested a car, amde i perfect then did a few things to it and took it to garages(different ones of course) and kwik fit somehow manage to mess the car up more saying this,this and that was also wrong with it.Anyhow thanx for the surggesting michelin .On a side not, did you feel the difference/feel safer knowing you had good good tyres?
    Thak you for the response

Left by mutual consent!
    My Mr2 had bridgestones on it at something like 150 a piece and I had a couple of punctures and put cheap 40 tyres on it and I'd have been better with skates.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Good tyres are worth it, the price would depend on the size of the wheel, my last car had 18" wheels and was needing to pay £200 per tyre (bridgestone) my current car is 17" wheels but i wont need to buy new ones for about a another year.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Good tyres are worth it, the price would depend on the size of the wheel, my last car had 18" wheels and was needing to pay £200 per tyre (bridgestone) my current car is 17" wheels but i wont need to buy new ones for about a another year.
    Imagine the price of these

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Get the most expensive tyres you can afford.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    My mum just got new Uniroyal tyres for her car from GP Auto in Dalkeith.

I can't remember how much they were but she said she got a good deal.

I don't know much about the brand, maybe someone else can give a bit more info.

Ok thank you all for your advice and experinces.Im not the most car knowlegdeable person about as you can imagen.So thank you all again

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    If you can be bothered with the hassle Scot Tyres will be the cheapest but don't fit them for you, you'll have to take them elsewhere to be fitted, the going rate for fitting is usually a fiver a corner so factor that into the cost of the tyres but I'd be surprised if they still weren't a lot cheaper than Kwik Fit etc.

They're listed as being in Broxburn but now located across from the entrance to the climbing center in Ratho in a huge grain store

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    Imagine the price of these
    Pimp my Dumpster

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    If you can be bothered with the hassle Scot Tyres will be the cheapest but don't fit them for you, you'll have to take them elsewhere to be fitted, the going rate for fitting is usually a fiver a corner so factor that into the cost of the tyres but I'd be surprised if they still weren't a lot cheaper than Kwik Fit etc.

They're listed as being in Broxburn but now located across from the entrance to the climbing center in Ratho in a huge grain store

Ok thanx for that andy bee and thank you to all whom has viewed there recommendations.