hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please Clarify Who Scored The Second In Dundee's 2-0 Win Over Hearts At Dens in 86

My friend says it was Albert Kidd, but I told him, 'no, Kidd got Dundee's first after coming on as a sub with around seven minutes left - everybody knows that.'

He replied, 'yes, that was the case, but I also recall him getting the second.'

Told him it wasn't really feasible that a journeyman subsitute could score a late double to scupper Hearts League flag win at the death of the season, and I thought the second must have gone to one of the in-form Dens Park strikers of the time, whose names escape me.

So who is right, my friend or I?

(And please, if possible, provide video assistance, as there's money riding on this one.)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My friend says it was Albert Kidd, but I told him, 'no, Kidd got Dundee's first after coming on as a sub with around seven minutes left - everybody knows that.'

He replied, 'yes, that was the case, but I also recall him getting the second.'

Told him it wasn't really feasible that a journeyman subsitute could score a late double to scupper Hearts League flag win at the death of the season, and I thought the second must have gone to one of the in-form Dens Park strikers of the time, whose names escape

(And please, if possible, provide video assistance, as there's money riding on this one.)
    Here you go,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    This can't be right. I recall the majority of the Hearts support sporting "Champions" t-shirts and flags towards the end of the 85/86 season.

Were they meaning the Scottish Cup? I think they got to the final that year.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    This can't be right. I recall the majority of the Hearts support sporting "Champions" t-shirts and flags towards the end of the 85/86 season.

They did indeed get to the scottish cup final a week after blowing an unsaleable league title on goal difference.

Think they met Aberdeen in the final?

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth

Yes, damn shame losing the league like that.

Surely a nice cup victory would cheer up the massed Hearts support though?

Quote Originally Posted by 1875godsgift View Post
    Yes, damn shame losing the league like that.

Surely a nice cup victory would cheer up the massed Hearts support though?
    Can only assume they won the final, given the special relationship they have with the competition...

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Can only assume they won the final, given the special relationship they have with the competition...
    Yes indeed, I would imagine the players would be hurting so much from losing the League title in such unfortunate circumstances that they would put in the best performances of their lifetime.
    The Cup must surely have returned to Gorgie that year amidst triumphant scenes, Hearts AND Hibs fans burying their grievances to welcome the Cup to it's rightful home?

Silver Jubilee this year Not that I think we should be rejoicing in the misfortune of our neighbours.

Aye right - GIRFUY Jumbos

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    They did indeed get to the scottish cup final a week after blowing an unsaleable league title on goal difference.

I think you may be right and they were on the end of a 3-0 shoeing.

Another chap named Kidd made the headlines that day by being sent off for the gorgie greys. Or have I dreamt that?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    I think you may be right and they were on the end of a 3-0 shoeing.
    Gosh, really?

That must have been a sore one. Throwing the league away with seven minutes to go, and then being on the end of a hammering in the Scottish Cup final just a week later.

That would have been hard to take. Perhaps a passing Jambo could fill us in on the details?

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    It's only a Mickey Mouse Cup anyway so who cares? (And League. Obviously.)

Dashing Bob S(nookered)?

Will we ever hear from him again??

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post

yes but did you know that after losing the league to killie in 66 [on goal average] hearts complained that goal average was not fair, so it was changed to goal difference but had it stayed goal average they would have won the league in 86
    ha fin ha

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Used to live up in Bryson Road at the time.

Went down to Ryries to join in the celebrations after the cup final but to no avail as no one turned up. The no show has has remained one of the biggest mysteries in my life but now I know why

Always remember a supporters bus message for the final in the Evening News a few days before the game. It read " the Albert Kidd bus leaving from Dundee Street" Superb.

Many thanks for clearing up that one. Was really starting to get under my skin. I hate mysteries and Im glad that this has finally, once and for all, been put to bed so that there's no further need to bring it up again.

Of course, my memory isn't what it once was, so I hope I'll be forgiven if I request somebody gives it a little jog every couple of weeks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by fife hfc View Post
    Always remember a supporters bus message for the final in the Evening News a few days before the game. It read " the Albert Kidd bus leaving from Dundee Street" Superb.
    IIRC it was actually "the Albert Kidd bus leaving from Dundee Street at 2.0"

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    my memory isn't what it once was
    What was it before it was your memory, likes?

Surely there must be some pictorial evidence of that day?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post

There was even a souvenir programme

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post

I believe that Walter Kidd had a special "HMFC - Double Winners 1985-86" tattoo done across his back, and that's why he's never been seen with his t-shirt off since then.

Always get a laugh at the mutant with the perfectly square head greeting his eyes out.

Great stuff.

Be assured of one thing.

It still REALLY HURTS the merricks who are old enough to remember this. Time has not been a healer for them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Jesus, you learn something new every day.

Anyone know what the other scores were that day?

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IIRC this wasn't the first time the Yams bottled it on the last day, I'm at a loss to provide any more information I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else could fill in? I'm sure I haven't imagined this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey® View Post

I think Celtc may have got a decent result against St Mirren but i'm not totally sure. I'm sure someone can clear that one up, i'm certain it had no real influence on the title race anyway.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    IIRC it was actually "the Albert Kidd bus leaving from Dundee Street at 2.0"
    Was it not from the Dundee Arms on Dundee Street at 2.0pm.

19860503Sat 03 May 1986 PClydebank[4]0Aberdeen6208119860503Sat 03 May 1986 PDundee2Heart Of Midlothian01956719860503Sat 03 May 1986 PHibernian1Dundee United2351319860503Sat 03 May 1986 PRangers2Motherwell02163619860503Sat 03 May 1986 PSt Mirren0Celtic51783319860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Airdrieonians1Hamilton Academical2135219860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Alloa Athletic2Forfar Athletic269019860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Falkirk2East Fife2656519860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Kilmarnock3Ayr United2236919860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Montrose0Dumbarton057519860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Morton3Clyde2120819860503Sat 03 May 1986 L1Partick Thistle1Brechin City1133219860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Berwick Rangers0Arbroath443919860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Cowdenbeath1East Stirlingshire114919860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Meadowbank Thistle1Stenhousemuir025019860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Raith Rovers5Albion Rovers251019860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2St Johnstone1Queen of the South179819860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Stirling Albion3Dunfermline Athletic2236319860503Sat 03 May 1986 L2Stranraer2Queens Park1480

Sorry, bit hard to read that

Celtic won the League and became champions in one of the closest finishes in League history. On the final day of the season Hearts were leading Celtic by two points - a draw against Dundee would have been sufficient to see them win their first League title since the 1959–60 season. Hearts lost 2–0 to Dundee at Dens Park thanks to two late goals by substitute Albert Kidd, while Celtic beat St. Mirren 5–0 at Love Street. As a result, Celtic won the league on goal difference.
    Relegation was suspended due to league reconstruction, therefore Motherwell and Clydebank retained their Premier Division status.
    Much of the season was only viewed in the flesh as a dispute between television companies and the Scottish Football League resulted in no televised Scottish league football between September 1985 and March 1986.[7]

Champions: Celtic, not Hearts as some people seemed to think at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    IIRC this wasn't the first time the Yams bottled it on the last day, I'm at a loss to provide any more information I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else could fill in? I'm sure I haven't imagined this.
    I found this FR - maybe this is the other catastrophic crash by the Gorgie Galacticos that you're referring to?

Last edited by Barney McGrew; 21-02-2011 at 05:56 PM.