hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My mate Freddie Fishcakes (retired SAS) used to run the CCS training camps in Princes St Gardens back in the day. He reckons some of these "Hibernian soldiers" would give the cream of British special forces a run for their money in most methods of combat and were also on a par with Danny Dyer, Ross Kemp and the likes when it came to basic street fighting.

By the way mere mortals, he knows what he's talking about and doesnt give praise lightly.

p.s He reckons this site is absolute mince.
    Was that Hibsbollah Training camps by any chance? Top man was Ayatollah Dougan.

Always thought The 12th Man initiative should have been known as Hibsbollah. No doubt it was deemed to be politically incorrect.

Colin
    Calderwood's
    Spunkers

***** as in the "full of life" meaning.

:cgwa

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Thugs are a stain on our club's name. Just glad it's ancient history & hope it stay that way.
    GG

In my travels over the years when mentioning the fact that I am a Hibs fan, invariably the reply would be "They had the best casuals eh?". I'd have rather they wanted to talk about the Hibs footballing flairmeisters!

I really quite disliked the casuals at the time but somehow now feel quite nostalgic thinking back to those days.

My mate Freddie Fishcakes (retired SAS) used to run the CCS training camps in Princes St Gardens back in the day. He reckons some of these "Hibernian soldiers" would give the cream of British special forces a run for their money in most methods of combat and were also on a par with Danny Dyer, Ross Kemp and the likes when it came to basic street fighting.

By the way mere mortals, he knows what he's talking about and doesnt give praise lightly.

Freddie was a legend. Twas reputedly he who trained top boy Tommy Ten Pies, who splattered fifty Rangers fans at Ibrox to get to front of the queue at the pie stand. Also cleared a entire street of Dundee Utility who had blocked his way to the Chinky takeaway in Hilltown. Blanche and Dykes would sabotage the catering trolley on the Scotrail so that Tommy would be utterly demented, in a rather beastly rage, and therfeore ready to attack anything when the train pulled up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    If they were season ticket holders (and the vast majority were / still are) then I would argue they have definitely to do with Hibs.

If Hibs season ticket holders have f'all to do with Hibs then who does?
    because they were/are thugs looking for a scrap. Whatever Hibs might describe themselves as, they will never describe themselves as a focal point for thugs to do what thugs do. The thugs have f'all to do with Hibs.

By your reasoning; some guy goes to a Hibs game, gets bladdered, drives home, knocks over some kid, and has his Hibs season ticket in his back pocket. What's that got to do with Hibs? That's right, f'all.

Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    because they were/are thugs looking for a scrap. Whatever Hibs might describe themselves as, they will never describe themselves as a focal point for thugs to do what thugs do. The thugs have f'all to do with Hibs.

By your reasoning; some guy goes to a Hibs game, gets bladdered, drives home, knocks over some kid, and has his Hibs season ticket in his back pocket. What's that got to do with Hibs? That's right, f'all.
    Different perceptions of what football meant back then I suppose.
    The backdrop was that football hooliganism was commonplace, not right but it was a different time. Football specials, scarves tied on wrists, men singing get your tits out for the lads any time they saw a female and pissing in the streets.

The alternative was looking great, getting to Glasgow, and standing up for yourselves and getting a result regardless of how the team did. I know which one I preferred.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Ah yes, happy days there were so many factions as well, my personal favourites were Brigadier General(retd.) Clive "Crusty" Cohen's band of marauding Hibernian Bounders, as they were known.

They were the elite of hooliganism of the time, membership being restricted to the over 70's.

Their motto "to boldly go - so long as it's not too nippy outside" struck fear into the hearts of hooligans the world over. Travelling Hibs fans everywhere felt secure knowing that if trouble struck a simple call on the batphone would see their saviours descend.

Their training sessions in the Figgate Park were watched by crowds of at least 4 and seeing the Brigadier General (Retd.) going downhill at full pelt in his wheelchair in pursuit of the rounders ball must have struck fear into the heart of even the hardest Glasgow Bear. Heady days indeed.

I remember old Crusty saying on his death bed that if the internet existed and sites like Hibs.net had been invented in his day, he also would have thought it was sh@te so it seems that like Freddie there is is a certain common bond that unites hooligans young and old.

Actually I had the misfortune to get caught up in a few tangles with a few "fans" with no obvious Hibs colours on and I thought then, as I do now that we were better of without romanticising them.

I am going to the pub.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

That is not 'reasoning'.That is a blethering over reaction that ignores the point made.

i'm thinking about writing a book about my experiences as a junior member of 'Eddie Turnbull's Soccer Hooligans'...we weren't as hard as the casuals and we got battered wherever we went...thats when anyone could catch us....i remember getting battered at tynie,partick,dundee,parkhead,ibrox and killie amongst others...our bus windows were frequently smashed while we cowered in fear(the 3 finals of 79 were particulary good days for autoglass repair companies)...i even remember the bus getting smashed in inverness after a pre season match in 78...we were rubbish at being hard so i welcomed the cashies and i could retire from being a hooligan...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    That is not 'reasoning'.That is a blethering over reaction that ignores the point made.
    The point made was thug has a season ticket at Hibs, therefore his thuggery is somehow a Hibs thing. That's blethering.

The point made was thug has a season ticket at Hibs, therefore his thuggery is somehow a Hibs thing. That's blethering.
    No.
    These 'thugs' were Hibbies, had season tickets (some still do)and ergo, had some affinity with Hibs.
    You made up a lot of ***** about a drunk driver.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    i'm thinking about writing a book about my experiences as a junior member of 'Eddie Turnbull's Soccer Hooligans'...we weren't as hard as the casuals and we got battered wherever we went...thats when anyone could catch us....i remember getting battered at tynie,partick,dundee,parkhead,ibrox and killie amongst others...our bus windows were frequently smashed while we cowered in fear(the 3 finals of 79 were particulary good days for autoglass repair companies)...i even remember the bus getting smashed in inverness after a pre season match in 78...we were rubbish at being hard so i welcomed the cashies and i could retire from being a hooligan...
    Ha ha, Brilliant I do remember after the first replay in 79 getting ambushed on the train and big lumps of concrete getting lobbed at us. There was some outstanding cowering and world class gesturing back at them after the train pulled away from under the bridge!

Left by mutual consent!
    No.
    These 'thugs' were Hibbies, had season tickets (some still do)and ergo, had some affinity with Hibs.
    You made up a lot of ***** about a drunk driver.
    F's sake, do the i's need dotted and the t's crossed? It was a load of made up **** to make the point that being a thug with a Hibs season ticket doesn't in any way mean your thuggery is anything other than thuggery. It's f'all to do with Hibs.

F's sake, do the i's need dotted and the t's crossed? It was a load of made up **** to make the point that being a thug with a Hibs season ticket doesn't in any way mean your thuggery is anything other than thuggery. It's f'all to do with Hibs.
    I realise you might be grasping at the intellectual high ground there, but there is really no need to cross t's or dot i's if you are making up ***** is there?

Left by mutual consent!
    I realise you might be grasping at the intellectual high ground there, but there is really no need to cross t's or dot i's if you are making up ***** is there?
    No, not really, esp. when written English is wasted on you.

No, not really, esp. when written English is wasted on you.
    Child you are so right. I should make up ***** like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryhibby View Post
    The casual element was as he put, likeminded people engaging in a likeminded venture, i for one am happy these guys were around, saved me a couple of times, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Aberdeen and Ibrox namely since the casuals came along they gave a certain security at games. I read both books and enjoyed them as well.
    Me too, I mind being in the Balgreen Fryer (or whatever it was caled back then) beside the wheatsheaf after the Aberdeen SC Semi at Tynie. I was only around 13/14 and there was about 10 Aberdeen fans started on me (just because I had a Hibs scarf on). 2 Hibs boys flattened the lot of them and for that I am gratefull. While I don't agree with the pre arranged stuff, they certainly looked after their own.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Right then hot shot.

If season holders have got f'all to do with Hibs, answer me this.

What is a Hibby and how do you become one?

Forget drunk drivers, dead easy to be destructive ,here is your chance to be constructive.

First Team Breakthrough itchy07's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: itchy07
    Walking to Hampden for the Skol League Cup semi against the Huns when about a hundred Rangers boys steamed out of the tower blocks, firing flares and throwing stones and bottles. The CCS ploughed into them clearing the way for me and my mates to walk the rest of the way in peace. Was certainly grateful to them that night. While I admit I've never had a fight at a football match it was an exciting buzz you got from being around that scene. Maybe a psycologist would explain it as moths to flame syndrome?

Shame you get old really.

The ccs had f'all to do with football but a lot to do with hibs!

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post

The "Eddie Turnbulls soccer hooligans" chant sung to the tune of your going to get your flaming heads kicked in is an absolute terrace classic.

Def time for a revival. 12th man , get it sorted.

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar
    As the OP on this, I probably got the views I thought. Lots of difference of opinion! I guess for me growing up a Hibby, as a youngster we regulalrly got into scraps with the away fans, but as I got older and wiser, you stayed clear of it. From the 2 books, I reckon you do get on the authors side and do romanticise the Casuals influence. But when you watch Goodfellas or the Godfather, for example, you probably do the same. Its all about opinions, but I'm glad they were on our side rather than against.

I was not around in the days when hooliganism was at large but after reading the books and seeing programmes on Hibs casuals, i also, without condoning violence, find it an interesting topic and also have a slight bit of admiration and pride in the fact ours were known to be one of the most feared.

My tin hat is also getting put on!

Football hooliganism has been around a lot longer than the beginning of the casuals.

The only difference I know of is that, prior to the CCS, Hibs fans just weren't very good at it

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Are you for real ? come on, a training camp in Princess street gardens
    Hahaha

First Team Breakthrough
    The whole scene just passed me by, the casuals that is, crazy memories of the 1970s, don't mention Hampden, playing Motherwell at Ibrox in some 17th replay of a Scottish Cup tie, Firhill and getting chased by the Maryhill Fleet which made a change from the Lochee Fleet in Dundee or was that the Dens Derry.
    St Johnstone, Ayr Utd, standing in the old Beach End at Aberdeen.

Casuals, bunch of posers.

First Team Breakthrough
    The Casual Scene was an extension of the gang culture in the 70's and 80's in Edinburgh. Edinburgh was full of tough territorial gangs that regularly scrapped in town or trashed pubs or scattered shoppers. Pubs in town were owned by districts and many visits were made into dangerous territory to claim local boozers as well. The Doocot, Telford Arms etc were stronghold pubs that unless you came from those areas were not very welcoming hostelries. It was only a matter of time before the top boys from each gang who had an allegiance to Hibs or Hearts took their brand of violence national. I look back on those days with some fondness as the camraderie and sense of belonging was very strong but we were silly wee laddies really.

I find the whole Casual scene and Danny Dyer type stuff pretty embarrassing, I love the Hibees and I just think these guys brought shame to our great club. Can't understand trying to glorify casuals they were about as cool as Shell Suits and Burberry baseball caps, it's all just a bit Chav in my opinion.

There is nothing more sad and pathetic than a fat guy in his late 30's or early 40's who still thinks he is living the casual dream.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaudiHibby View Post
    The Casual Scene was an extension of the gang culture in the 70's and 80's in Edinburgh. Edinburgh was full of tough territorial gangs that regularly scrapped in town or trashed pubs or scattered shoppers. Pubs in town were owned by districts and many visits were made into dangerous territory to claim local boozers as well. The Doocot, Telford Arms etc were stronghold pubs that unless you came from those areas were not very welcoming hostelries. It was only a matter of time before the top boys from each gang who had an allegiance to Hibs or Hearts took their brand of violence national. I look back on those days with some fondness as the camraderie and sense of belonging was very strong but we were silly wee laddies really.
    That's my read on it too. I grew up in the time of the YLT and Bar-Ox and as far as I could see the casual scene grew from there. Never had anything to do with casuals or footy violence but knew many who did. Recognise many of the matches in TCDR with mixed feelings. Some good times, some bad times and some mental times. Wish we still had the Enclosure at ER....