hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thought i'd share a little map with you fellow baseball nuts. It's about the geographic fan base of each MLB club. Always cynical about those things, we get into Jambo 400,000 nonsense, but it's apparently based on ST purchases and fan surveys over a five year period, and it sort of rings true.

For instance, the Cubs are the Illnois suburbanite frat boy club, with the White Sox firmly rooted in Chicago's South Side and the industrial rust-belt South Side diaspora.

The Pirates? Well, they've been kind to us by crediting us with any support at all.

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.c...22b12cf_b1.jpg

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Disastrous start to the pre-season for the Cardinals.

First the failure to secure the future of Albert Pujols, then the co-owner of the organisation passes away and a huge blow yesterday with the announcement that their ace pitcher Adam Wainwright will miss the next 18 months, after damaging his ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and will require Tommy John surgery to repair it.

Miguel Cabrera has arrived at camp in Lakeland and is to undergo rehab, as well as consulting with the Detroit medical staff, league commissioner and his family in an attempt to get back to his focus on baseball.

If we're to have any chance of winning the division this year (unlikely ahead of the White Sox and Twins, who are boosted by the return of Justin Morneau) we NEED to keep Cabrera playing on top form. He's one of the 2 players (the other being Justin Verlander) that we just can't operate without.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Just for MLB at Bat 2011

Looks like it's going to be worth the money again this season. Excellent app that's well worth investing in if you have an iphone or ipod. Showing about 150 spring training games, one MLB game a night and radio coverage of every game as well as highlights, news etc. All for less than ten quid!!

Gamer IDs

Good start to our Spring Training over the weekend, with 2 wins and no runs given up against the Blue Jays.

Currently hosting the Yankees in Lakeland and Verlander sounds comfortable again through the first.

Long may this continue!

Gamer IDs

A good, comprehensive victory over a full strength Yankees side for us last night, winning 6-2.

That gives us an early 3-0 standing at the top of the Spring Training AL standings and top of the Grapefruit League

Matters for very little, I know, but it's good to see us still able to win.

Gamer IDs

First televised Tigers game on the MLB.tv network tonight in an away trip to the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Phillies put out a very strong roster including starting off with Cliff Lee on the mound, facing a very young and inexperienced Tigers lineup.

The bats were hot, the pitching was solid and we ended up winning 6-2 with a much weaker side than the NL favourites.

This is fantastic to watch right now and I hope it transfers into the regular season!

4-0

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    get in the tigers!!

Always promising to see a big rival like Philadelphia lose but I'm not reading too much into these early games. It's nice to have baseball back though. We've lost our last two games to the Nationals, a few positives though especially with some of the relievers we've invited to play looking like decent pick ups especially Pedro Beato.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always promising to see a big rival like Philadelphia lose but I'm not reading too much into these early games. It's nice to have baseball back though. We've lost our last two games to the Nationals, a few positives though especially with some of the relievers we've invited to play looking like decent pick ups especially Pedro Beato.
    It was interesting to see a lack of comfort between Lee and his catcher today - I got the impression that he's still not settled quite just yet.

You're right in that these mean very little, but you start to get indications, particularly when teams line up in likely starting rotations/orders against one another.

I watched your game last night vs the Nationals and thought you looked OK. Again though, another year where I wouldn't expect you to do much (and unlike the NFL, I'm not willing you to fail )

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    It was interesting to see a lack of comfort between Lee and his catcher today - I got the impression that he's still not settled quite just yet.

You're right in that these mean very little, but you start to get indications, particularly when teams line up in likely starting rotations/orders against one another.

I watched your game last night vs the Nationals and thought you looked OK. Again though, another year where I wouldn't expect you to do much (and unlike the NFL, I'm not willing you to fail )
    Yeah, too many questions marks with the whole rotation and some offensive players returning to their previous best (Bay, Beltran, Reyes) Definitely asking for too much to fall into place to challenge Philadelphia and Atlanta (Good teams, something Gang Green don't face in the AFC East )

Looking at the AL Central, I think you have an outside chance of challenging the Twins. I like the look of your team more than Chicago. Always have liked the Royals though as I have Grienke (now gone) and Soria on my fantasy keeper team.

Gamer IDs

Yeah, too many questions marks with the whole rotation and some offensive players returning to their previous best (Bay, Beltran, Reyes) Definitely asking for too much to fall into place to challenge Philadelphia and Atlanta (Good teams, something Gang Green don't face in the AFC East )

Looking at the AL Central, I think you have an outside chance of challenging the Twins. I like the look of your team more than Chicago. Always have liked the Royals though as I have Grienke (now gone) and Soria on my fantasy keeper team.
    You might dislike us, but you'd be hard pushed to quantify us as not being a good team

I don't know who I fear in the AL Central - I expected the White Sox to walk the division, with the Twins challenging them and us taking our usual 3rd spot. Definitely don't see a threat from the Indians and the Royals are usually quick starters, but equally as quick to fall away - take Grienke out of their rotation though, and that's a lot of staying power out of their lineup.

It's anyone from 3 teams right now I'd say.

Gamer IDs

Ah well, after a flying start, we've lost 2 on the bounce now.

One against an Astros lineup, compiled mainly of Minor League callups and last night against a very experienced Braves lineup, in Disney.

Still, we're getting a lot of hits and not giving a large amount up!

Gamer IDs

Definitely beginning to feel like the start of a Tigers Spring Training year now.

Race to a 5-0 start against some big teams and then get blown out by teams I'd expect us to beat.

The only encouraging thing is that I know we're using a lot of Minor League players since our back to back wins vs the Yankees and Phillies.

That's us 3-3 after the first week - our pitching staff have performed decently and the runs have been spread around however our big hitters (except for the outstanding Pagan) have been fairly quiet. Couple of good match ups for us over the weekend - Atlanta and Boston - looking forward to them!

Brewers fan here.

These words may come back to haunt me, but I've got a really good feeling about this year. After a few years to be forgotten, I think we've definitely got a decent chance of making the playoffs at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Marabou Stork View Post
    Brewers fan here.

These words may come back to haunt me, but I've got a really good feeling about this year. After a few years to be forgotten, I think we've definitely got a decent chance of making the playoffs at the very least.
    Should be a cracking division between the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Reds and the Cubs. St Louis having a tough Spring training and have the Pujols issue to sort out, the Cubs are as luckless as Hibs so you could be in with a good shout!

Looking forward to seeing what Zach Grienke can do in the NL - I think it could be another CY Young winning season for him. I know he's had major issues with anxiety prolems in the past but hopefully Milwaukee will be a good fit for him, can't ever see him ever ending up at a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox because of it, so the Brewers could be ideal.

Gamer IDs

Should be a cracking division between the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Reds and the Cubs. St Louis having a tough Spring training and have the Pujols issue to sort out, the Cubs are as luckless as Hibs so you could be in with a good shout!

Looking forward to seeing what Zach Grienke can do in the NL - I think it could be another CY Young winning season for him. I know he's had major issues with anxiety prolems in the past but hopefully Milwaukee will be a good fit for him, can't ever see him ever ending up at a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox because of it, so the Brewers could be ideal.
    Pssst - Tigers 2-1 Mets

Pssst - Tigers 2-1 Mets
    Didn't see any of it but apparently we pitched well - thought our relief would be a big issue but they've done well so far this ST. Beltran has issues with his other knee now it seems and all he's been doing is DHing. Not good news!! Hopefully today will be Ollie's last day in a Mets uniform!

Gamer IDs

Didn't see any of it but apparently we pitched well - thought our relief would be a big issue but they've done well so far this ST. Beltran has issues with his other knee now it seems and all he's been doing is DHing. Not good news!! Hopefully today will be Ollie's last day in a Mets uniform!
    That was without a few of your key players it has to be said, particularly David Wright who was still sidelined.

I thought your pitching was pretty comfortable - gave up a few hits, but managed to get out of innings quite quickly in response.

I'm delighted with a lot of our young guns thus far.

Gamer IDs

You should be a happier Mets fan today then AH, as I notice Perez has been taken out of the competition for a starting place!

We lost 5-3 to the Phillies last night in what was actually a very productive game in the batters box for us, racking up 11 hits, but only bring 3 of them home.

We travel to face the Marlins tonight, with them having already beaten us once in Spring Training.

If anyone is so inclined and can find the game (It's on MLB.tv - I'd hoped it would be on ESPN America too, but the Big East QF's are on), then the Red Sox and the Rays are facing off in Tampa today - these are usually quite fiery games in what has become a really good rivalry in recent years.

Gamer IDs

A good weekend for us in Spring Training, as we jumped to the top of the Grapefruit League in Fl.

A narrow win against a good Blue Jays lineup yesterday (4-3) and a bit of a blowout against the Orioles today, 9-1.

We're managing to get so many hits from the plate just now and for the most part, our defense look unbelievably solid.

Our secondary squad lost to the Astros this afternoon, but even so, still managed 9 hits and only gave up 3 runs, which considering the number of minor league players, is encouraging.

Still a few questions to be answered in our rotation and also a few players we're still waiting news from (Carlos Guillen especially), but we're looking strong early doors

I see it looks like Johan Santana is going to be ready to go quicker than the reports last week suggested, intimating the Mets may be ready to send him out to a special clinic and then redirect him to the minors to get his arm back to full strength.

Conflicting reports on Santana - some saying he's on target and others saying that the Mets were shutting him down today and preparing for him missing the whole season.

The Tigers are doing well although have to admit I've not seen or followed them as closely as some of the NL teams - been impressed with what I've seen of the Braves so far too, Hudson was excellent yesterday and Jurjens pitched 5 impressive innings today even if it was only against Houston.

Gamer IDs

Been a good match-up this afternoon between the Tigers and the Red Sox with it being a proper pitching battle thus far between Justin Verlander and Matsuzaka.

Currently, the Red Sox lead 1-0, after a HR from Elsbury in the bottom of the 5th.

I got caught out last night actually as the clocks shot forward an hour in the US on Sunday, so the games are now an hour earlier, so I was quite surprised to tune in at 6.05pm for the first pitch, only to note we were in the middle of the 5th - Ended up beating the Nationals 4-2 after racking up 3 runs in the 6th.

Gamer IDs

As an aside, if anyone is interested, the first rivalry match-up between the Red Sox and Yankees (from yesterday) is currently showing on ESPN America.

Wasn't the best of games mind you (I watched it live).

As an aside, if anyone is interested, the first rivalry match-up between the Red Sox and Yankees (from yesterday) is currently showing on ESPN America.

Wasn't the best of games mind you (I watched it live).

Watched the highlights . Poor, poor game.

Cleveland?

Maybe next year......

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Cleveland?

Maybe next year......
    The heydays of the Indians have well and truly come and gone (which, as a Tigers fan, I ain't hating).

On the plus side for you, at least Grady Sizemore looks likely to return this weekend.

Great days for the Tribe in the 90s. What a line-up of bats they had.

I still have nightmares about WS Game 7 against Florida!

This is the Pirates year - the rest are just making up the numbers.

@hibs.net private member Dirkster23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This is the Pirates year - the rest are just making up the numbers.
    Unfortunately for the Pirates the rest are likely to be making up the numbers 1-29