hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underrated Scottish bands.

We're a wee country but I think we produce a lot of great music and bands that we really shouldn't given the size of the population.

Here's my list Scottish talent that I feel hasn't been given it's full recognition. It's because they're either not signed, not appreciated or not in fashion.

Feel free to add your bands.

GUN
    Every one of their songs rocks. They should be household names as far as I'm concerned.

Sergeant
    Their album was a pleasure to listen to. Each of their singles should have been number one in the British charts on musical merit alone. The're coming back under a different guise though and I can't wait.

The View
    This band are like marmite, but I love them and get what they are all about.
    Their original material was rightly hailed but their second album was unfairly slated in my opinion. There was some great stuff on it.
    Recently they've grown up,sobered up(slightly) and released some new material which sounds fantastic without losing that edge.

Aerials up
    This band are unsigned but it's a matter of time.
    Under their previous name "the ads" they were full of energy but maybe lacked direction and identity amongst so many other four-piece indie bands.
    However, as an eight piece with some killer revues under their belt and fantastic, catchy songs who's to say where they might end up.

Watch this space!

The Draymin
    I'd first heard of them through tea-towels draped over bridges.
    What a confident sound with brilliant vocals...and every song I've heard sounds like a single.

I think the Draymin are a rough diamond that if polished, could end up pretty damn famous. I think all they need is the jump-start that so many others have had.

2. Log in to remove the advert

These bands are all good in their own right mate but will never get bigger than what they are. The View are pretty big as they have had a number one album. Sargeant supported Oasis a few years back and I thought that might have kicked start their careers but it never. The thing is there is no money in the music industry at the moment for these type of Indie bands due to all X Factor and the pop pi55 thats going about. You listen to they mainstream radio stations and you will not hear a guitar. About 7 or 8 year ago the indie market was at its peak, there was hundreds of bands getting deals. The Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, The Automatic, The View, The Libertines, Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty things and the list goes on all had mainstream success but there is just no a market for it just now.

Thats why I hate X Factor and so on, its not just the music that is balls, its the stupid British public that get sucked in by it all and believe that thats all their is to listen to. No one can think for themselves. Rant over.

Ac/dc

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    There's a local band that i thought tmight have made it a bit bigger by now, admittedly not heard a lot of there stuff but a lot of my mates were raving about them then they released this song which i thought was class but not heard anything of them since....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOszPf4oaRs

@hibs.net private member
    Going back in time Josef K, or anyone recall The Scars?

@hibs.net private member

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    We Were Promised Jetpacks produced my favourite album of the past few years.

The Xcerts are a fantastic band with two great albums, it bamboozles me how the charts is so full of crap yet fantastic bands like them never really get anywhere despite great reviews everywhere.

Mitchell Museum too. Discovered them doing a session on Mark Radcliffe's show on 6music on my way to Dingwall last year! They've brought out a very good album with a really unique sound.
    Last edited by Calvin; 29-01-2011 at 02:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, my mates from school Paul and John Mackie were in the Scars. I liked Josef K better though.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    These bands are all good in their own right mate but will never get bigger than what they are. The View are pretty big as they have had a number one album. Sargeant supported Oasis a few years back and I thought that might have kicked start their careers but it never. The thing is there is no money in the music industry at the moment for these type of Indie bands due to all X Factor and the pop pi55 thats going about. You listen to they mainstream radio stations and you will not hear a guitar. About 7 or 8 year ago the indie market was at its peak, there was hundreds of bands getting deals. The Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, The Automatic, The View, The Libertines, Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty things and the list goes on all had mainstream success but there is just no a market for it just now.

Thats why I hate X Factor and so on, its not just the music that is balls, its the stupid British public that get sucked in by it all and believe that thats all their is to listen to. No one can think for themselves. Rant over.
    Radio 1 is embarassing for this. Used to listen to it at work and it would play some quality stuff but it's rammed with Tam Kite like Tinie Tempah and the like now. Not for me.

Absolute Radio for me when i'm at work
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    the definitive underrated Scottish band. Author Author has been re-released on CD and they just performed at the picture house in edinbirgh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZBkKzqu20
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-e...ouse-1.1077214

I think there's a new record in the pipeline, believe it or not, and a session on Radio 6(?) in February. Can't remember when.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hanny0762
    Broken Records

Idlewild

10 years since 100 Broken Windows was released

@hibs.net private member hibeenicol's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ll nicol ll
    I used to listen to a band called the gyres they were a quality band. Split up after their first album though unfortunatly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3m1PQ9vg_0

Mogwai.

Albums always sell well, tickets for gigs sell out in minutes and they have a huge fanbase but receive almost no 'mainstream' recognition.

As the band admit themselves the absence of lyrics in 90% of their music probably plays a major part in why they will never crossover to mainstream success. People like lyrics to focus on and sing along to, having none instantly leads to accusations of pretension.

I'd also throw in The Twilight Sad, Errors, Katerwaul and Iname as Scottish bands who would get far more recognition in a just world.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 29-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibees62
    At the moment 10:04s and The OK Social Club yesteryear The Skids should have been massive

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    going back a bit, but they are still going, The Threats from Edinburgh. Politicians and Ministers was an 8 track 12" from 1982 which was absolutely fantastic, so too are some of their later releases So much better than the exploited but the Threats never seemed to hit the heights that they did.

Another scottish band that i thought were hugely underrated were the Newtown Grunts. Two superb albums (The Day of the Jakey and Digruntled), some great singles including the excellent No Soap in Glasgow EP and some wild gigs all over Scotland, but more memorably from the Tap of Lauriston during the now defunct Edinburgh punk rock week.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Newtown+Grunts

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There's a local band that i thought tmight have made it a bit bigger by now, admittedly not heard a lot of there stuff but a lot of my mates were raving about them then they released this song which i thought was class but not heard anything of them since....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOszPf4oaRs

drummer is a huge hibby

Teenage Fan Club fan club and the Shamen . Chart stuff aside done some great stuff.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Mogwai.

Albums always sell well, tickets for gigs sell out in minutes and they have a huge fanbase but receive almost no 'mainstream' recognition.

As the band admit themselves the absence of lyrics in 90% of their music probably plays a major part in why they will never crossover to mainstream success. People like lyrics to focus on and sing along to, having none instantly leads to accusations of pretension.

I'd also throw in The Twilight Sad, Errors, Katerwaul and Iname as Scottish bands who would get far more recognition in a just world.
    Mogwai are amazing, they are pretty popular in the USA too.

Seeing them live is some experience!

A band i have seen a few times, Hagana. Really good.

http://www.facebook.com/Haganaband

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    drummer is a huge hibby
    Who are they? Can't tell looking at youtube on the phone? Quite liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    Who are they? Can't tell looking at youtube on the phone? Quite liked that.
    Alfonzo. Sadly they've gone into a hiatus at the mo and band is working round other ideas. Hope they make it back on track but dont know.

May rise from ashes in new form.

The Haggis Horns. Arguably the best Jazz/Funk band in Britain at the moment. Released 2 albums so far, both of which are top drawer. Very unlikely to ever make the mainstream due to their genre and numerous instrumental songs, but that's fine for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhz8vuhyCB4

The Ok social club - liquid rooms tonight!!!!

Great stuff

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    going back a bit, but they are still going, The Threats from Edinburgh. Politicians and Ministers was an 8 track 12" from 1982 which was absolutely fantastic, so too are some of their later releases So much better than the exploited but the Threats never seemed to hit the heights that they did.

Another scottish band that i thought were hugely underrated were the Newtown Grunts. Two superb albums (The Day of the Jakey and Digruntled), some great singles including the excellent No Soap in Glasgow EP and some wild gigs all over Scotland, but more memorably from the Tap of Lauriston during the now defunct Edinburgh punk rock week.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Newtown+Grunts
    I'm pals with the Threats. Hoping to see them play soon. They are doing some gigs in America soon. Great band.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Belle and Sebastian, though not sure everyone would class them as underrated. They are brill, though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Mogwai.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Mogwai are amazing, they are pretty popular in the USA too.

Seeing them live is some experience!
    Mogwai have just announced a Barrowlands gig Thursday 22nd December, will be the ultimate Christmas night out that! Tickets on sale now. Can`t wait to see them at picturehouse this month, Twilight Sad supporting. Tickets going for silly money on the exchange sites.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 06-02-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Mogwai have just announced a Barrowlands gig Thursday 22nd December, will be the ultimate Christmas night out that! Tickets on sale now. Can`t wait to see them at picturehouse this month, Twilight Sad supporting. Tickets going for silly money on the exchange sites.
    Was at the gig in Aberdeen last week, they were absolutely sensational.

6th time i've seen them live and they were much, much louder than normal. My ears were ringing the next day, definitely had the amps turned up to 11.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I quite like the Dogs Die In Hot Cars album 'Please Describe Yourself', I know a few folk who weren't so keen but when it was first out I was listening to it loads.

Lounger

I Love You 'Cause I Have To

Think I'll put it on when I get home tonight!
    Last edited by easty; 07-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    Broken Records are in Hamburg tonight and Berlin tomorrow with a few more European dates to come before heading off to North America for a tour over there from East Coast to West Coast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK9dayo_22s

Another Edinburgh band which was heading for big things but is currently "taking time out" is Chutes who played T in The Park and Rockness amongst other decent gigs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14oPCzuqIAo
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 07-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.