hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over what, 9 years?

That's 11 goals a season we need to replace.

I reckon we can do that.
    He didn't become a regular starter in the Hibs team until the 03/04 season so that's over five and a half years, not nine, as he spent two seasons at Celtic.

Trying to find someone who scores 18 goals every season would be a bit more difficult.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular steviehibsleith's Avatar

Kriss commons

Quote Originally Posted by greg_hibee View Post
    Fair point, but if we're getting say 200k-400k for Deek, I don't see many good quality players being available for that in January
    £300000 to Celtic.
    The players to bring in only need to be of a better quality than what we have, so how much do you think we need to spend.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    It's a watershed, the squad is terrible and he is a big part of it. I'm not that bothered if any of the squad go because regardless of however much pedigree they have, or had, they are not producing.

If he moves on best of luck(unless it's west ofc), he'll want a last big contract probably and staying at ER just now doesn't look to appealing I imagine. I'd heard he had been having a medical elsewhere at the tail end of last week, however he is still here so must have been nonsense. I did wonder about him being benched though.

We need to start from scratch and build a new team, and i would be very surprised if Deek is part of that.

He has produced some great stuff for us though

First Team Breakthrough mikethehibee69's Avatar
    If Riordan wants to go them let him and I know I will risk the wrath of the Deek fan club with this but I have watched him for a while now and from his body language he doesn't want to be here, when he is on we expect him to score and he just cant on his present run of form and he is the first to moan and throw a strop if others around him make a mistake, If DR wants to go and sit on a bench through in the West then let him, If he wants to stay here then Deek pull ur socks up and start trying for the team and start scoring and get us up the bloody table

First Team Regular ForeverHibs93's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xox TopLad xox
    Quote Originally Posted by steviehibsleith View Post
    £300000 to Celtic.
    The players to bring in only need to be of a better quality than what we have, so how much do you think we need to spend.
    In fairness I doubt we could match his wages at Celtic (I have no idea what they are so I could be wrong). I just feel that getting rid of one quality player for another is pointless, we should be getting rid of the duds to complement the better players in the squad.

P.s. I'm not a die hard Deeks fan, I'm the first to admit his work rate isn't great and he goes in a huff too easily, but at the end of the day he gets goals. The last 5 games we've scored in Deeks scored in 4 I believe.
    Last edited by ForeverHibs93; 27-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.

I will lose no sleep if he leaves, he is past his best by some distance, he cannot even score a penalty these days. He has been a passenger for months. In fact I would weed all the current team out minus Hanlon, Brown and Wotherspoon. Get boys in with a bit of dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    I will lose no sleep if he leaves, he is past his best by some distance, he cannot even score a penalty these days. He has been a passenger for months. In fact I would weed all the current team out minus Hanlon, Brown and Wotherspoon. Get boys in with a bit of dig.
    Totally agree with you ,i'd see the lot of them out the door.. Keep the younger boys that youve quoted and Booth and Byrne

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    If he leaves. We are going down.

don't know why the tramps would want him tbh

we will survive either way

ggtth

Quote Originally Posted by Mainboy View Post
    is he single handedly keeping us up like? Take the cash then get Rooney in.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    yeah he is going thru a bad spell but I think we are ****ed if we let him go

First Team Regular
    On his current form it will make no difference whether he goes or stays. He is demotivated,most likely due to Hibs delaying contract talks. I hope he stays at ER.

I can't believe the high % on here that don't care if Deek leaves.

As someone else said earlier, before xmas and looking at our team to move into 2011, I'd have happily binned the whole squad minus the obvious younger players....and Bamba, Deeks and Zouma.

Christ, and it's those 3 whom are leaving it seems.

Wonder why Rangers or Boro or Leicester or anyone else didn't fancy signing Rankin? Or McBride or Nish?

Riordan aint doing it right now coz 1st of all he has been benched, and second of all when he does play we are CREATING NOWT. FFS he is an outstanding finisher, the issue's we have are getting chances for the lad. Now no-one cares if he's leaving. I despair.

Jeezus Hibs we're doing everything we can to send ourselves down !!!!!

Is he playing well ? - no

Does he work hard enough ? Questionable

Would he score more goals in a better team ? Probably

Are his best days behind him ? Possibly

Can he create goals out of nothing ? Yes

Does he deserve a new contract ? Not sure -goals win games but I want all 11 players working hard in my team.

Would Rooney be a good replacement? Yes

Will the board go for Rooney or replace Riordan ? Probably not

Will he get a game at Rangers ? Probably not - Weiss struggles as he's a similar player - not consistent enough

I am very split with this as we SERIOUSLY need GOALS.

The guy is a natural finisher - just look at his record over the years.

But I can also see the negatives and would be curious to know his effects in the dressing room - is he well liked etc ?

Tough one to call - The key issue is will we replace him as we are short of goals at it is

Overall I think we should keep him unless we have someone who will score the goals Deeks did so often.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 27-01-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post
    Is he playing well ? - no

Does he work hard enough ? Questionable

Would he score more goals in a better team ? Probably

Are his best days behind him ? Possibly

Can he create goals out of nothing ? Yes

Does he deserve a new contract ? Not sure -goals win games but I want all 11 players working hard in my team.

Would Rooney be a good replacement? Yes

Will the board go for Rooney or replace Riordan ? Probably not

Will he get a game at Rangers ? Probably not - Weiss struggles as he's a similar player - not consistent enough

I am very split with this as we SERIOUSLY need GOALS.

The guy is a natural finisher - just look at his record over the years.

But I can also see the negatives and would be curious to know his effects in the dressing room - is he well liked etc ?

Tough one to call - The key issue is will we replace him as we are short of goals at it is
    In a relegation battle I would suggest the aspect of team spirit is a vital one, and Riordan does not give the impression of being a team player, what with his constant moaning if the ball is not played where he wants it - however, he is probably our finest asset, so I would generally be sorry to see him go.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    I can't believe the high % on here that don't care if Deek leaves.

As someone else said earlier, before xmas and looking at our team to move into 2011, I'd have happily binned the whole squad minus the obvious younger players....and Bamba, Deeks and Zouma.

Christ, and it's those 3 whom are leaving it seems.

Wonder why Rangers or Boro or Leicester or anyone else didn't fancy signing Rankin? Or McBride or Nish?

Riordan aint doing it right now coz 1st of all he has been benched, and second of all when he does play we are CREATING NOWT. FFS he is an outstanding finisher, the issue's we have are getting chances for the lad. Now no-one cares if he's leaving. I despair.

Jeezus Hibs we're doing everything we can to send ourselves down !!!!!
    I think it's because when he has played, two games a second division team for example, he has looked poor. A player, if he really is quality, will be able to stand out and lead the thing on themselves a bit.

If he was playing out hsi skin and being let down by others i'd agre.

Also, outstanding finisher? Not for me, great striker of the ball from 20 yards with both feet but that doesn't make a finisher. He doesn't score that many one on ones or tap ins or crosses. Finishers do.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    What if he leaves in the summer?

Does the club simply fold?

HFC have been here for a long time before Deek arrived and will survive for a long time when he leaves.

I don't want him to go but its hardly slitting the wrists time.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think it's because when he has played, two games a second division team for example, he has looked poor. A player, if he really is quality, will be able to stand out and lead the thing on themselves a bit.

If he was playing out hsi skin and being let down by others i'd agre.

Also, outstanding finisher? Not for me, great striker of the ball from 20 yards with both feet but that doesn't make a finisher. He doesn't score that many one on ones or tap ins or crosses. Finishers do.
    It doesn't matter if we were playing Ayr U7 girls team. If the team doesn't create anything. He did have 1 good effort in the replay which was a decent save. Can't recall keeper making saves from any one else.

Anyway, just coz the side is struggling, doesn't mean we need to empty our best striker. Sort out the rest of the side and then we'd see him get more goals.

Did he not score 2 one-on-ones at home to Motherwell?
    Tap-ins are from good team play and creativity - of which we have zilch.

If you can stick the baw in the net like he can from anywhere, that to me is outstanding finishing. Look at his goal at Celtic park FFS, we don't know what we have till we've lost it, sadly.

He is pressumed at Murray Park Having Medical i hear

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Id hate to lose deek....But for himself i reckon move to Huns would be great for him as he would score for fun and it would enhance his chances of international caps playing for them and playing european football a player of his talent needs top level he wasted himself at celtic .....We all want him to stay but Tightwad petrie wont give him that and petrie would take 75 pence rather than risk losing a pound....Please stay Deek but think we all know he is leaving ...
    I disagree I wouldnt break the bank to keep him, Hes not fone enough for me to change my mind this season and think its time we have a total revamp of our squad with him being one to go.

First Team Breakthrough
    See you in McDonalds then Deeks

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Rooney to Ibrox is a far more likely outcome imo. He's more in the style of Kenny Millar as Deeks will ever be.

Riordan's Agent is working overtime would be my thoughts.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    I disagree I wouldnt break the bank to keep him, Hes not fone enough for me to change my mind this season and think its time we have a total revamp of our squad with him being one to go.

I think Yogi was hinting at the same thing when he said that unpopular decisions would have to be made.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Rooney to Ibrox is a far more likely outcome imo. He's more in the style of Kenny Millar as Deeks will ever be.

Riordan's Agent is working overtime would be my thoughts.
    I still don't believe the ibrox hordes are ready for a catholic, Celtic supporting, Irish born hero IMO.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tenacious-Daz
    If this is to be the case, I hope that our board has serious contingency plans and if they don't, they would be as well as playing The Specials before kick off from Feb onwards!

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Maybe its just me..when Riordan went to Celtic i was absolutley gutted ..when we re-signed him i was delighted ..now however..this time round i dont feel the same ..i just dont have that emotion anymore..i expect him to go..preferably not West but to be honest i couldnt really care what he does..

Nowt personal against the lad by the way ..
    I find myself agreeing with you here. It must be these flu tablets i'm on

if he goes we are down? last time i checked we were heading down with him!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    I still don't believe the ibrox hordes are ready for a catholic, Celtic supporting, Irish born hero IMO.
    Mo Johnson, anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Daz View Post
    If this is to be the case, I hope that our board has serious contingency plans and if they don't, they would be as well as playing The Specials before kick off from Feb onwards!
    That's not very PC

Really dont think that Riordan has the work ethos that Smith and the fans have come to expect. IMO Miller was at first a goal maker and before he left a goal scorer, I do not see where Riordan would fit in. If he thinks that the unwashed hordes would put up with his petulance and moods when things dont go right for him then he better think again. I do not think that he is the type of player Smith wants or needs at Ibrox.