hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure Benny has at least one U21 cap to his name

Easily.

And signed by Eddie Turnbull , whose opinion still seems to count around here when it suits and selected by a number of managers afterwards.

Not near the worst and definitely amongst the most commited.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Benny was pretty awful but somehow it didn't matter. Football was fun, a laugh, a few beers and a pie supper.

Not the angst-ridden hate thing it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Best post I have read on here in ages. Benny was awful but it didn't seem to matter as much back then.

I can only imagine how some of the posters on here would react if we had him in our team now! Mostly this I expect.
    Like the sentiment guys, but I disagree.
    I remember people coming to blows in the Hibs Club after games during this golden age. Watching Hibs was purgatory.

Nothing much has changed other than the introduction of Sky TV, the internet and most of all fans forums where we can discuss ourselves into a righteous frenzy 24/7 rather than between 20 to 5 and the Pink News appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    Hibs: Rough, Sneddon, Schaedler, Brazil, Rae, McNamara, Weir, Kane, Jamieson, Rice, Durie Subs: R Rae, Harris & Hunter

Celtic: Bonnar, McGrain, Reid, McClair, McAdam, MacLeod, Provan, P McStay, Johnston, Burns, McInally. Subs: Grant, Colqhoun, W McStay, O'Leary.
    Looking at the names both look like reasonably teams, some decent players in our team, and a very strong Celtic line up, In reality this was very much a struggling Hibs team though.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Easily.

And signed by Eddie Turnbull , whose opinion still seems to count around here when it suits and selected by a number of managers afterwards.

Not near the worst and definitely amongst the most commited.
    It was just that you didn't have to cast your mind back too far to remember some really good players, and with hindsight Benny was one of a number of players who might have been in their shadow. That said I remember having a laugh at some of his showings but it genuinely wasn't with the same intensity as seems to exist today, and he does have a wee place in Hibs folklore which many won't have once they expire.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Best post I have read on here in ages. Benny was awful but it didn't seem to matter as much back then.

I can only imagine how some of the posters on here would react if we had him in our team now! Mostly this I expect.
    I remember a game at easter road in the mid 80s and benny got wacked on the shin and as he was rolling about on the ground holding his shin a guy in the east shouted "brazil get up your playing them on side " benny replied with a very loud . **** OFF

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    I remember people coming to blows in the Hibs Club after games during this golden age. Watching Hibs was purgatory.

Nothing much has changed other than the introduction of Sky TV, the internet and most of all fans forums where we can discuss ourselves into a righteous frenzy 24/7 rather than between 20 to 5 and the Pink News appearing.
    True. Was this no' the golden age when Gary Murray finished top scorer with 6 goals one season?

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    I'm sure Benny has at least one U21 cap to his name

Yes, but Ned was the manager of the U21s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    True. Was this no' the golden age when Gary Murray finished top scorer with 6 goals one season?
    Gary Murray scored 6 goals in a season?

I would say everything has changed. We've got too much football for a start! Every breath the players make is analysed 24/7 on the net, sky sports or the press. Most of the information is ill-informed opinion and stuff we don't need to know in the first place.

Gimme the Pink any day!

I recall Benny getting a head injury during a game and reappearing with a large bandage wrapped around his head. The crowd started singing "Rambo Rambo" and the name stuck with him for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    In a preview to the Berwick v Celtic game this weekend, Benny Jnr and his paw seem to be getting their stories mixed up in The Current Bun today. He's quoted as saying Benny scored 3 vs Celtic in 84/85 season, a winter friendly (which he did) but also quoted as saying it happened at Parkhead (which it didnt). Says his dad keeps brining the story up.

You'd think Benny would remember it happened at ER and not at Celtic!

Hibs won 6-3 IIRC on a very cold day. Hibs even had bit steel about them back then!!
    Game was definately at ER as we were the only team in the league to have undersoil heating at the time and weather was much the same as todays and all the league games were off. Also played friendly V Man U thereabouts as they wanted match practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    In a preview to the Berwick v Celtic game this weekend, Benny Jnr and his paw seem to be getting their stories mixed up in The Current Bun today. He's quoted as saying Benny scored 3 vs Celtic in 84/85 season, a winter friendly (which he did) but also quoted as saying it happened at Parkhead (which it didnt). Says his dad keeps brining the story up.

You'd think Benny would remember it happened at ER and not at Celtic!

Hibs won 6-3 IIRC on a very cold day. Hibs even had bit steel about them back then!!
    I have been asked by Alan to post the following answer to the above and to the others who have posted negative remarks

For those so called hibs FANS. Maybe you should go back and read the article again and you will see neither my dad nor myself say that the hat trick he scored was at Parkhead or Easter Road. That was the journalist who said that..... You call yourself supporters ? well start supporting the team and stop going on like you yourself are the best players in world, you probably never even played the game before, yet you slag off players left right and centre.
    Ps if you had more players with the same attidude as my dad did, then you wouldnt be in the situation you are in now!!!

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbiedon View Post
    I have been asked by Alan to post the following answer to the above and to the others who have posted negative remarks

For those so called hibs FANS. Maybe you should go back and read the article again and you will see neither my dad nor myself say that the hat trick he scored was at Parkhead or Easter Road. That was the journalist who said that..... You call yourself supporters ? well start supporting the team and stop going on like you yourself are the best players in world, you probably never even played the game before, yet you slag off players left right and centre.
    Ps if you had more players with the same attidude as my dad did, then you wouldnt be in the situation you are in now!!!
    Its apparent from this and other threads that many remember him in a more positive light, and certainly agree on the attitude point, I was one, having seen many games in that era