hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember being mildly surprised when I first heard that Cathy Dennis wrote "Can't Get You Out of My Head" for Kylie.

A quick search reveals Dennis has writing or co-writing credits for a string of hits including "I Kissed A Girl" by Katie Perry; "Toxic" by Britney Spears; "About You Now" by Sugababes and most of S Club 7's back catalogue.

She's certainly stepped out of her brother Shaun's shadow now

Classic X Factor ballad and big hit for Celine Dion, "All By Myself" was originally written and performed by some bloke called Eric Carmen but a big chunk of the melody is directly lifted from Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, which was written around the turn of the twentieth century.
    Of course, with a father like Jackie, none of the Dennis clan was ever going to be short of inspiration.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I suppose the one that takes a lot of people by surprise is that Neil Diamond wrote Red Red Wine, which was eventually slaughtered by UB40.
    Is there any more depressing song in the world? Imagine yourself after the derby, hungover in Robertson's, surrounded by celebrating Yams when this comes on the jukebox.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    You'll Never Walk Alone wasn't written by Gerry Marsden or some wee nyaff from the East End of Glasgow.
    Rodgers and Hammerstein.

"Though your dreams be tossed and blown" always struck me as a particuarly interesting line.

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Filled Rolls;2673835]I suppose the one that takes a lot of people by surprise is that Neil Diamond wrote Red Red Wine, which was eventually slaughtered by UB40.[/QUOTE]

Dont agree atall and kinda surprised you thought that given your fondness for Ska,anyway each to their own,but check out Tony Tribe version think it may be more to your liking.

Blinded by the Light, Manfred Manns Earth Band
    Because the Night, Patty Smith
    Fire, Pointer Sisters

All writtten by Springsteen

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Angels by Robie Williams was written by an Irishman called Ray Heffernan.

The story goes that they met in a pub in Dublin had a few beers and went back to the guys flat. He let William hear a few songs he had been working on, Williams liked one called 'An Angel instead' phoned Louis Walsh who organised studio time to make a recording. When Hefferman heard it on an album he got in touch and signed a waver of any rights to the song for £7500.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPJZz86Wdgk

Greensleeves was written by Henry 8th.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Bit off topic but I learned the other day that Charles Manson, the infamous nutjob recorded a album before brainwashing folk into killing.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    Bit off topic but I learned the other day that Charles Manson, the infamous nutjob recorded a album before brainwashing folk into killing.
    He was well known for his music ambitions and connections. He was friendly with one of the Beach Boys (Carl Wilson, I think) and Terry Melcher, the son of Doris Day.

[QUOTE=discman;2676786]
    I suppose the one that takes a lot of people by surprise is that Neil Diamond wrote Red Red Wine, which was eventually slaughtered by UB40.[/QUOTE]

Dont agree atall and kinda surprised you thought that given your fondness for Ska,anyway each to their own,but check out Tony Tribe version think it may be more to your liking.

Fire, Pointer Sisters

Wasn' this a co-write?

Quote Originally Posted by cowiehibs View Post
    Greensleeves was written by Henry 8th.
    Just a myth - it's Elizabethan in origin.

Remember being mildly surprised when I first heard that Cathy Dennis wrote "Can't Get You Out of My Head" for Kylie.

A quick search reveals Dennis has writing or co-writing credits for a string of hits including "I Kissed A Girl" by Katie Perry; "Toxic" by Britney Spears; "About You Now" by Sugababes and most of S Club 7's back catalogue.

She's certainly stepped out of her brother Shaun's shadow now

Classic X Factor ballad and big hit for Celine Dion, "All By Myself" was originally written and performed by some bloke called Eric Carmen but a big chunk of the melody is directly lifted from Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto, which was written around the turn of the twentieth century.
    Not so Mr Aye. It was actually The Warsaw Concerto, written in the style of Rachmaninov by Richard Addison (I think) for the film Dangerous Moonlight.

Along the same lines:

A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harem is based on a Bach's orchestral suite
    Altogether Now by the Farm uses Pachelbel's Canon as its main melody
    Joybringer by Manfred Mann's Earth Band is based on Jupiter from Holst's Planet Suite

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=discman;2676786]
    I suppose the one that takes a lot of people by surprise is that Neil Diamond wrote Red Red Wine, which was eventually slaughtered by UB40.[/QUOTE]

Fire, Pointer Sisters

I'm comparing UB40 to Tony Tribe, great song, but UB40 get on my nipples.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    That song by Toploader "Dancing in the moonlight" got me mad......... I even phoned the Forth 1/2 thingy on a Saturday to say that it was by someone else

They couldnae find it then but it's now attributed to King Harvest

Not the name I remember though

I thought I was going mad at the time though or had "special" powers

Quote Originally Posted by NaeTechnoHibby View Post
    That song by Toploader "Dancing in the moonlight" got me mad......... I even phoned the Forth 1/2 thingy on a Saturday to say that it was by someone else

They couldnae find it then but it's now attributed to King Harvest

Not the name I remember though

I thought I was going mad at the time though or had "special" powers
    Not Billy Joel?

'pparently not.
    Last edited by Prof. Shaggy; 04-01-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: because I'm wrong.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by A Regulator View Post
    The Letterman guy?
    The very same.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mglancy23 Wii Code: 5354 5735 9094 1582
    Johnny Cash Hurt is a cover of a Nine inch nails song.

great video if you have not seen it before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clq01TXQR0s

Blog Entries
    George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was originally written for the Chiffons, and was called "He's So Fine". George certainly didn't know this and claimed the writing credit for himself.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The intro to Strawberry Switchblades "Thoughts of yesterday"
    Is shamelessly taken from Wagners "Lohengrin" ( not the boy from x factor but the one hitler was partial to)

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Not so Mr Aye. It was actually The Warsaw Concerto, written in the style of Rachmaninov by Richard Addison (I think) for the film Dangerous Moonlight.

Along the same lines:

A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harem is based on a Bach's orchestral suite
    Altogether Now by the Farm uses Pachelbel's Canon as its main melody
    Joybringer by Manfred Mann's Earth Band is based on Jupiter from Holst's Planet Suite
    Surely not CG?

The Addinsell piece is in a broadly similar style (overblown Romantic melodic ) but the "All By Myself" melody is note-for-note Rachmaninov?

I wasn't familiar with "Joybringer" previous to your post but having heard it now, what a riff . I blame John Williams and "Classical Gas" myself
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Surely not CG?

The Addinsell piece is in a broadly similar style (overblown Romantic melodic ) but the "All By Myself" melody is note-for-note Rachmaninov?

I wasn't familiar with "Joybringer" previous to your post but having heard it now, what a riff . I blame John Williams and "Classical Gas" myself
    Aye it was. Listen to the Warsaw Concerto and you can hear the melody straight away - Rachmaninov's piano concerto has bits that sound a bit like it but are not the exact tune.

Incidentally, I believe the producers of 'Dangerous Moonlight' actually tried to commission big Sergei himself to write the music, but ended up with the other bloke (Addinsell? I knew it was something like that) and specified that it should be in the style of Rachmaninov, so it really is something of a pastiche.

Edit: Here it is - the "All By Myself" tune starts at about 1.50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLWQ...eature=related
    Last edited by Caversham Green; 06-01-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Just to prove a point.

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    The Champions League Anthem is an adaptation of Handel's 'Zadok the Priest'

must be the same eric carmen that sang 'hungry eyes' from dirty dancing

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    'He's Gonna Step On You Again' by John Kongos. Until a couple of years ago, I assumed that it was a Happy Mondays original. Having said that, the Mondays' version is way better.

Not the same thing but most folk think that 'Killer' is a Seal song and Adamski, who was the main man behind it, gets forgotten.
    Yeah but Seal wrote the lyrics which was why it was remixed and released again as Seal. One of my fav tunes, infact, Seal is one of my fav artists.

Blog Entries
    Of course everyone knows that Bitter Sweet Symphony,by the Verve, includes a sample of a Stones song. They also probably know that The Verve had to give all their rights to the song to the Stones as a result of a court case.

But who knows that the song was not recorded by The Stones, but by The Andrew Oldham Orchestra?

This and loads of other samples and originals here: http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vie...20Last%20Time/

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    There a lot of people posting on this thread who urgently need to get out more....

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Aye it was. Listen to the Warsaw Concerto and you can hear the melody straight away - Rachmaninov's piano concerto has bits that sound a bit like it but are not the exact tune.

Incidentally, I believe the producers of 'Dangerous Moonlight' actually tried to commission big Sergei himself to write the music, but ended up with the other bloke (Addinsell? I knew it was something like that) and specified that it should be in the style of Rachmaninov, so it really is something of a pastiche.

Edit: Here it is - the "All By Myself" tune starts at about 1.50. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLWQ...eature=related
    Had forgotten about this thread and finally got back to it.

See what you mean about the melody at 1:50 CG - different rhythm but the same melodic progression of 'All By Myself's chorus. Thanks for that - it's good to learn something new

The bit I think where Rachmaninov's piece is directly lifted is in the piano leading into the chorus of the pop song. Straight steal, no doubt, though it's only a couple of bars.

Critical point was stated earlier - overblown Romantic period stuff. Time to dig out the frilly lace shirts
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

'The First Cut Is The Deepest' was written by Yusuf Islam, (formerly known as Cat Stevens.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Wasn' this a co-write?
    'Twas indeed.