hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Buying a used car for dummies

Aaaaahhhhh - too much choice. Parker online, supermarkets.....

So I thought I'd limit it down to a make/model.

Looking to buy a 2nd hand family car (possibly a Passat) probably need to fork out about £8k

But how can I make life simple for myself? Insurance groups, tax bands, Co2 tax to take into consideration.

I've just been choiced out into delaying the decision.

Any advice to break the log-jam?

What about the online supermarkets (I guess you can select but not check out before purchase). I'd rather not go private as I dont want to buy a lemon and have no come-back or worse find its not fully paid up or stolen/welded from 2 halfs together.... I feel like a sitting duck for the salesmen (and no I dont want to buy your car either )

Cheers Loko.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    My sister and someone else I know having had a bad experience, I wouldn't go to Arnold Clark.

Choose the model you want to drive and own. Petrol, tax, insurance (assuming normal stuff) will probably be less per month than you think and if you're shelling out £8k a tenner a month is neither here nor there for the car you want rather than one you'll put up with for the next 2 or 3 years.
    Doing that I ended up with a 7 series BMW. The most fantastic car I've ever owned!