hibs.net Messageboard

It was thirty years ago today.....RIP John Lennon

Is it really thirty years. Thanks John. Sleep well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU

2. Log in to remove the advert

Had the White Album on at work today full blast. Prompting one of the 'music experts' and resident X-Factor fans in my office to ask me 'What is this crap?' Safe to say his musical expertise are a tad limited.

RIP John.

Left by mutual consent!
    Legend

RIP

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As fans mark his 30th death anniversary on Wednesday, John Lennon has become exactly what he did not want to be: “a dead hero”.
    http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Le...ad-hero/722327
    I'm sure Lennon would view his canonisation with his legendary cynicism and sardonic wit.

Indeed, he hated folk looking back and quipped something along those lines as he entered middle-age...

He also wrote How Do You Sleep so, like most of us, was fallable and human; he regretted some of the song later but, as he also said, what's done is done.

Man was a genius though. No matter what anyone says. Often to be found on political lost causes, he at least didn't give a ****. The difference between the "pop star" of today and John Lennon - he said what we wanted to say, done what he wanted to do and did not give a ****. Probably why he only sold tens of millions of units of his solo albums...but, I'd respect that 10,000 times more than the commercially sponsored puppets of today's world.

****wits, one and all. Offer little musically, no creation (they have the ordasity to cover the mans' songs too and his co-efforts with Macca) and canny see the irony.

His last ever gig he quipped and altered Imagine "and no immigration too"...ironically he got the green card, then got wasted by a lunatic (or not). Who knows. Either way, the biggest unintentional waste of a genius in recent livnig memory.

RIP John Lennon.

Blog Entries
    At the risk of going against the popular grain here, and while I would have wished him no ill, I've always thought this deification of John Lennon as being ludicrous.

He wrote some good music, but was from what I can see a bit of an arrogant self-centred self righteous tw@t.

I've never understood why I should be required to have any interest in or respect for a musicians political views purely on the basis of the fact they can hold a note or compose a melody. It's every bit as valid as anyones else, but no more so. There are a few exceptions like Billy Bragg where the music is the means of political activism, but I dont think Lennon falls into this category.

...he said what we wanted to say, done what he wanted to do and did not give a ****...
    Why does that make him an icon? He had the wherewithal to behave like that latterly, and it instantly becomes a virtue. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Philip Pulmans book "John lennon; A life"
    Highly recommended.
    Not just a very accurate and detailed account of an interesting life but also a serious study of the social history of the fifties sixties and seventies.

"Life is whats happening to you while youre busy making other plans"

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the risk of going against the popular grain here, and while I would have wished him no ill, I've always thought this deification of John Lennon as being ludicrous.

He wrote some good music, but was from what I can see a bit of an arrogant self-centred self righteous tw@t.

I've never understood why I should be required to have any interest in or respect for a musicians political views purely on the basis of the fact they can hold a note or compose a melody. It's every bit as valid as anyones else, but no more so. There are a few exceptions like Billy Bragg where the music is the means of political activism, but I dont think Lennon falls into this category.

Why does that make him an icon? He had the wherewithal to behave like that latterly, and it instantly becomes a virtue. Sorry, I just don't get it.

You are correct, you don't need to fall in line with his thinking because he was a musicain - absolutely the point he was making.

Equally, HE had no need to fall in line with the establishment or take the easy way out, just because he was expected to "behave". He didn't give a ****. That much proven when he talked about the Beatles meaning more to youth than Jesus...what he was essentially saying was probably/possibly true - the kids of the 60's were more interested in watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, seeing them playing and hearing their next song than they were in going along to Sunday School or mass every week (allegedly )

Point is, Lennon said, what he thought, REGARDLESS. This IMHO, is a good trait. It means less bull**** and whether or not I agree with blunt people, I at least respect them for having the balls to say what they actually think as opposed to towing the party line to stay in favour with the many.

It would have made him (an even) richer man to tow the party line, shut his mouth and keep his thoughts to himself. He didn't, and went the very opposite way.

He BELIEVED what he was doing, was some good. Whether or not that's true or not is beside the point. He done it because he believed it was the right thing to do and didn't care if that hit his record sales, popularity or anything else.

Not a reason to like or dislike the man as you say - merely my interpreation as to why so many respect the man, whether or not they liked his music or agreed with his principles...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are correct, you don't need to fall in line with his thinking because he was a musicain - absolutely the point he was making.

Equally, HE had no need to fall in line with the establishment or take the easy way out, just because he was expected to "behave". He didn't give a ****. That much proven when he talked about the Beatles meaning more to youth than Jesus...what he was essentially saying was probably/possibly true - the kids of the 60's were more interested in watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, seeing them playing and hearing their next song than they were in going along to Sunday School or mass every week (allegedly )

Point is, Lennon said, what he thought, REGARDLESS. This IMHO, is a good trait. It means less bull**** and whether or not I agree with blunt people, I at least respect them for having the balls to say what they actually think as opposed to towing the party line to stay in favour with the many.

It would have made him (an even) richer man to tow the party line, shut his mouth and keep his thoughts to himself. He didn't, and went the very opposite way.

He BELIEVED what he was doing, was some good. Whether or not that's true or not is beside the point. He done it because he believed it was the right thing to do and didn't care if that hit his record sales, popularity or anything else.
    Not a reason to like or dislike the man as you say - merely my interpreation as to why so many respect the man, whether or not they liked his music or agreed with his principles...
    Fair enough, part of his appeal both as an individual (and therefore to many as a musician ) was his on-the-edge, couldnt give a toss attitude.

The "establishment", whatever that may be, would hardly be his target market anyway, so being a bit rock and roll is hardly a negative attribute. Nowadays we'd call it image, wouldn't we?