hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I think there is a huge difference between tackling a 'taboo' subject as a comedian and merely saying offensive things in the hope that the shock value will gain a laugh.

I've never found Frankie Boyle particularly amusing. Not because i'm offended by what he does but because there is nothing particularly clever about his comedy. From what i have seen of his act- one live show, Mock the Week and the 1st episode of his new series- he has a very set routine,a couple of stupid voices he does when impersonating others and a few 'shocking' jokes thrown in to gain a cheap laugh or 2. As i say this isn't that i find him offensive just dull.

I would compare this to what someone like Chris Morris does. He also tackles pretty taboo subjects. However he is infinitely more clever about his comedy than someone like Boyle. He tends to focus on the 'moral outrage' that surrounds certain subjects and exploit that for comedic purposes as opposed to openly laughing at the 'victims' themselves. Hence why something like the Brass Eye paedophile special was exceptionally funny or more recently when he humanised suicide bombers in Four Lions and turned them from west hating fanatics into bumbling idiots from Yorkshire. This, IMO, takes far more skill and indeed far more courage than simply to get up on stage and take the piss out of someone because they are disabled, blind, deaf or whatever.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Firstly, I take it it's ok for FB to crack gags about Josef Fritzl now as nobody on here has criticised those (yet).
    Secondly, how many people who are complaining actually saw the programme in question? (Not necessarily on here, but in general) Taking the rights and wrongs aside for a moment, this smacks of the Jonathon Ross/Russell Brand/Sachsgate incident where the vast majority of complainants were reacting to the media coverage POST broadcast. Because if, as many people are claiming, FB's show is unmitigated rubbish and he is not funny, why are there so many quoting chapter & verse from his show?

Back on topic, Jason Cook and Greg Davies are must see comedians.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, I take it it's ok for FB to crack gags about Josef Fritzl now as nobody on here has criticised those (yet).
    Secondly, how many people who are complaining actually saw the programme in question? (Not necessarily on here, but in general) Taking the rights and wrongs aside for a moment, this smacks of the Jonathon Ross/Russell Brand/Sachsgate incident where the vast majority of complainants were reacting to the media coverage POST broadcast. Because if, as many people are claiming, FB's show is unmitigated rubbish and he is not funny, why are there so many quoting chapter & verse from his show?

Back on topic, Jason Cook and Greg Davies are must see comedians.
    I saw it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Not a stand up but I really like Tim Minchin.

Caution - contains the odd sweary word

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a stand up but I really like Tim Minchin.

Caution - contains the odd sweary word

He's very good.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    UK comics I like are Boyle, Bridges. I enjoy most of Ricky Gervais, Ross Noble and Lee Evans stuff.

Also enjoy George Carlin, Louis CK, Stewart Francis and many more than don't come to mind right now