hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have to say I'm not a fan of jim jefferies, I think he's another one that uses shock tactics to make up for a fundamental lack of intelligence to his routine. Not saying he doesn't have his moments but I don't particularly like his stuff.
    one of my favourites at the moment is shaun locke, he is brilliant.
    i would agree with that about Frankie Boyle, although i do find him funny, but Jim Jeffries is a lot more than just the shock tactics

Anyway, who am i to argue having stated that possibly the most offensive of the lot - Jerry Sadowitz is my favourite
    Last edited by degenerated; 08-12-2010 at 06:57 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    i would agree with that about Frankie Boyle, although i do find him funny, but Jim Jeffries is a lot more than just the shock tactics

Anyway, who am i to argue having stated that possibly the most offensive of the lot - Jerry Sadowitz is my favourite
    Sadowitz does it much better though. I mind he had a show on Channel 4 (IIRC) years back that was just brilliant.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Sadowitz does it much better though. I mind he had a show on Channel 4 (IIRC) years back that was just brilliant.
    the pall bearers review? or the people v jerry sadowitz? both were really good iirc

although he has been banned from tv since

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Best I've seen is probably Ross Noble.

Saw Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges and Jim Jeffries this year. Jeffries and Boyle were better than Bridges in my opinion.

I went to see Simon Amstell a couple of years ago and he was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Hahahahaha!!

That's the first time is seen that... Class

She is pretty tidy too, she could beat my monkey....
    Rem that clip was shown on BBC so If you like that check out some of her other stuff that's to risky for them on youtube.

Currently Kevin Bridges stands out.
    Everyone worships Billy Connolly who, in the words of Jimmy Carr:- ".. practically invented what we do" !

The best I've seen have been either BC (early 80's) or
    Ben Elton who's also a fantastic stand up, when he gets off the political stuff.
    Craig Ferguson was also pretty good (just after his Bing Hitler stint).
    Remember a relatively unknown Harry Enfield in the Assembly Room audience in '82 crying at some of Ferguson's meanderings.

boyle and bridges are very good, but can someone tell me is there any good comedians from the east at the minute, i dont know of any?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    boyle and bridges are very good, but can someone tell me is there any good comedians from the east at the minute, i dont know of any?
    Aye, from Nitten

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Scott Glynn is excellent but perhaps a tad too visceral for some.

There's not that many stand-ups that I've seen that I can honestly say had me in stitches.

I quite like Lee Evans and Peter Kay and the few times that I've seen Kevin Bridges on TV, I think he's quite good as well but other than that, I just don't find any of them that funny.

A lot of them just seem to be crude and overly offensive to me and I don't think it's in a humorous way. I certainly can't stand Frankie Boyle.

Far be it for me to ever come to the defence of Jordan/Katie Price, because I don't really have any time for her either, but Boyle's "joke" about her disabled son during his show on Channel 4 the other night was absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable.

I agree completely with what I read someone else say the other day, which is that telling such a joke during one of his tours is entirely different to what he actually did do which was say it on national TV and shame on Channel 4 for allowing that part of his show to be broadcast.

I don't think it's good enough to say "Oh but everyone knows what Frankie's like and a warning was put out before the programme started". That's fine if all we're talking about is bad language but making a fool of a young disabled boy who has no way of replying to the attack is just vile and beneath contempt.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Scott Glynn is excellent but perhaps a tad too visceral for some.
    He's excellent I saw him at the Haddy Ath speakers night, i'd definately see him again.

John Gahagan, ex-Motherwell, is very good too. As is Joe Camay.
    Last edited by .Sean.; 14-12-2010 at 05:26 PM.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    There's not that many stand-ups that I've seen that I can honestly say had me in stitches.

I quite like Lee Evans and Peter Kay and the few times that I've seen Kevin Bridges on TV, I think he's quite good as well but other than that, I just don't find any of them that funny.

A lot of them just seem to be crude and overly offensive to me and I don't think it's in a humorous way. I certainly can't stand Frankie Boyle.

Far be it for me to ever come to the defence of Jordan/Katie Price, because I don't really have any time for her either, but Boyle's "joke" about her disabled son during his show on Channel 4 the other night was absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable.

I agree completely with what I read someone else say the other day, which is that telling such a joke during one of his tours is entirely different to what he actually did do which was say it on national TV and shame on Channel 4 for allowing that part of his show to be broadcast.

I don't think it's good enough to say "Oh but everyone knows what Frankie's like and a warning was put out before the programme started". That's fine if all we're talking about is bad language but making a fool of a young disabled boy who has no way of replying to the attack is just vile and beneath contempt.
    I'd say you are over-sensitive.

Frankie Boyle is a comedian. The show is a comedy show.

He makes (or for some people I suppose the correct words would be 'attempts to make') people laugh for a living.

He didn't, as far as I know, leave the studio, jump in a taxi and head straight to Jordans home to grab her child and spit in his face. What he did do though was make fun of someone on a comedy TV show, how many comedians take the mick out of people? Fat people...fine. Gingers.....fine. Look like a paedo......that's also fine. Disabled boy....noooooooo he'll be upset!

If the morality police or the politically correct brigade have to now be consulted before making jokes then the world is going to end up a much sadder place.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

He makes (or for some people I suppose the correct words would be 'attempts to make') people laugh for a living.

He didn't, as far as I know, leave the studio, jump in a taxi and head straight to Jordans home to grab her child and spit in his face. What he did do though was make fun of someone on a comedy TV show, how many comedians take the mick out of people? Fat people...fine. Gingers.....fine. Look like a paedo......that's also fine. Disabled boy....noooooooo he'll be upset!

If the morality police or the politically correct brigade have to now be consulted before making jokes then the world is going to end up a much sadder place.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

Disabled or not he shouldn't be making comments that ANY child would sexually assault their mother.

It doesn't matter that it was Jordan's son he was talking about, to say that about any one's child is out of order.

That's where your defence of him falls down. It just wasn't funny. That's nothing to do with being PC at all. It was more like watching the drunk guy at a party of who is making a total erse of himself whilst offending everybody in the room. I was a fan of Boyles, he used to be a funny guy. On his new show he comes across as a boring, unfunny bully.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Disabled or not he shouldn't be making comments that ANY child would sexually assault their mother.

It doesn't matter that it was Jordan's son he was talking about, to say that about any one's child is out of order.
    Why not? That's a serious question, I'd genuinely like to have an actual reason why that's out of bounds for comedy.

Why not? That's a serious question, I'd genuinely like to have an actual reason why that's out of bounds for comedy.
    Because he's talking about an innocent child, a child who can't defend himself against such comments. No child deserves to be spoken about in such a manner.

Maybe it's because I'm a Mum and I know how I would feel if someone said that about my son.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That's where your defence of him falls down. It just wasn't funny. That's nothing to do with being PC at all. It was more like watching the drunk guy at a party of who is making a total erse of himself whilst offending everybody in the room. I was a fan of Boyles, he used to be a funny guy. On his new show he comes across as a boring, unfunny bully.
    Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant though. The point in question is 'should someone be making that joke or those kind of jokes'.

I say yes. I say that for a comedian there are no boundaries. It's not story hour. Comedians most often shouldn't be taken litterally.

If a comedian makes jokes that people don't think are funny then he'll not be a comedian for much longer. (Andy Parsons is the exception to that rule...)

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

agreed, imo the more shocking the joke the better, i tend to find laughing at things is the best way to deal with them.

Not really a big fan of stand up shows, can't really be ersed with people standing up on stage trying to be funny, prefer dryer senses of humour and the thought if seeing a bad show puts me off completely as i reckon it'd be so cringeworthy i couldn't watch it.

Of the dvd's i've seen the funniest would probably be Richard Pryor or Bill Hicks, absolutely brilliant.

The worst would probably be Russel Brand or that pub landlord guy, they say things that just aren't funny but try to make it funny by talking weird or shouting, just dinnae get it.

Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant though. The point in question is 'should someone be making that joke or those kind of jokes'.

I say yes. I say that for a comedian there are no boundaries. It's not story hour. Comedians most often shouldn't be taken litterally.

If a comedian makes jokes that people don't think are funny then he'll not be a comedian for much longer. (Andy Parsons is the exception to that rule...)
    Why not? Don't we all work within certain moral boundaries. Why should comedians be any different? For me attacking a specific child on national television can not be justified.

Gamer IDs

Because he's talking about an innocent child, a child who can't defend himself against such comments. No child deserves to be spoken about in such a manner.

Maybe it's because I'm a Mum and I know how I would feel if someone said that about my son.
    It was a joke. A joke that I'd argue the young lad quite possibly wouldnt have ever even heard about had his mum not decided to go to the press about it.

Nevertheless, I repeat, it was just a joke.

It was a joke. A joke that I'd argue the young lad quite possibly wouldnt have ever even heard about had his mum not decided to go to the press about it.

Nevertheless, I repeat, it was just a joke.
    Depends on what you call a joke. There's nothing remotely funny about it imo.

Gamer IDs

Depends on what you call a joke. There's nothing remotely funny about it imo.
    It's Frankie Boyle's comedy show, so the material he uses are all jokes in his act/show. Whether they are funny is a matter of personal opinion for those who hear or read it.

Though, whether you think it is or it's not funny doesn't take away from the fact that it was included as part of his act as a joke.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Why not? Don't we all work within certain moral boundaries. Why should comedians be any different? For me attacking a specific child on national television can not be justified.
    Well, can you tell me where the line is then? What is the absolute limit of what a comedian can make a joke about, and what's just over the limit?

I don't think there is an answer to that, and that's why I'd suggest there are no boundaries for comedians. And personally, I'm glad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by easty;2660941[B
    ]Well, can you tell me where the line is then?[/B] What is the absolute limit of what a comedian can make a joke about, and what's just over the limit?

I don't think there is an answer to that, and that's why I'd suggest there are no boundaries for comedians. And personally, I'm glad about that.
    No I can't, it comes down to personal judgement and many comedians do make that judgement. Don't you have your own moral boundaries you would not cross?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

to say that a comedian has no boundaries is nonsense. we have come a long way since people laughed at disabled people, or at least we should have.
    To go on television and make a joke out of someone's disabled child is revolting, imho. There should rightly be subjects that are out of bounds for comedians. Do disabled people need to become figures of fun for the rest of it? It's ok, because jordan's son probably wouldn't haves heard it, so essentially we can laugh at disabled people so long as we do it behind their backs?
    You can go too far with jokes. Without someone reigning him in, boyle has alienated all but those who are, imho, too stupid to work out what is socially and morally acceptable.
    I he started making racist jokes he'd be off the tv, imho his attempts at humour with some of his recent jokes should be treated similarly.

Gamer IDs

to say that a comedian has no boundaries is nonsense. we have come a long way since people laughed at disabled people, or at least we should have.
    To go on television and make a joke out of someone's disabled child is revolting, imho. There should rightly be subjects that are out of bounds for comedians. Do disabled people need to become figures of fun for the rest of it? It's ok, because jordan's son probably wouldn't haves heard it, so essentially we can laugh at disabled people so long as we do it behind their backs?
    You can go too far with jokes. Without someone reigning him in, boyle has alienated all but those who are, imho, too stupid to work out what is socially and morally acceptable.
    I he started making racist jokes he'd be off the tv, imho his attempts at humour with some of his recent jokes should be treated similarly.
    Do you think it's ok to laugh at fatties or gingers? Maybe personally you don't, but I'd argue that there would be no outcry if his jokes were directed at only fatties and gingers. If that's fair game, then why are disabled people untouchable? Are they more sensitive? They might get upset?

If he was making racist jokes I expect he would be off of tv, which is odd to me. If what he's doing is clearly a joke (which the Harvey thing clearly was) and not said to incite any kind of hatred then I don't think it should be out of bounds. I don't expect that'll ever happen though. Society is too touchy and far too quick to take offence and see the worst in everything. Black comedians make jokes that would be regarded as racist if they were said by white comedians, but then people find them funny.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Do you think it's ok to laugh at fatties or gingers? Maybe personally you don't, but I'd argue that there would be no outcry if his jokes were directed at only fatties and gingers. If that's fair game, then why are disabled people untouchable? Are they more sensitive? They might get upset?

If he was making racist jokes I expect he would be off of tv, which is odd to me. If what he's doing is clearly a joke (which the Harvey thing clearly was) and not said to incite any kind of hatred then I don't think it should be out of bounds. I don't expect that'll ever happen though. Society is too touchy and far too quick to take offence and see the worst in everything. Black comedians make jokes that would be regarded as racist if they were said by white comedians, but then people find them funny.
    You can't compare fat or ginger jokes with laughing at disabled people, it's completely different.

It's not ok if it's clearly a joke, absolutely not. I'm not easily offended and I consider myself to have a good sense of humour, however there are subjects that should fundamentally not be used to laugh at.

There isn't anything funny about a disabled child. I don't care how someone wants to present the 'joke' - it's just not funny.

Not only that, but resorting to a shock joke like that shows nothing more than a complete lack of imagination from Frankie Boyle.

If you want to see comedians take a potentially distasteful subject andT create humour around it in a way that does push boundaries, you should look up Brasseye.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Watched a bit of Frankie Boyle's show last night. Couldn't quite believe how awful it was. It was as if the audience were scared of him, that they had to laugh for fear of him smacking them in the mouth. He's run out of material obviously and going for shock tactics masquerading as "challenging" humour. That's the really funny bit, that anyone could think this as "challenging". Other than Channel 4 executives maybe.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Watched a bit of Frankie Boyle's show last night. Couldn't quite believe how awful it was. It was as if the audience were scared of him, that they had to laugh for fear of him smacking them in the mouth. He's run out of material obviously and going for shock tactics masquerading as "challenging" humour. That's the really funny bit, that anyone could think this as "challenging". Other than Channel 4 executives maybe.
    I thought Boyle was a funny man, his comedy was my type of comedy. Although his tramadol nights is the biggest load of tripe i have seen on tv. And as you say, the crowd look petrified of him, just in case he picks on them. I cant see the show getting a 2nd series, its not remotely funny.