hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mercer song

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm obviously in the minority on here however this song disgusts me.

I'm from the generation that lived through all this and I despise as much as everyone else what he tried to do but celebrating the fact he has died

I'm not asking anyone to respect him or indeed to like him but he was a human being with a family just like the rest of us - family who may well get to read some of the bile that gets posted like this.

I'll be singing my head of like the rest of us on Sunday but if that song starts up you'll no hear me (and many others) joining in.

This has nothing to do with taking moral high ground - there's idiots on either side who are just as bad as each other.

Its about common decency.
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I'm with you.
    I agree too. For me it's not a question of respect or disrespect for Mercer, more that I have too much self respect to sing that song.

2. Log in to remove the advert

While this debate is sure to rage on for a little while yet, I suggest we kick back with a beer and play a little game of "where's wallace"

wallace.JPG

@hibs.net private member Www1875hfc's Avatar
    Ah is this a trick? ye cannae fool us hibees fans, he is 6 feet under in that sand pit eh?

Is he dying in the corner?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

spoiler alert

he's in the candy floss que

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    we should sing the mercer song

tell all the hearts you no
    LTYF

Probably the worst taste post I have seen this year and clearly from a yam. Get this juvenile yam launched please

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    = =
    Pure genius and illustrates beautifully why you'll never stop people, particularly youngsters who like to shock, from singing that song. Personally I don't care for it myself and never sing it but I'm not offended by others doing so. It's their choice.

Left by mutual consent!
    Found him
    Last edited by Saorsa; 05-11-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    While this debate is sure to rage on for a little while yet, I suggest we kick back with a beer and play a little game of "where's wallace"

wallace.JPG
    thats quality. Couldnt find him till he was pointed out tho

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Found him

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    the joke was on me though there's already a tombstone in the pic

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Although I loathed the man, I don't think we should lower ourselves to their level with these sort of chants. Leave this in the gutter where it belongs. There are better ways of getting behind our team.
    despised him and what he stood for, was around at the time when he failed, have plenty memories of giving him stick but think we should be above this particular song, he is dead, it tells a lot of neutral observers that we are not much better than the unwashed and some of their hateful songs. Private loathing and quiet satisfaction at his failure and where they are now is enough for me thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Sorry, but it's you not making sense.

I assume when he was alive you had no objection to him being sung against?

So, by that measure you are advocating a change from him being disrespected to not being disrespected just due to him being dead.

I've yet to hear any sort of valid reason as to why being dead changes the way that you should think or act about that person.
    I assume that you've been to a funeral before.........

Would you stand up in the middle of the service and tell everyone what a dick the guy was?

Even though you had no problem in telling him and everyone else what a tosspot her was whilst still here........think about it.

This is football ffs; if you think a human life is less important then go join one of the bigot brothers.

I mean yea, I have no problem in saying that Wallace Mercer was a tit that tried to kill one of the things I love most in my life but I'll pass on celebrating and singing about the guys death, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Be honest though Andy, that's not what the song is. The song is actually revelling in someone's death, which goes way beyond respect or disrespect for a living person.

Tin Hat on here but I personally can't see the difference between this and the kind of stuff sung by the bigot brothers.

I now await the insults, as someone who's dared to disagree with the majority.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

I'm from the generation that lived through all this and I despise as much as everyone else what he tried to do but celebrating the fact he has died

I'm not asking anyone to respect him or indeed to like him but he was a human being with a family just like the rest of us - family who may well get to read some of the bile that gets posted like this.

I'll be singing my head of like the rest of us on Sunday but if that song starts up you'll no hear me (and many others) joining in.

This has nothing to do with taking moral high ground - there's idiots on either side who are just as bad as each other.

Its a massively well worn path this one, said plenty bad things about the man myself and still think them but for me I actually dont think it shows us in a particularly great light if we continue to express it in this way.

The guy failed to do what his money grabbing capitalist instincts made him try, never gave a **** about football, look how things went down their way after this property speculation went horribly wrong.

His legacy for me on this one is that he looked a bit of an arse who was outmanouvered by fans he massively underestimated, and a different kind of businessman who cared about more than money.

Inersting how our clubs have fared since.

Why are people comparing us to the old firm? It's nothing to do with them, they've never had to deal with the situation we did.

See it for what it is, justified hatred of a sc*mbag who tried to end us to suit his own agenda.

Rot in hell you piece of filth.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    I assume that you've been to a funeral before.........

Would you stand up in the middle of the service and tell everyone what a dick the guy was?

Even though you had no problem in telling him and everyone else what a tosspot her was whilst still here........think about it.

This is football ffs; if you think a human life is less important then go join one of the bigot brothers.

I mean yea, I have no problem in saying that Wallace Mercer was a tit that tried to kill one of the things I love most in my life but I'll pass on celebrating and singing about the guys death, thank you very much.

Why on earth would I go to the funeral of someone who I thought was a dick?

And yes, if I called him a dick when alive he'd now just be a dead dick.

Death seems to have a strange effect on some!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    Why are people comparing us to the old firm? It's nothing to do with them, they've never had to deal with the situation we did.

See it for what it is, justified hatred of a sc*mbag who tried to end us to suit his own agenda.

Rot in hell you piece of filth.
    Why? Because of comments like "Rot in hell you piece of filth."

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    I have not read the thread after page 1 so if this has been dealt with I apologise.

In the past I have worked for both STF and Mercer. If you ask me who was/is the better man I would say STF for a host of reasons. However Mercer does have a family and I really have an issue about revelling in someones death.

I was at a funeral today of a great guy. His family were there and while I could smile at the stories I struggled with the personal family grief.

I think we become less when we personalise abuse. Yes we upset the Hertz supporters (Not just the nutters) but what is gained. The sensible guys say thats out of order and its hard to argue.

The reality is Wallace Mercer is dead and cannot have any influence on Hibs. In fact Hibs are so different to when Waldo was about that he is of no consequence to Hibs.

I have had a drink and will continue to do so for sometime tonight thinking about a friend and his family. Singing the Mercer is dead song does not make me feel like a Hibernian supporter. Its a wind up for the oppostion and will not encourage the team in any way. Sorry guys but grow up and get some decent songs that we can all sing.

I despised the fat, odious ****** when he was alive and I'm not going to change that just cos he's deid.

Tosser in life and death imo.

(I always find the way the ****bos rewrite history on Mercer amusing. They hated him almost as much as we did at one stage when he was raping their club on renting parts of the stadium from him).

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Hopefully these young bams who never lived through the nightmare that sing this song will pass it on to their kids so they can hate him too. For generations to come his name should be held in contempt.

= =
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    And to those who suggest we're offending his family, they offended us earlier this year by defiantly advocating the fat welt's attempt to eradicate us from the history books. Even now, 20 years on.
    Absolutely. I remember their stance all too well. **** the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    I have not read the thread after page 1 so if this has been dealt with I apologise.

In the past I have worked for both STF and Mercer. If you ask me who was/is the better man I would say STF for a host of reasons. However Mercer does have a family and I really have an issue about revelling in someones death.

I was at a funeral today of a great guy. His family were there and while I could smile at the stories I struggled with the personal family grief.

I think we become less when we personalise abuse. Yes we upset the Hertz supporters (Not just the nutters) but what is gained. The sensible guys say thats out of order and its hard to argue.

The reality is Wallace Mercer is dead and cannot have any influence on Hibs. In fact Hibs are so different to when Waldo was about that he is of no consequence to Hibs.

I have had a drink and will continue to do so for sometime tonight thinking about a friend and his family. Singing the Mercer is dead song does not make me feel like a Hibernian supporter. Its a wind up for the oppostion and will not encourage the team in any way. Sorry guys but grow up and get some decent songs that we can all sing.
    I think there's a big difference though. I remember at the time hating the guy and wishing him dead. I've rarely felt so much hate towards another person in my life. The feeling never left me. When he died, I rejoiced. I think many others feel the same way. The memories of June 1990 will last forever. That's why we'll never forget what Mercer did and why many of us will continue to rejoice in his passing. He was not a great guy in the slightest.

Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Jambo not taking the news well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrSy9r0-lMg

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Why on earth would I go to the funeral of someone who I thought was a dick?

And yes, if I called him a dick when alive he'd now just be a dead dick.

Death seems to have a strange effect on some!
    I did say think about it.............

There is a big difference in thinking someone is a tit even in death and publically singing about it -the hypothetical funeral situation was simply an example of the principle I'm trying to convey here.

What was that about death having a strange effect on people
    Last edited by Dinkydoo; 08-11-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is just the same thing as Sid Vicious walking through the Paris Jewish quarter with a swastika armband. Funny when you're 18 and never experienced death, but as you get older not something that amuses you any more.