hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    What gets me and has done for some time is players harranging refs. It seems now EVERY decision is questioned and managers have admitted to telling players to continually question decisions.
    If I was the ref I would tell the 3/4/5 players who surround me that they have 5 seconds to retreat or they will be booked. Only the captain should be allowed to inquire why a particular decision was given.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He didnt get knocked over, he took the foul. He didn't dive, he saw that the defender would have no chance of getting out the way and won the penalty.

Look, it's not as if I'm no saying I'd be happy about it if it happened against us and I'm certainly nae fan of Broadfoot but what he did was clever.

Hypothetically say it was Hibs v Celtic and Hart was faced with the same situation, would you want him to run into Majstorovic and get nothing (possibly a free-kick for obstruction but probably not even that) or take the contact, go down, and get us a penalty.
    Of course he dived he was going down before any contact was made.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Is it true the Rangers fans ordered 2 Millers and a bitter Lennon last Sunday night?

Think most fans quite happy if it is players in their our own team though - remember the "He dived and we know he dived" chant when Darren Jackson won a last minute penalty at Parkhead in 1995-96 - which incidentally could have been a factor in Celtic losing league that season.

Though do not remember Celtic as a club (Burns manager then) getting so worked up about it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Some very interesting opinions on this thread.

Im surprised and delighted I didnt contribute to this thread Eight years bump?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    What gets me and has done for some time is players harranging refs. It seems now EVERY decision is questioned and managers have admitted to telling players to continually question decisions.
    If I was the ref I would tell the 3/4/5 players who surround me that they have 5 seconds to retreat or they will be booked. Only the captain should be allowed to inquire why a particular decision was given.
    Problem is that haranguing the ref gets results. It's the same with players who try to stay on their feet when fouled in the box, they get nothing. But there's a good chance they'll get their side a pen if they go down. Refs only have themselves to blame.

Take our last game v St J. Had 4 or 5 Hibs players piled into the ref and made a scene after Alton's assault, chances are the ref would have reacted and sent the guy off just to defuse the situation. As it is, few Hibs players reacted and SJM made a lot less of the tackle than many would have. That allowed the ref to play the whole thing down and cover up the assault with a yellow.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Problem is that haranguing the ref gets results. It's the same with players who try to stay on their feet when fouled in the box, they get nothing. But there's a good chance they'll get their side a pen if they go down. Refs only have themselves to blame.

Take our last game v St J. Had 4 or 5 Hibs players piled into the ref and made a scene after Alton's assault, chances are the ref would have reacted and sent the guy off just to defuse the situation. As it is, few Hibs players reacted and SJM made a lot less of the tackle than many would have. That allowed the ref to play the whole thing down and cover up the assault with a yellow.
    Wow. Is that the latest ever reply to a post? There are kids who weren't born when the original post was made that are now in primary school.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Im surprised and delighted I didnt contribute to this thread Eight years bump?
    Same here. Must have got lucky!

And I agree, searching for and rekindling the thread was a strange thing for BH to do.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Marinello has to say about it, though.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    I’m very impressed I never made a drunken contribution to this, but what is more impressive is the OP’s premonition 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Same here. Must have got lucky!

And I agree, searching for and rekindling the thread was a strange thing for BH to do.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Marinello has to say about it, though.
    It wasn't really BHs doing. I linked it on the thread about Beaton to make a point about how some of the opinions about the refs strike now and then differ hugely. It's not meant as a dig at anyone, was just a general point about the fickle nature of football fans.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It wasn't really BHs doing. I linked it on the thread about Beaton to make a point about how some of the opinions about the refs strike now and then differ hugely. It's not meant as a dig at anyone, was just a general point about the fickle nature of football fans.
    Gotcha.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I'm going to lock this thread.

I linked it in the thread about Beaton as an illustration of the different perceptions of the refs strike then and now and how our view changes based on what side of the fence we are on.

It's not fair that a snapshot in time gets dragged up without context. I still think my point stands that the viewpoint from then and now has changed massively but I suppose that isn't unique to this topic.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years