hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Alfred Dunhill Links Championship

A reminder that the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship begins on Thursday. Played over the 4 days at 3 courses, entry is free and there are an array of golfing superstars, as well as some top name celebrities on show.

Entry is free at all courses between Thursday and Saturday and there's a small admission fee on Sunday at St Andrews (£25 rings a bell).

Most of the European Ryder Cup team will be playing and a couple of decent names will no doubt make the trip from all over the world, including Singh, Els, Scott and British Open Winner, Luis Oosthuizen.

Some celebrity names include Samuel L Jackson, Hugh Grant, Huey Lewis, Franz Klamer, Tim Henman, Ruud Gullit, Jamie Redknapp, Kyle McClachlan, Bobby Charlton, Chris Evans and Shane Warne (to name a few).

Get yourselves along - the weather forecast looks good, it's free, the golf on display is usually good, and the interaction between players and crowd is brilliant, as it's a pressure free environment for the most part. Oh, and the 3 courses it's played over are absolutely sensational!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Entry is free at all courses between Thursday and Saturday and there's a small admission fee on Sunday at St Andrews (£25 rings a bell)
    Fifteen quid on Sunday, ten for concessions and free for U-16s and students.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    Fifteen quid on Sunday, ten for concessions and free for U-16s and students.
    Scott's obviously offering to pay for you and him

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Ruud Guillit and Johan Cruyff over in the East of Scotland this week

Would love to go down but took my car back home last weekend. Will investigate trains as the playing lineup seems fantastic!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Houchy View Post
    Scott's obviously offering to pay for you and him
    Can ye no read? "Free for students"

Can ye no read? "Free for students"
    You still a tax dodging, parasite on society

Gamer IDs

The real bitch of it is, being a PhD Student funded by a government research council, is that you're paying my very generous monthly stipend.

Cheers!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The draw:-

http://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/do...oAlphaList.pdf

i've never really been enthusiastic about the format of this tournament.
    However the weather forecast looks quite promising and since it's free admisssion, I might just take a trip to St Andrews on Friday as the pick of the professionals seem to be playing there.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    The draw:-

http://www.alfreddunhilllinks.com/do...oAlphaList.pdf

i've never really been enthusiastic about the format of this tournament.
    However the weather forecast looks quite promising and since it's free admisssion, I might just take a trip to St Andrews on Friday as the pick of the professionals seem to be playing there.
    Going to head along to Carnoustie on the Saturday and spend the day there - if I get done with work quickly enough on Friday, I might head along to St Andrews also.

I don't mind the pro-am format - it's a lot more relaxed than the normal competitions and the atmosphere is a lot friendlier - I do, however, dislike 2 things about the Dunhill, but it's the nature of the beast:

1) People turning up and being "Celeb-hunters"
    2) Having to watch amateurs play round courses which are set up for a professional tournament, therefore making them look utterly woeful, moreso than normal - I'd rather watch professionals playing proper golf, not watch the CEO of some foreign bank/business (for the most part) hack their way around these sensational tracks!)

Going to head along to Carnoustie on the Saturday and spend the day there - if I get done with work quickly enough on Friday, I might head along to St Andrews also.

I don't mind the pro-am format - it's a lot more relaxed than the normal competitions and the atmosphere is a lot friendlier - I do, however, dislike 2 things about the Dunhill, but it's the nature of the beast:

1) People turning up and being "Celeb-hunters"
    2) Having to watch amateurs play round courses which are set up for a professional tournament, therefore making them look utterly woeful, moreso than normal - I'd rather watch professionals playing proper golf, not watch the CEO of some foreign bank/business (for the most part) hack their way around these sensational tracks!)
    Aye you'll not be saying that when you are a CEO of some company and they invite you to play.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Aye you'll not be saying that when you are a CEO of some company and they invite you to play.
    I'm still hopeful I'll be the one inviting the *******s

How come the tournament is still called the Dunhill?

I thought all cigarette advertising was banned from sport these days?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    How come the tournament is still called the Dunhill?

I thought all cigarette advertising was banned from sport these days?
    The Dunhill name
    Letter to Editor, The Courier, 15 October 2001
    Sir, - We refer to the article headed ‘Residents fear Dunhill will bring few benefits’ which appeared in the October 11 issue of your newspaper.
    In that article, you incorrectly associate the Dunhill cigarette brand with the luxury goods brand, Alfred Dunhill Limited which sponsors the Dunhill Links Championship golf tournament. We trust this letter will clarify the position.
    Alfred Dunhill Limited is a subsidiary within the Richemont luxury group of companies alongside other luxury brands such as Cartier, Montblanc, Vacheron Constantin, Baume & Mercier and Van Cleef & Arpels. The business was established in 1893 when a range of high-quality goods (including clothing, leather products and luggage) for the carriage and motor trade - then itself a luxury business - was produced. We began our business with luxury goods.
    In over a century trading, the Dunhill and Alfred Dunhill names have achieved a premier reputation for a wide range of products including watches, jewellery, lighters, writing instruments, fashion accessories, leather goods and tailored products. Other luxury products produced under these names include eye-wear, fragrance and whisky.
    Alfred Dunhill does not manufacture tobacco products and does not own the Dunhill name for tobacco. The company’s business is dedicated to luxury goods. You should be aware that, in the context of anti-tobacco advertising legislation worldwide, our advertising and sponsorship activities are not restricted by any legislation.
    You will understand that any erroneous association with the Dunhill cigarette brand is potentially damaging to the Alfred Dunhill name and we should be grateful if you would, therefore, print this clarification.

Alfred Dunhill Limited, Knightsbridge, London

Had £10 on Parry after Thursdays round but he's blown it with his Bogey, Double combo. Really wanted Westwood to win (or at least get the 2nd place he needed) if it wasnt Parry.