hibs.net Messageboard

New Scottish world champion!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8955013.stm

Get in there!!

I don't know much about the boy's career but I thought he had already lost the fight in the build-up. He looked nervous and uncomfortable during all the interviews and especially during the weigh-in.

He did say he would do his talking in the ring and he certainly did that. Maybe it's a Scottish thing...but never judge a book by it's cover.

Well done Ricky Burns!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fantastic to have a Scottish World Champion, well done Burns

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I don't know much about the boy's career but I thought he had already lost the fight in the build-up. He looked nervous and uncomfortable during all the interviews and especially during the weigh-in.

..he's not the brightest and that pre-match dodgy interviews was accredited as being the most relaxed and confident he's been so far. They thought he dealt well with the cut-throat motion given by the Puertorican at the weigh-in.

H ehas good potential though Burns, a bit more belief might see him get a few more stoppages as so far he is portrayed as not having much of punch. Alex Arthur was grinning at ring side, maybe thinking of a shoot-out at the SECC or something. He says his reduced wieght days are behind hm now but money will change that.

Fantastic result for Ricky and British boxing in general. I was at the Kelvin Hall on Saturday night and it was one of the best boxing shows i've been to in years. Ricky Burns put on the performance of his life against a tricky and tough opponent and deserves great credit for climbing of the canvas so earlier on against a puncher.

On the whole things are looking very bright for British boxing at the moment. After the retirements of Calzaghe and Hatton over the last couple of years things may have stagnated but the sport looks to be producing some hugely exciting fighters. Obviously there is Haye and Khan but just below that level there is a wealth of talent. Kevin Mitchell is far better than he showed against Michael Catsidis and will be back at some point this year, Nathan Cleverley is not far away from a shot at a world title, George Groves is a hugely exciting super middleweight, Matthew Macklin is perfroming very well at the moment, Matthew Hatton appears to have found a new lease of life under a new trainer, the 'boxing binman' Rendall Munroe has a title shot this year in Japan, obviosuly now Ricky Burns is right up there, Craig McEwan isn't far away from a shot at a major title and the 3 'Olympians' continue to improve as pros, especially Frankie Gavin who has all the tools to go to the very top.

The future is certainly bright for boxing in the UK.