First Team Breakthrough Fisherrow Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ole miss v Texas tech
    Washington v auburn
    Cincinnati v ucla
    Byu v Arizona

all on bt espn on Saturday!
    Great I'll have a look! Still, even after watching American Football for 30 odd years off and on, to really pick a collage team. By default I like the Badgers due to being a Packers fan, though find it difficult to really have an affiliation with any. It's a bit like how my English team is Hibs, as is my Spanish, Italian and French team.
    Really looking forward to the season the buzz is starting to build, roll on a week on Sunday, pizza will be ordered and it'll be back to back NFL from 18:00 right through to the early hours, Bears v Packers first late night game, yahoo!

Also, is it too late to be involved in the fantasy league?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherrow Harp View Post
    Also, is it too late to be involved in the fantasy league?
    Yeah, we literally finished our draft at the end of last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherrow Harp View Post
    Great I'll have a look! Still, even after watching American Football for 30 odd years off and on, to really pick a collage team. By default I like the Badgers due to being a Packers fan, though find it difficult to really have an affiliation with any. It's a bit like how my English team is Hibs, as is my Spanish, Italian and French team.
    Really looking forward to the season the buzz is starting to build, roll on a week on Sunday, pizza will be ordered and it'll be back to back NFL from 18:00 right through to the early hours, Bears v Packers first late night game, yahoo!
    I'm also not sure how people in the UK pick a college team without any connection. I spent time studying at Michigan, and I now work for Stanford, so proudly support both of those schools (thankfully, they haven't played each other since 1976!).

I actually don't know how many people in our group "have" a college team. I know DH is an Ohio State fan, and I have it in mind that James is a St John's fan (but primarily for basketball?), but I'm not sure anyone else passionately follows a particular school...

I'm over in California for the first week of the NFL, so I'll be finding a decent sport bar in downtown Palo Alto and having a few beers and watching the games

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I'm also not sure how people in the UK pick a college team without any connection. I spent time studying at Michigan, and I now work for Stanford, so proudly support both of those schools (thankfully, they haven't played each other since 1976!).

I actually don't know how many people in our group "have" a college team. I know DH is an Ohio State fan, and I have it in mind that James is a St John's fan (but primarily for basketball?), but I'm not sure anyone else passionately follows a particular school...

I'm over in California for the first week of the NFL, so I'll be finding a decent sport bar in downtown Palo Alto and having a few beers and watching the games
    Uni of Miami Hurricanes for me. Stayed on the campus one summer with a family member who lectured there, loved it. Also like to see Washington Huskies do well because of the Seattle thing, so I'll be watching the Auburn game on Saturday.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 27-08-2018 at 09:27 PM.

I "follow" NC State as my friend Georgina went there, I kinda "follow" UCONN as I lived there and went to a game.

I kinda "follow" Seton Hall at basketball because I get freebies.

But yeah, no actual attachment to any college. Rutgers are close so I'll watch them but if they lose... Oh well.

I’m starting to lean towards Georgia purely for personnel reasons. AJ Green is my favourite player and Jake Fromm really impressed me in the afore mentioned TV program.

I follow Ole Miss, I've got a friend who is a massive Ole Miss fan and I watch a lot of football with him, so I just kind of picked it up from there. I wouldn't say I was a fan, but would look out for their results and try to watch games when I can.

Went to the Egg Bowl in 2016 for my first live college game. Apart from the result it was quite an enjoyable and an interesting experience, but I find it hard to say I support the team given the ongoing issues with race at the university.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-miss-n820881

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Uni of Miami Hurricanes for me. Stayed on the campus one summer with a family member who lectured there, loved it. Also like to see Washington Huskies do well because of the Seattle thing, so I'll be watching the Auburn game on Saturday.
    Got tickets for Washington v Arizona State in a few weeks. I'm not a huge college football guy compared to NFL but it's still good to watch and even better to get to games.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Got tickets for Washington v Arizona State in a few weeks. I'm not a huge college football guy compared to NFL but it's still good to watch and even better to get to games.
    It might be college football is our best way of following a decent team this season. Seattle 0-3 in preseason and our best player seems to be the rookie punter. Prove me wrong Pete

Gamer IDs

It might be college football is our best way of following a decent team this season. Seattle 0-3 in preseason and our best player seems to be the rookie punter. Prove me wrong Pete
    I'm appreciating the irony that the first time in my adult life I'm in a position to go to a fair few Seahawks games is gonna be our worst season for years; but if I liked successful teams I wouldn't be a Hibee eh!

I think we might actually go 9-7 miraculously, but that also feels like misplaced optimism.

As for the Huskies, I'm interested to see how Browning does this year - I didn't think he was much kop last year but seems to be getting talked up this year.

I'm appreciating the irony that the first time in my adult life I'm in a position to go to a fair few Seahawks games is gonna be our worst season for years; but if I liked successful teams I wouldn't be a Hibee eh!

I think we might actually go 9-7 miraculously, but that also feels like misplaced optimism.

As for the Huskies, I'm interested to see how Browning does this year - I didn't think he was much kop last year but seems to be getting talked up this year.
    I like following Huskies players when they get to the NFL. They (we?) always seem to produce huge nose tackles; Danny Shelton who i think is at the Browns now, and the Tongan, Vita Vea went to the Buccs in the first round in April, ill be interested to see how he does, he's variously between 330-370 lbs, hes an actual bear!! WR John Ross at the Bengals is also an ex Husky, scored a ridiculous TD last week which is all over the highlight reels, hes got amazing speed.

Gamer IDs

I like following Huskies players when they get to the NFL. They (we?) always seem to produce huge nose tackles; Danny Shelton who i think is at the Browns now, and the Tongan, Vita Vea went to the Buccs in the first round in April, ill be interested to see how he does, he's variously between 330-370 lbs, hes an actual bear!! WR John Ross at the Bengals is also an ex Husky, scored a ridiculous TD last week which is all over the highlight reels, hes got amazing speed.
    Aye I’m definitely tracking Vea (and drafted John Ross for my fantasy team) - I’m keeping tabs on Dante Pettis too who I think will be sneaky good for the 49ers this year.

I think it's one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, I have a feeling that the cards aren't going to be any mugs either. Although I am not going to jump on the niners hype train I reckon they will be pretty decent and may have a say if not directly on who wins that division. Though in all honesty I can't see past the Rams in the NFC west.
    Just an aside on the Cards I have a little of a soft spot for them despite the colours they wear, think it goes back to the days of Neil Lomax and I think Larry is fantastic!
    I am going to miss Bruce Arians this year, If we have a rubbish season and get rid of McCarthy, I'd love us to get Bruce in!

College football is amazing and with the amount of games and coverage we get over here now a days I'd urge any football fan to get on board. Don't think its that difficult to pick/find a team, we're all NFL fans after all and had to start somewhere. I'm not sure if its because I'm a Jets fan but have found I'm more excited about college ball than NFL games these days. I love the excitement, the crowds, the atmosphere, the genuine strong proper rivalries and the fact most games are on a Saturday. The size of the crowds that some of these teams play in front of is just crazy. I would genuinely rather watch a big game in the NCAA than most NFL games.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    College football is amazing and with the amount of games and coverage we get over here now a days I'd urge any football fan to get on board. Don't think its that difficult to pick/find a team, we're all NFL fans after all and had to start somewhere. I'm not sure if its because I'm a Jets fan but have found I'm more excited about college ball than NFL games these days. I love the excitement, the crowds, the atmosphere, the genuine strong proper rivalries and the fact most games are on a Saturday. The size of the crowds that some of these teams play in front of is just crazy. I would genuinely rather watch a big game in the NCAA than most NFL games.
    I probably agree with you about the big games in college, they feel more like an event and are so unpredictable.

Gamer IDs

You've told me before I'm sure, but remind me, how did you become a Buckeyes fan?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I didn't watch a lot of NCAA last year as I was a new dad and starting a new job, and didn't have the time or inclination to sit in front of the TV and watch games. But I'm going to the Stanford vs USC game when I'm over there in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to that more than the 49ers vs Lions game on the Sunday!

Just read the first 5 pages of the thread, makes for some interesting reading . Can't believe that was 8 years ago.

For anyone interested in getting into college football there's plenty of coverage on ESPN/BT sports during the season. All these teams wont play each other but if you can find a game involving two of these teams playing each other;

Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, Washington, Texas, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan State, Miami, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida State, Oregon, Virginia Tech and the Ohio State Buckeyes.

You'll be hooked .

8 years? Bloody hell

You've told me before I'm sure, but remind me, how did you become a Buckeyes fan?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I didn't watch a lot of NCAA last year as I was a new dad and starting a new job, and didn't have the time or inclination to sit in front of the TV and watch games. But I'm going to the Stanford vs USC game when I'm over there in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to that more than the 49ers vs Lions game on the Sunday!

Your right, I have .

Luck, timing and a Buckeyes jersey all have something to do with it. Only started to follow college football about 10 years ago. Up until then I'd only really heard of Notre Dame and the Gators. I got a Buckeyes Santonio Holmes jersey and was over the moon with it as its a stunning jersey (still have it). Obviously knew who Holmes was as he'd signed for the Steelers by then but went online to check out the Buckeyes and it really just started from there. When he signed for the Jets it made my day. College ball was starting to get some coverage in the UK and with the Buckeyes being one of the bigger teams it started to be easier to follow them. Now you have wall to wall coverage of college football on tv here and of course, there's the internet. Its actually probably just as easy if not easier to follow the Buckeyes here than the Jets. There will be more Buckeyes games on and with games being on a Saturday its a lot easier to watch them live. Will also say that one of the things that helped get me into it all was the PS3. The PS3 was region free so you could buy the NCAA games online and they'd work here. Loved playing them and really helped with learning stuff about all the teams.

Lads (and ladies) I should be back full time now, I appreciate that you kept me in the league (although someone stole Gronk from me) cheers for that.

Just in time for the MB meltdown!

Gamer IDs

We got off to a winning start against San Diego State earlier - defense look susceptible to a decent run game, but a solid secondary and a decent looking passing game.

The Oregon State vs Ohio State game is just absolutely nuts. Ohio State 77-31 Oregon State

Still 3:50 to go in the 4th!

Mack to the Bears!!!

Paid a a hefty price but the biggest hole in our defence filled and in his prime

We got off to a winning start against San Diego State earlier - defense look susceptible to a decent run game, but a solid secondary and a decent looking passing game.

The Oregon State vs Ohio State game is just absolutely nuts. Ohio State 77-31 Oregon State

Still 3:50 to go in the 4th!

Whats to be confused about .

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Lads (and ladies) I should be back full time now, I appreciate that you kept me in the league (although someone stole Gronk from me) cheers for that.

Just in time for the MB meltdown!
    I did suggest giving you Gronk early doors but it was decided it was too early then someone took him.

Gamer IDs

Whats to be confused about .
    Confused was maybe the wrong smilie, but it was a crazy game. 31 points. Ight ordinarily be enough to win most games. I dont remember seeing such a high scoring game in quite a while!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Confused was maybe the wrong smilie, but it was a crazy game. 31 points. Ight ordinarily be enough to win most games. I dont remember seeing such a high scoring game in quite a while!

True, think we've scored 30 points or over in our last 5 games against you and we've won them .

Out of interest and if we can be serious for a minute, what's your take on the whole Urban Meyer suspension?

Just read the first 5 pages of the thread, makes for some interesting reading . Can't believe that was 8 years ago.

For anyone interested in getting into college football there's plenty of coverage on ESPN/BT sports during the season. All these teams wont play each other but if you can find a game involving two of these teams playing each other;

Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Notre Dame, Washington, Texas, Clemson, Penn State, Michigan State, Miami, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Florida, Florida State, Oregon, Virginia Tech and the Ohio State Buckeyes.

You'll be hooked .

OK, he didn't bite. Guess you can add Michigan and Stanford to the list .

True, think we've scored 30 points or over in our last 5 games against you and we've won them .

Out of interest and if we can be serious for a minute, what's your take on the whole Urban Meyer suspension?
    Round my way the general consensus on Meyer is "**** him" as everyone seems to follow Notre Dame here and apparently he was meant to be their head coach before he signed for your lot so they're all pissed at him.

Gamer IDs

I've only really caught the story since your post, as I hadn't been paying a whole lot of attention. So a former OSU coach domestically abuse his girlfriend (amongst a long list of ****ty behvaiour), was reported to senior coaching staff, but they did nothing until the story had been exposed? Is that about the height of it?

It appeared to be an ongoing legal matter during the period Meyer is accused of not acting appropriately - as soon as his girlfriend was granted a restraining order (i.e., the coach was legally found "guilty"), Ohio State sacked him - I suppose Meyer could have suspended him pending the outcome, but I would imagine such decisions are above the remit of a head coach - isn't that why Universities in the states have sporting directors?!

OK, he didn't bite. Guess you can add Michigan and Stanford to the list .
    I never even noticed, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to support Michigan right now - following Hibs is bad enough