hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Fishing

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Fishing

I'm a pretty keen angler and I just wondered whether there are more of us on .net?

Mainly coarse fishing but also sea (off boats and rock) and more recently fly fishing too.

Just me?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a pretty keen angler and I just wondered whether there are more of us on .net?

Mainly coarse fishing but also sea (off boats and rock) and more recently fly fishing too.

Just me?
    The most participated pastime in the world apparently. You’ll not be alone. Not for me despite having a river near the bottom of my garden growing up.
    Last edited by greenlex; 12-03-2024 at 03:32 PM.

My old man is Linlithgow Angling Club Champion, he loves his fishing. I'll always remember the massive boost he got during lockdown when they were allowed to start fishing again, he was like a little kid on Xmas morning.

A guy who used to post on here took me fishing once, i asked him for a beginners lesson because i thought it might be up my street, i like nature and enjoy the outdoors. I just never got into it. Too much silence for too long, i think. I do like watching Mortimer and Whitehouse do it though!

Was brought up on the river Tweed so used to guddle the salmon bring them home and put them in the bath for my mum. Live near the river Thames now & theres no way I'm putting my hands in that.

Can be very therapeutic and torture at the same time.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I’ve never tried it; it isn’t something that appeals to me, but I think I would be temperamentally suited to it, as I like my own company and can sit quietly for hours. I think I would need a book to keep me occupied. It seems to be one of those hobbies like golf, in that people would love it or hate it, and those who love it get obsessed with it.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Haven’t fished in 30 odd years since moving to Scotland. Was a keen coarse fisher throughout my youth and early twenties. Mainly lakes and stock pond fishing. One of my favourite places to fish used to be Capesthorne Hall stock pond near Knutsford. Will probably dabble again when retired.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    I'm a fishaholic. River Tweed, Clyde, Don, Nith, Tummel, Tay I fish them all. I've met loads of pals due to the fishing. 8 of us head up to fish Orkney every year now.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    I'm a fishaholic. River Tweed, Clyde, Don, Nith, Tummel, Tay I fish them all. I've met loads of pals due to the fishing. 8 of us head up to fish Orkney every year now.
    My old man used to go fishing up there every year, they go to Rutland each year more recently.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    My old man is Linlithgow Angling Club Champion, he loves his fishing. I'll always remember the massive boost he got during lockdown when they were allowed to start fishing again, he was like a little kid on Xmas morning.
    That's a fly fishing club. They've got a nice Facebook page and a pretty decently active membership by the look of it.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    A guy who used to post on here took me fishing once, i asked him for a beginners lesson because i thought it might be up my street, i like nature and enjoy the outdoors. I just never got into it. Too much silence for too long, i think. I do like watching Mortimer and Whitehouse do it though!
    Who was that and can you remember where he took you fishing? If it was coarse then depending on how you are fishing it can be a bit monotonous if they're not biting.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Was brought up on the river Tweed so used to guddle the salmon bring them home and put them in the bath for my mum. Live near the river Thames now & theres no way I'm putting my hands in that.

Can be very therapeutic and torture at the same time.
    I'm very jealous. I know the Thames varies in the bits that are pretty and the bits that are not but its a cracking river and the water quality has (or at least had) improved massively in recent decades. I don't there's any sewage discharge into it these days and not much industrial waste either. All sorts of fish and aquatic life had started to thrive on it again.

I fish near Walkerburn from time to time with an old friend and some of the much older locals remember in their youth when they say you could almost walk over the mill lade on the backs of the salmon. Must have been a hell of a sight.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    I go away for a week's fishing every summer with the guys I grew up with here in Edinburgh. Met in our teens kicking a ball about the park every night of the week and we are still all very close 40 years later.

One of us lives near London now with a big house so we all go stay with him and his family and fish from dawn until dusk every day for five days. Take the fishing seriously during the day and then drink and yak away at night telling our old war stories. Easily the most therapeutic thing I do all year.

I don't have a brother, but in a way I have six brothers.

I go away for a week's fishing every summer with the guys I grew up with here in Edinburgh. Met in our teens kicking a ball about the park every night of the week and we are still all very close 40 years later.

One of us lives near London now with a big house so we all go stay with him and his family and fish from dawn until dusk every day for five days. Take the fishing seriously during the day and then drink and yak away at night telling our old war stories. Easily the most therapeutic thing I do all year.

I don't have a brother, but in a way I have six brothers.
    That sounds exactly the same as my old man's trips to Rutland.

Who was that and can you remember where he took you fishing? If it was coarse then depending on how you are fishing it can be a bit monotonous if they're not biting.
    Down the Slope, aka slopey. A regular poster who hasnt been on in years. It was a stocked loch i think near Gifford as far as i remember. Not much help.

@hibs.net private member
    Down the Slope, aka slopey. A regular poster who hasnt been on in years. It was a stocked loch i think near Gifford as far as i remember. Not much help.
    Is his name Ricky ? I remember my Brother In Laws mate said he posted on here a few years ago and that username is familiar, although Im not sure if Ricky fished

Edit - My bro in law thinks his username was Doon the slope
    Last edited by Bridge hibs; 16-03-2024 at 07:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Tweedale fishery probably. Decent fishery but always freezing cold

I fish the Clyde around Lamington/biggar area down to the boat bridge at Thankerton a lot. I usually get a United Clyde permit also and try various spots down that stretch. Also fish the Tweed around Innerleithen.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I've tried numerous times to learn fly fishing, just can't get it at all so always end up back on the bait, will be heading out again soon, I like a day out on a Loch but prefer the fisheries

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Is his name Ricky ? I remember my Brother In Laws mate said he posted on here a few years ago and that username is familiar, although Im not sure if Ricky fished

Edit - My bro in law thinks his username was Doon the slope
    Nope, Ricky not his name (i suspect there have been a fair few variations of that down the slope user name over the years!)