hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stokes (Merged)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i know for a fact that they are after him, hopefully hibs have/will tell them where to go
    i think if they bid anywhere near a million Rod will take it for a player we got for nowt ( i think)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    £2m up front and they can have him IMO.

Hughes will have replacements lined up and it might give Hughes the ability to offer Riordan the contract he wants/deserves.

How long does he have left on his contract?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    How long does he have left on his contract?
    he signed a 3yr deal on the 21st Aug last year.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    £2m up front and they can have him IMO.

Hughes will have replacements lined up and it might give Hughes the ability to offer Riordan the contract he wants/deserves.
    I'd hate to see him leave, but if that was the deal I'd take it.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    Depend on your definition of awkward McH. If by being awkward Rod is not going to allow the club to be bent over and royally rogered roughly from behind then I for one say go on Rod.
    Aye, i meant awkward in the sense of getting us a good deal, but knowing the class of the west coasters they would drag it out to the last minute to limit our options.

I'm all for Rod being awkward btw, especially with that lot! Just imagine him Jerry Maguire style " show me the money, SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    The way football is these days it wouldn't be the end of the world on Tuesday if a player was sold just before the deadline.

There are that many free agents that there will always be someone that HIbs can sign.

Liam Miller last season and Deneboom and Biscan are free agents now so they may well still be on September 1st.

Plus a lot of players and clubs negotiate pay offs on August 31st so those players also become free agents.
    That's true; but it's a risky strategy to pursue, isn't it. You would have to be following the progress of five or six players for any one position due to the fact that a number will get tied up on contracts as the transfer deadline approaches.

And you don't want to be left with just the flotsam and jetsam of the transfer market. You're not always going to pick up players of the calibre of Miller after the window has closed.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    That's true; but it's a risky strategy to pursue, isn't it. You would have to be following the progress of five or six players for any one position due to the fact that a number will get tied up on contracts as the transfer deadline approaches.

And you don't want to be left with just the flotsam and jetsam of the transfer market. You're not always going to pick up players of the calibre of Miller after the window has closed.
    Agreed but a players wage demands could well drop overnight from August 31st to September 1st and we all know Rodders does like to drive a hard bargain.

A few years ago I would have said it was a real risky strategy but although it is still risky now it isn't as much of a gamble.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    And there is always Alan Gow.
    I was going to cite that as an example but couldn't take the flak this afternoon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Parkhead is east of me........

£3m for Stokes. ER is no longer a place to pick up a bargain.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Parkhead is east of me........

And me, but i can smell it more than you can.
    Last edited by hibee_nation; 25-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Coaching Staff
    I can see both Gow and Denneboom coming to the club with perhaps big Sol the man to ease the financial burden. I also think one of our keepers will be away on a free. Would make sense to hold on the AS at the very least til the January window. That way we can still maximise profit on him when clubs down south and abroad are in a position to see what they need and what striking options are there to improve their chances of survival etc. If he keeps scoring goals in the SPL I think he will move in January to be honest but not before then.

I'm surprised that folk seem so keen to sell a 20+ goals a season striker. I keep hearing that Riordan is irreplaceable because he guarantees 15+ goals a season so what does that make Stokes?

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'm surprised that folk seem so keen to sell a 20+ goals a season striker. I keep hearing that Riordan is irreplaceable because he guarantees 15+ goals a season so what does that make Stokes?
    Inevitable.............unfortunately!

We support a club that sells its best players! So we can:

a) accept the inevitable
    b) just get on with it
    c) become depressed
    d) all hail the tasche
    e) refuse to go back
    f) show dissent and protest
    g) take the money and continue to build the infrastructure or service the debt.

And that's our lot as Hibees......
    Last edited by MrSmith; 25-08-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    Well if he goes anywhere I'd expect it to be for a ransom. I would also expect Hibs to heavily invest those funds towards additional team members.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Inevitable.............unfortunately!

We support a club that sells its best players! So we can:

a) accept the inevitable
    b) just get on with it
    c) become depressed
    d) all hail the tasche
    e) refuse to go back
    f) show dissent and protest
    g) take the money and continue to build the infrastructure or service the debt.

And that's our lot as Hibees......
    I agree. Just pointing out the inconsistency between folk being quite happy to sell 20+ goals a season but wailing and hollering if it's suggested that 15+ goals a season is sold.

If we do sell though, I expect some significant reinvestment in the playing squad. I've become fed up listening for countless years about how we will start spending some of the transfer fees taken in once we have completed the stadium/training facility or serviced the debt.

If Celtic want Stokes why wait until now before making a move?

Why hang on till the season is three matches old and Stokes is cup tied for the EUROPA League? It leaves no time to get a new player through pre-season training etc.

It also makes no sense to Hibs to have to scrat around for a replacement from the out of contract players and then face the problem of the four to six week required to get the newcomer full match fit.

If there was going to be a move then surely the papers would be full of it now. Recall the fuss before Thomson and Whitaker went to Rangers, plus Brown to Celtic. Moves from Hibs to the OF are never shrouded in secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    If Celtic want Stokes why wait until now before making a move?

Why hang on till the season is three matches old and Stokes is cup tied for the EUROPA League? It leaves no time to get a new player through pre-season training etc.

It also makes no sense to Hibs to have to scrat around for a replacement from the out of contract players and then face the problem of the four to six week required to get the newcomer full match fit.

If there was going to be a move then surely the papers would be full of it now. Recall the fuss before Thomson and Whitaker went to Rangers, plus Brown to Celtic. Moves from Hibs to the OF are never shrouded in secrecy.
    Could be playing the cynical long game. Couple of derogatory bids which they know will be knocked back, fills the laddies head with thoughts of riches, and they hope to come back in the summer and pick up the "unsettled" player on the cheap.

Mind you, didnae quite work out that way when they tried it wi Fletcher

Has any thought that stokes may want to go and its hibs who have said no to the smellies cos there not offering enough!
    Abit of brinkmsnship going on between hibs,stokes and smellies. And rod will blink last to screw the smellies and stokes;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    £3m for Stokes. ER is no longer a place to pick up a bargain.
    we'll be lucky, i'm hearing £1.2mil! hope to whoever lives above its total bollox! if he leaves what are we gonna do? nish and deeks our only strikers with byrne the one back-up, we should NOT sell under any circumstances

We've got 2 years, stop panicking. He'll be sold next summer, I doubt to the Celts. 3 million is defo possible depending on this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post
    We've got 2 years, stop panicking. He'll be sold next summer, I doubt to the Celts. 3 million is defo possible depending on this season.
    hope you're right but what i've been told is that he's causing problems and they want rid of him soon as nothing seems to indicate that on the pitch or anything and it seems bizzare to me, also my source is a long winded game of chinese whispers so hoping its p1sh

5 million. Make dem weedgies sweat dat ****.

Can't and don't want to see him go anywhere.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    £2m

Well I continue to scour the BBC Scottish Football Gossip pages and can find no mention of any Celtic interest in Stokes or any other Hibs player.

I am surprised that it has not been picked up from on here by the tabloids.

Left by mutual consent! Skanko79's Avatar
    it seems some of us are resigned to losing him already because some pleb has bugger all more to do with his time than sit and make up fantasy football rumours.

stokes is going nowhere.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    5 million. Make dem weedgies sweat dat ****.
    Yip. If he goes to Celtic and score thirty goals, which he will, then they will be telling everyone what a bargain they got and trying to flog him for £9m+. Remember they told spurs that for Broony.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    we'll be lucky, i'm hearing £1.2mil! hope to whoever lives above its total bollox! if he leaves what are we gonna do? nish and deeks our only strikers with byrne the one back-up, we should NOT sell under any circumstances
    No need to get too angry about something that hasn't happened and at this stage doesn't look likely to happen either.

Hibs can hold out for asmuch as they like. Rod isn't to be messed with, if a fax with an offer of £1.2m came through his fax machine he'd use it to wipe his tears of laughter away.

Isn't going to happen, not at that price anyway.