hibs.net Messageboard

Manny v Money is on (maybe, but probably not!)

All seems to have gone quiet on this lately so here is an update on the long running will they, wont they? Manny Pacquaio v Floyd Mayweather fight for anyone still interested.

Manny had signed up to fight Antonio Margarito. The hope was the fight would take place in either California or Texas, Margarito was last week refused a license to box in California due to the loaded hand wraps scandal. He is not overly hopeful of getting a license in any other US State, the back up plan is to hold the fight in Monterrey, Mexico. Apparently Pacquaio is not particularly keen on the idea of fighting in Mexico.

Mayweather on the other hand had stated he would not fight again until his Uncle Roger, his head trainer, had appeared in court charged with assault. He had said he was unwilling to prepare for the biggest fight of his career without his trainer 100% focussed.

Another key stumbling block was Pacquiaos refusal to work with Golden Boy promotions. Mannys promoter Bob Arum has long disliked working with De La Hoya and Golden Boy and is unwilling to pay them a fee to promote the fight. Mayweather promotes most of his fights under his Mayweather Promotions banner but usually in conjunction with Golden Boy. There is a strong rumour going around that Mayweather has signed a 4 fight deal worth $100 000 000 with Don King. King and Arum have a notorious love/hate relationship but have co-promoted some notable fights including the 'thrilla in Manilla'.

Mayweathe rhas long harboured a desire to return to the super welter/light middle weight division, he went up in weight to beat De La Hoya for the WBC version of the title(a fact often ignored by the critics who accuse Mayweather of only fighting smaller opponents). Pacquaio had signed to fight Margarito at this weight so should that fall through there is now genuine hope a deal can be done to make the fight either at welterweight or the higher weight class.

So where does this leave the fight?
    If the rumours about King and Mayweather are true(and judging by the pictures of them together on facebook and twitter they may well be) we have 2 promoters willing to work together.

Pacquiao is still demanding a higher share of the purse, 60/40 is the rumour. Mayweather is unlikely to agree to this so either Manny backs don to a 50/50 split or this is a stumbling block.

Roger Mayweather is still to appear in court but given the recent reconciliation between Floyd and Floyd Sr there is perhaps hope Mayweather will agree to fight with his Dad and Uncle sharing the training duties.

Pacquiao has stated he only wants 1 more fight before focussing on politics. Whether Mayweather is too big a lure and can tempt him into the ring is possible. Unless pacquiao wishes to finish with a win against a ring rusty Margarito. Manny isn't a coward though and is likely to fight Mayweather if a deeal can be struck.

A deal is still a long, long way off but there seems to be something resembling progress.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All seems to have gone quiet on this lately so here is an update on the long running will they, wont they? Manny Pacquaio v Floyd Mayweather fight for anyone still interested.

Manny had signed up to fight Antonio Margarito. The hope was the fight would take place in either California or Texas, Margarito was last week refused a license to box in California due to the loaded hand wraps scandal. He is not overly hopeful of getting a license in any other US State, the back up plan is to hold the fight in Monterrey, Mexico. Apparently Pacquaio is not particularly keen on the idea of fighting in Mexico.

Mayweather on the other hand had stated he would not fight again until his Uncle Roger, his head trainer, had appeared in court charged with assault. He had said he was unwilling to prepare for the biggest fight of his career without his trainer 100% focussed.

Another key stumbling block was Pacquiaos refusal to work with Golden Boy promotions. Mannys promoter Bob Arum has long disliked working with De La Hoya and Golden Boy and is unwilling to pay them a fee to promote the fight. Mayweather promotes most of his fights under his Mayweather Promotions banner but usually in conjunction with Golden Boy. There is a strong rumour going around that Mayweather has signed a 4 fight deal worth $100 000 000 with Don King. King and Arum have a notorious love/hate relationship but have co-promoted some notable fights including the 'thrilla in Manilla'.

Mayweathe rhas long harboured a desire to return to the super welter/light middle weight division, he went up in weight to beat De La Hoya for the WBC version of the title(a fact often ignored by the critics who accuse Mayweather of only fighting smaller opponents). Pacquaio had signed to fight Margarito at this weight so should that fall through there is now genuine hope a deal can be done to make the fight either at welterweight or the higher weight class.

So where does this leave the fight?
    If the rumours about King and Mayweather are true(and judging by the pictures of them together on facebook and twitter they may well be) we have 2 promoters willing to work together.

Pacquiao is still demanding a higher share of the purse, 60/40 is the rumour. Mayweather is unlikely to agree to this so either Manny backs don to a 50/50 split or this is a stumbling block.

Roger Mayweather is still to appear in court but given the recent reconciliation between Floyd and Floyd Sr there is perhaps hope Mayweather will agree to fight with his Dad and Uncle sharing the training duties.

Pacquiao has stated he only wants 1 more fight before focussing on politics. Whether Mayweather is too big a lure and can tempt him into the ring is possible. Unless pacquiao wishes to finish with a win against a ring rusty Margarito. Manny isn't a coward though and is likely to fight Mayweather if a deeal can be struck.

A deal is still a long, long way off but there seems to be something resembling progress.
    Been looking forward to this fight for ages, but I'm seriously starting not to care, due to all the sordid machinations that are destroying the sport, which this would-be contest exemplifies. No wonder UFC is running rings around boxing. Unless it puts it's house in order, with one powerful governing body having control over the promotion of the sport, I think the pro game will just continue building on its joke status.

I'd rather go along and watch an amateur card these days tbh.

Left by mutual consent!
    IMO if PBF doesn't fight Pacquaio then his unbeaten record means nothing.

He is undoubtedly the best counter attacking boxer I've ever seen. Without seeing him against Manny's all out attack it means nothing and he's a coward. He knows that there's a chance he could lose his unbeaten record.

What's the deal with the drug tests?

Both fighters should adhere to the boxing laws and not make up their own laws to suit their own agendas.

Get in the ring ya pair of pricks as it'll probably be the biggest fight I'll ever see. If not, **** Manny and **** Mayweather.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    What's the deal with the drug tests?

there seems be be alot of to and forth with regarding this .From what i understand(if im wrong please feel free to point it out to me) the drug tests are the only thing stoppping this fight.
    From what i understand most states in the u.s have there drug testing policies.e.g las vegas has there's, new york has theres.though i dont understand what they invovle ,they could be the same for all i know.

What i think the problem from manny's camp is,say they are gonna fight in vegas, mannys camp will go alone with whatever the vegas boxing drug policy is in that state are.
    Now Floyd (or his people/camp)wants to do the drug testing HIS way.

From what i ve read Manny doesn't lie needles too much, he feels that withdrawning blood x amount of time before a fight will drain him, though he and his camp have said that they dont mind doing uruine tests or whatever.

Though i dont recall any of mannys ex fights being this hard to deal with regarding drug testing,

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    there seems be be alot of to and forth with regarding this .From what i understand(if im wrong please feel free to point it out to me) the drug tests are the only thing stoppping this fight.
    From what i understand most states in the u.s have there drug testing policies.e.g las vegas has there's, new york has theres.though i dont understand what they invovle ,they could be the same for all i know.

What i think the problem from manny's camp is,say they are gonna fight in vegas, mannys camp will go alone with whatever the vegas boxing drug policy is in that state are.
    Now Floyd (or his people/camp)wants to do the drug testing HIS way.

From what i ve read Manny doesn't lie needles too much, he feels that withdrawning blood x amount of time before a fight will drain him, though he and his camp have said that they dont mind doing uruine tests or whatever.

Though i dont recall any of mannys ex fights being this hard to deal with regarding drug testing,
    The original fight plan indeed fell through due to drug testing issues. The testing in boxing is far more lenient than pretty much any other major sport.

Originally the fight didn't happen as Mayweather wanted testing up until the day efore the fight whilst Pacquiao wasn't happy with this due to his alleged needle phobia. A compromise agreement of 14 days prior to the fight was agreed, the same deal Maywether and Mosley agreed on.

What appears to be stopping the fight now is Pacquiaos issues with Golden Boy Promotions which are long running but as i said previously may not be an issue if the rumours of Floyd signing to Don King are true. Also Mayweather has categorically stated he will not fight or agree to fight until Roger Mayweathers court case is heard and resolved. He also won't fight for anything less than a 50/50 split in revenue, Pacquiao is once again demanding 6040 in his favour, as he originally did against Hatton when that fight fell through, it was eventually resolved that time at 52/58 in Pacquiaos favour and hopefully Manny will see sense again. It also appears that Margarito and Manny will fight in Dallas later this so a deal to fight is unlikely anytime soon.

Frankly the whole thing is pathetic and both fighters need to take control of their respective camps and egos and agree a deal for the good of the fight.

Thanx for clearing that up pretty boy.
    Its a shame as i think it ll be a mega good fight.Its one of these fights i think will be a let down or a brill fight and i think it ll be brill.

I wonder why its so hard to get these fights going.pac vs floyd, haye vs one of the brothers etc.As you said ego's play a part.

it should be ok folks 50/50 split on x date get it on,

http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/10/floyd-...grand-larceny/

Mayweather arrested, facing upto 5 years if found guilty of theft and may also have a domestic violence charge to deal with.

Anything to avoid Pacman eh

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli_619 View Post
    http://www.tmz.com/2010/09/10/floyd-...grand-larceny/

Mayweather arrested, facing upto 5 years if found guilty of theft and may also have a domestic violence charge to deal with.

Anything to avoid Pacman eh
    I wonder if he asked his burd to take a drug test before giving her a right cross.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/oth...enn-story.html