hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Now *that's* what you call a planning application: Aberdeen Arena

21,000 capacity scheduled to open 2013.

Flythrough video here http://www.afc.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10284,00.html or pictures here:

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    This superground's been scheduled for years, albeit without this location. How are they planning to pay for it? Even with the sale of Pittodrie they'll fall well short and Milne doesn't seem to be putting a penny into them.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This superground's been scheduled for years, albeit without this location. How are they planning to pay for it? Even with the sale of Pittodrie they'll fall well short and Milne doesn't seem to be putting a penny into them.
    Well Plan A was to call it a Community Stadium and get the council to pay.
    Plan B is............erm............nope, I haven't heard a word. Nice plans in a 'here's what you could have won' kind of style though..
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Kind of though that, I always thought the Dick Donald stand does that a bit. It's the one proper, big Ibrox-esque stand reminding them of what they might have achieved if the success hadn't run out :) I'm also clueless as to why they seem to think they HAVE to move from Pittodrie when the existing ground is the same size and the one they want to move into (in the middle of nowhere) and can't afford.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    TBf if they ever build it will be a great stadium. Still won't come close to tynie, but at least there trying

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Upon closer inspection ...

Middle of nowhere .. one road in .. one road out .. 2,000 car spaces maximum .. that'll be fun on match days.

But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

........... but it is mega. Very 21st century if it comes of for them. Good luck ti them.

More likely than a tyny rebuild, ............ If the Dons got this.. I wouldnt be surprised if the yams burn the auld stand down for the insurance money.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Kind of though that, I always thought the Dick Donald stand does that a bit. It's the one proper, big Ibrox-esque stand reminding them of what they might have achieved if the success hadn't run out :) I'm also clueless as to why they seem to think they HAVE to move from Pittodrie when the existing ground is the same size and the one they want to move into (in the middle of nowhere) and can't afford.
    Apparently if they redevelop Pittodrie to current regulations it would take five years to do (with reduced crowds obviously), cost minimum 30 million and leave them with a capacity of 12,000. This would also leave them with a debt that they'd be unable to service never mind pay off.

Selling Pittodrie will, apparently, give them with enough capital after the land purchase to pay for at least part of the new stadium.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Selling Pittodrie will, apparently, give them with enough capital after the land purchase to pay for at least part of the new stadium.
    This part ...

But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    This part ...

Apparently if they redevelop Pittodrie to current regulations it would take five years to do (with reduced crowds obviously), cost minimum 30 million and leave them with a capacity of 12,000. This would also leave them with a debt that they'd be unable to service never mind pay off.

This could finish the Dons off. They will be lucky to get 6 or 7k out there. The Aberdeen fans dont want it, there will be no pubs or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    This could finish the Dons off. They will be lucky to get 6 or 7k out there. The Aberdeen fans dont want it, there will be no pubs or nothing.
    Maybe they should build a massive pub there too.

Can't the club run a shuttle bus service on matchdays?

Redevelopment of Pittodrie seems to be a catch-22 situation so this is their only option. That's what the cub says anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Credit to Aberdeen for this kind and audacious plan, my only criticism would be that this airport terminal building is several miles from the runway. It would take some time for passengers to actually get from the plane into the airport itself.

If I were 'Aberdeen' and I wanted to make a gesture to the city, I would consider something else. Perhaps a visitor centre or further development of the dock/port.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Well Plan A was to call it a Community Stadium and get the council to pay.
    Plan B is............erm............nope, I haven't heard a word. Nice plans in a 'here's what you could have won' kind of style though..
    Aberdeen council are even more skint than AFC

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Credit to Aberdeen for this kind and audacious plan, my only criticism would be that this airport terminal building is several miles from the runway. It would take some time for passengers to actually get from the plane into the airport itself.

If I were 'Aberdeen' and I wanted to make a gesture to the city, I would consider something else. Perhaps a visitor centre or further development of the dock/port.
    It's for seaplanes landing on the loch

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    I would associate seaplanes with, like, the Florida Everglades. Slight difference from Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Aberdeen council are even more skint than AFC

You spotted the wee flaw then.

Wait until the fishermen and environmentalists start picking their plans to bridge the Loch apart. I do hope it doesn't drag on to long in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    You spotted the wee flaw then.
    Fancy buying some trams ..?...

They did a fly-through thingy when they planned our new school. It looked great.
    Then we moved in last summer....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    They did a fly-through thingy when they planned our new school. It looked great.
    Then we moved in last summer....
    Aye that's because they don't show the wee neds chewin'gumming the tables and chairs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevitt View Post
    Aye that's because they don't show the wee neds chewin'gumming the tables and chairs though.
    That, and the fan in the recording studio

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    That, and the fan in the recording studio
    Diamond buckles too tight?

Quote Originally Posted by ****gy View Post
    ........... but it is mega. Very 21st century if it comes of for them. Good luck ti them.
    21st century....in that location?! More like some hideous 1980s throw back to the un sustainable years. Do they not know that we will not be driving cars by the middle/ end of the century?! What sense of place does the middle of nowhere have?

Quote Originally Posted by random sub View Post
    21st century....in that location?! More like some hideous 1980s throw back to the un sustainable years. Do they not know that we will not be driving cars by the middle/ end of the century?! What sense of place does the middle of nowhere have?
    If population keeps increasing it may well be in middle of a city by then.
    Last edited by sahib; 15-08-2010 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Am I the only person who sees no real benefit whatsoever in Aberdeen leaving Pittodrie?

Granted, it's a *****hole. But the money they would receive from the sale of Pittodrie wouldn't pay for this new stadium and they're already in huge debt. And seemingly the Cooncil won't help fund it as they're skint too.

Those fickle Aberdonians are hard enough to please as it is and the vast majority of them seem totally against the proposed move. The stadium will have a similar capacity to Pittodrie and they seldom sell that out. It's unlikely they'll gain any extra fans with the move either.

So I see plenty of cons with this move, any pro's..........?

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Am I the only person who sees no real benefit whatsoever in Aberdeen leaving Pittodrie?

Granted, it's a *****hole. But the money they would receive from the sale of Pittodrie wouldn't pay for this new stadium and they're already in huge debt. And seemingly the Cooncil won't help fund it as they're skint too.

Those fickle Aberdonians are hard enough to please as it is and the vast majority of them seem totally against the proposed move. The stadium will have a similar capacity to Pittodrie and they seldom sell that out. It's unlikely they'll gain any extra fans with the move either.

So I see plenty of cons with this move, any pro's..........?
    Isn't it to do with the fact that Pittodrie is falling down and to renovate the place would not be viable. The impression I got was that this was their only option.

As far as I understand it they are confident that the money is in place - source: MD of one of their larger match day sponsors. He did not say just where the cash is coming from and unless one of the two multi millionaires on the board is going to be very generous I have no idea.
    They are £9m in debt just now and the sale of Pittodrie won't clear that plus give them the bones of the £30m needed for the new stadium.

I've yet to talk with any Dons fan who is enthusiastic about moving so far out of town.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Left by mutual consent! Skanko79's Avatar
    My brother in law was speaking to one of the guys who runs the Aberdeen sopporters association at the scotland game in sweden last week and he says he has heard donald trump has offered financial support to this.

Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    As far as I understand it they are confident that the money is in place - source: MD of one of their larger match day sponsors. He did not say just where the cash is coming from and unless one of the two multi millionaires on the board is going to be very generous I have no idea.
    They are £9m in debt just now and the sale of Pittodrie won't clear that plus give them the bones of the £30m needed for the new stadium.

I've yet to talk with any Dons fan who is enthusiastic about moving so far out of town.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    There is not a hope of the thing stacking up financially.

The master plan was always to 'persuade' the local authority to build a new 'community stadium' so that the sale of the site at Pittordrie could be used to clear the debts. That may have worked had Scotland been awarded Euro 2012 and if the public sector was still awash with cash.

All local authorities in Scotland are strapped for cash and none more so than Aberdeen. They were even in financial trouble before the cuts started to hit.

I suspect that the application has gone in more in hope than expectation and I will be very surprised if anything comes of it.

Staying at Pittordrie beyond the medium term is not an option for Aberdeen. The site is hemmed in by roads so it could never be redeveloped in the way that has happened to Easter Road. The main stand is as bad safety certificate wise as that at Tynecastle.

Aberdeen may have to sit tight until local authority finances permit the construction of an community stadium.