hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bevvy.

Bevvy.

Why do we do it? Most Saturday and Sunday mornings I wake up 'never drinking that much again' 'thats me off the bevvy' etc etc.

Yesterday I took a ton out on Junction Street. I went straight to the pub, then straight to Easter Road then back to the pub. I woke up this morning with about 8 quid in smash. So i've spent £92 and the only thing I have to show for it is a dodgy belly and a banging headache. This time, i'm defo off the drink

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I've never understood why folk do it either.

I have perfectly great times without drinking whilst out
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Sounds extremely familiar. I cant actually remember the last time I went to the pub and never got pissed...is it the British mentality? (majority)
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

The worst thing about a hangover is that you've only got yourself to blame!!!

I've been getting a lot better - i.e. just having a few at a reasonable pace whilst watching a football match with mates, like I'll be doing this afternoon.

Back in the glory days of my early years at Uni, and my ERASMUS year in Lyon, an outside observer might have been well within his/her rights to believe I had a bit of a bevy problem

Just little things, like making your 1st and last drink a soft drink can make a difference, but the notion of going to a pub and not having primarily pints is very weird to me.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do we do it? Most Saturday and Sunday mornings I wake up 'never drinking that much again' 'thats me off the bevvy' etc etc.

Yesterday I took a ton out on Junction Street. I went straight to the pub, then straight to Easter Road then back to the pub. I woke up this morning with about 8 quid in smash. So i've spent £92 and the only thing I have to show for it is a dodgy belly and a banging headache. This time, i'm defo off the drink

Sounds like open wallet surgery to me or maybe the mrs has dipped your pocket when lying in a drunken slumber

Promising Youngster Biff Tannen's Avatar

I know, thats me just finished 3 nights on the bevy....Friday i went for a few but ended up melted, sat i had to go to a 50th...6am finish and last night i went to see Foals in Glasgow, another 6am finish.....no drinkin again!! To old for that cairy on.....there seems to be an avent you have to go to every week so its almost impossible to no drink...goin alon when everyone else is pished is a nightmare....you see how nippy folk are when yer sober, but if yer drunk ye dinnae seem to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    I've never understood why folk do it either.

I have perfectly great times without drinking whilst out
    Boring Bassa

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I didn't think I would be alone in basically dying today.

Yesterday was my pals 20th birthday so we were well up for a bevvy. Left my house yesterday afternoon and I arrived in the boozer just in time for the Chelsea game and I returned just before 5 this morning.

I'm 90 quid lighter and I have NEVER had a hangover like this. I was absolutely ****ed. Never again.

Still, least I got a ride

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    I didn't think I would be alone in basically dying today.

Yesterday was my pals 20th birthday so we were well up for a bevvy. Left my house yesterday afternoon and I arrived in the boozer just in time for the Chelsea game and I returned just before 5 this morning.

I'm 90 quid lighter and I have NEVER had a hangover like this. I was absolutely ****ed. Never again.

Sare arse still aye

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    Sare arse still aye
    You'd need to ask her

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Shows are a bit early this year are they no?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I can get away with drinking a fair bit and not being hungover the next day required that i drink pint after pint of water when i'm back home, although i rarely do it it seems to do the trick.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    i hardly ever drink but had a race night last week at work, man did i suffer that night, threw up at least 9 times coming home then fell asleep in the bathroom for about 5 hours. The wife said she came to check on me and i had my head down the loo but was out cold. Next day the wee boy was jumping all over me much to my wifes delight.

Left by mutual consent!
    Every Monday/Tuesday when I'm feeling better from the weekend sessions I tell myself that it's over, I'm not drinking and going to do something constructive with my weekends and money yet when it hits that Friday afternoon the following week I'm ****ed.

It's like the pub has some kind of magnet that just draws me there, if one of my mates asks me to go out I literally cannot say no.

I went out on Saturday afternoon, stayed up for the Mayweather fight, got about 3 hours kip and then went to the boozer again for 11:45 and was out til 23:30ish on Sunday night.

The other week my mates were in a boozer (that I don't have many friends in...) so I stayed in. On their way back the phoned me at 1am and I went out with a litre of vodka to a mates party. We got home at 5pm the following afternoon and had made two other trips to the shops for drink, one of them at 8am (and yes, we know that's illegal!).

So this Saturday we've decided to go to Glentress cycling and stay in on Friday. We tried this three weekends ago and we still went out. I don't think we'll make that mistake again!

Don't mind staying in Friday/Sunday but just can't not go out on a Saturday for some reason.

Am also staying off the drink for a while. I was reaking on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I have spent around £200 with nothing to show for it. My only problem is, what else is there to do on a Saturday night?. I cant just sit in the house whatching X Factor on Saturday night TV, that would really depress me. I think I need a hobby. Anyone got ideas what to do that does not involve Football and Booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    Every Monday/Tuesday when I'm feeling better from the weekend sessions I tell myself that it's over, I'm not drinking and going to do something constructive with my weekends and money yet when it hits that Friday afternoon the following week I'm ****ed.

It's like the pub has some kind of magnet that just draws me there, if one of my mates asks me to go out I literally cannot say no.

I went out on Saturday afternoon, stayed up for the Mayweather fight, got about 3 hours kip and then went to the boozer again for 11:45 and was out til 23:30ish on Sunday night.

The other week my mates were in a boozer (that I don't have many friends in...) so I stayed in. On their way back the phoned me at 1am and I went out with a litre of vodka to a mates party. We got home at 5pm the following afternoon and had made two other trips to the shops for drink, one of them at 8am (and yes, we know that's illegal!).

So this Saturday we've decided to go to Glentress cycling and stay in on Friday. We tried this three weekends ago and we still went out. I don't think we'll make that mistake again!
    Your weekend sounds like mine- Too much bevvy, football, fast food, birds and not nearly enough sleep?

Bloody awesome eh!

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Am also staying off the drink for a while. I was reaking on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I have spent around £200 with nothing to show for it. My only problem is, what else is there to do on a Saturday night?. I cant just sit in the house whatching X Factor on Saturday night TV, that would really depress me. I think I need a hobby. Anyone got ideas what to do that does not involve Football and Booze.
    Birds?

And no, not the type with wings and feathers...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    It's a familiar pattern and routine, one which invariably ends in self loathing, which causes one to drink more and repeat til death.

Look at guys in their 30's and 40's who look like they are in their 60's, with bloated bellies and burst blood vessels in their nose. Ask yourself if that's what you want to become.

There are a thousand things more satisfying and wholesome you can do of an evening, and if you can't think of at least one, then maybe you should have a think about where your life is going.

Just advice, not having a pop at you brother.

x

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    It's a familiar pattern and routine, one which invariably ends in self loathing, which causes one to drink more and repeat til death.

Look at guys in their 30's and 40's who look like they are in their 60's, with bloated bellies and burst blood vessels in their nose. Ask yourself if that's what you want to become.

There are a thousand things more satisfying and wholesome you can do of an evening, and if you can't think of at least one, then maybe you should have a think about where your life is going.

Just advice, not having a pop at you brother.

x
    You're trying to say there are other, equally as fun, activities to do at the weekend that don't involve women and the bevvy?!

Examples required please!

Left by mutual consent!
    You're trying to say there are other, equally as fun, activities to do at the weekend that don't involve women and the bevvy?!

Examples required please!

YouTube - Capoeira Fight

Sounds like my typical weekend of many years ago, except didn't get home that early on a Sunday. Something must change or you end up in a box or wishing you were in one. Good at the time but knocks ***k out of you eventually.

Could say much the same of Hibernian FC!

I was thinking of getting on a high horse and spouting about how I don't drink these days.

And then Hibs played Motherwell.

I'll be picking up a 24 pack tomorrow.

Left by mutual consent!
    Your weekend sounds like mine- Too much bevvy, football, fast food, birds and not nearly enough sleep?

Bloody awesome eh!
    That's the problem, I love it!

When I'm too ****ed for work on a Monday or my muscles are killing me through lack of sleep and next to nothing to eat for two days, an inability to play football cos I'm blowing out my arse, slowly getting fatter, worse hangovers as each weekend ticks by, the odd bit of bother, making an arse of yourself, being skint and borrowing to go out each weekend (monthly pay = ****), falling out with the burd 'cos you'd rather go out getting pissed with your mates than spend time with me', I really do wonder why the **** I do it, but as I say, I love it.

I have tried to stay in but it's not really possible, especially when I'm on my own.

I was in the house with the GF a few Friday's ago and my mates were phoning me to go out. She then got pissed off and said she wanted to leave because she knew I'd rather go out than stay in with her (she's right!) and then I had to pretend that I didn't and I wanted to spend time with her and stayed in and watch BGT. Gutted.

Like others, I really do not know of any other alternatives to going out to the boozer on a weekend. I've tried the pictures but that gets gash after going twice (despite really liking films). My only real interests are drinking, football and burds so...

I've tried go-karting/gigs/gym but they just turns into a big sesh immediately after. I played Saturday amatuer for a couple of years and that didn't stop me going out on a Friday.

What do non drinkers do at the weekend and what the hell do they do on the continent where drink isn't so prevalent?

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    That's the problem, I love it!

When I'm too ****ed for work on a Monday or my muscles are killing me through lack of sleep and next to nothing to eat for two days, an inability to play football cos I'm blowing out my arse, slowly getting fatter, worse hangovers as each weekend ticks by, the odd bit of bother, making an arse of yourself, being skint and borrowing to go out each weekend (monthly pay = ****), falling out with the burd 'cos you'd rather go out getting pissed with your mates than spend time with me', I really do wonder why the **** I do it, but as I say, I love it.

I have tried to stay in but it's not really possible, especially when I'm on my own.

I was in the house with the GF a few Friday's ago and my mates were phoning me to go out. She then got pissed off and said she wanted to leave because she knew I'd rather go out than stay in with her (she's right!) and then I had to pretend that I didn't and I wanted to spend time with her and stayed in and watch BGT. Gutted.

Like others, I really do not know of any other alternatives to going out to the boozer on a weekend. I've tried the pictures but that gets gash after going twice (despite really liking films). My only real interests are drinking, football and burds so...

I've tried go-karting/gigs/gym but they just turns into a big sesh immediately after. I played Saturday amatuer for a couple of years and that didn't stop me going out on a Friday.

What do non drinkers do at the weekend and what the hell do they do on the continent where drink isn't so prevalent?
    Seem to drink sensibly and dont go out to the boozer purely to get blindingly drunk...Britain is ****
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Seem to drink sensibly and dont go out to the boozer purely to get blindingly drunk...Britain is ****
    What do non drinkers do?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    What do non drinkers do?
    Wake up in the morning knowing that's the best they're going to feel all day.

First Team Breakthrough The Mook's Avatar
    I started calming right down on the bevvy when I bought my own gaff, and put it down to this:

1) being skint due to mortgage etc so cant afford 2/3 big nights oot a week
    2) living in your own gaff you dont mind staying in with a few cans/wine on a weekend cos your in your own space etc
    3) not living in a shared (usually sh*t hole) where you feel you have to go out cos you dont want to spend time in said sh*t hole and all your mates/flat mates are going out to get hammered.

Thing is once your out of the habit of getting hammered every w.end without fail you dont really miss it as long as you get a good session every now and again. or maybe Im just past it

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mook View Post
    I started calming right down on the bevvy when I bought my own gaff, and put it down to this:

1) being skint due to mortgage etc so cant afford 2/3 big nights oot a week
    2) living in your own gaff you dont mind staying in with a few cans/wine on a weekend cos your in your own space etc
    3) not living in a shared (usually sh*t hole) where you feel you have to go out cos you dont want to spend time in said sh*t hole and all your mates/flat mates are going out to get hammered.

Thing is once your out of the habit of getting hammered every w.end without fail you dont really miss it as long as you get a good session every now and again. or maybe Im just past it
    I'm the same as you but possibly gone to far the other way, I hardly to nights out any more but when I do they turn into benders 2 days solid with very little if any sleep in between. All good though!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    What do non drinkers do?
    Go out and don't drink - why is alcohol deemed a necessary pre-cursor to a good night out in this country?

I listened to so many idiots throughout high-school and undergraduate uni come in on a Monday, raving about how "they were so pished at the weekend, that they don't remember what they done" - how is that a "good" weekend?

Each to their own, but folk who drink with the intention of getting blasted are complete tools IMO - nothing wrong with social drinking amongst friends, but this whole "binge" culture is laughable.

*Not aimed at you Woody.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.