hibs.net Messageboard

David Lloyd Newhaven

Is anyone out there a member of David Lloyd Newhaven? I am currently a member with Edinburgh Leisure and use the Ainslie Park gym regularly. It is quite small though and the equipment is quite out of date. I also have problems getting on certain equipment because the gym is so small.

I went to have a look at David Lloyd this evening and the difference is quite considerable. The gym is enormous and has very up to date equipment. It also has an indoor and outdoor pool, spa, steam room and sauna. Therefore the equipment level is pretty good. It also has a nice lounge type area, restaurant and free wifi for looking up hibs.net!

I pay £42.50 a month for Ainslie Park and David Lloyd is £72.50. A £30 increase which is quite a lot. And I know most of you, me included, will say 72.50 a month for gym membership is ridiculous (which it clearly is) but the facilities do look good.

So, long story short, does anyone have a membership down there and would you recommend it despite the cost?

Thanks in advance

2. Log in to remove the advert

Re: David Lloyd Newhaven

Anyone?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Used to be a member at DL out at Corstorphine. Had a family membership which allowed my wife and I to be full members (gym/swim/club etc but no racquets) and my daughter could use the swimming. I started off on a good deal but the pricing got ridiculous. In the end, you were buying into a lifestyle, not a gym membership, so I sacked it. Now a member at Factory Gyms just off Leith St, annual membership worked out at under £20 a month. Nothing fancy, no pool/spa but as far as gyms go it has everything I need/want!

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    ive got a membership at newhaven. I had a partners member which was £61 a month but have had to change to an individual recently. I personally think the £72.50 a month is ridiculous. I'll be handing in my 3 months notice soon.

Dont get me wrong, the gym is fantastic but not for that price. The staff are not helpful either. Some of the PTs think they run the place. annoying!!!

So nah, i wouldnt bother

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by john18722 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anyone out there a member of David Lloyd Newhaven? I am currently a member with Edinburgh Leisure and use the Ainslie Park gym regularly. It is quite small though and the equipment is quite out of date. I also have problems getting on certain equipment because the gym is so small.

I went to have a look at David Lloyd this evening and the difference is quite considerable. The gym is enormous and has very up to date equipment. It also has an indoor and outdoor pool, spa, steam room and sauna. Therefore the equipment level is pretty good. It also has a nice lounge type area, restaurant and free wifi for looking up hibs.net!

I pay £42.50 a month for Ainslie Park and David Lloyd is £72.50. A £30 increase which is quite a lot. And I know most of you, me included, will say 72.50 a month for gym membership is ridiculous (which it clearly is) but the facilities do look good.

So, long story short, does anyone have a membership down there and would you recommend it despite the cost?

Thanks in advance
    I've recently joined Bannatynes out at Newcraighall. Brilliant gym, good facilities, staff are as friendly as you'll get and the PT certainly know their stuff, and classes are run as part of your membership. The cafe only serves local, healthy food, spa and beauty salon (complete with hairdresser) and there's a swimming pool with jacuzi (sp?), steam room and sauna.

It's £49.50 if you join with someone, £55 if you don't, joining fee is £10 and you get the remainder of the month you join in for free. Totally worth it, but may obviously be out of your way. Think there's a Bannatynes near Queen Street somewhere, and you can use your membership in any Bannatynes gym in Scotland.
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.

Left by mutual consent!
    Virgin Active up at Fountain Park is a good gym.

Has a pool etc and really new equipment (most of it appeared at the start of this year) and you really can't complain too much at £46 a month.

The only con that i can think of is it is a very, very busy gym.

Cheers for the advice everyone. I think I am just going to join, its in a good location for me and the facilities are exactly what I am looking for to exercise during the week but also relax at the weekend. Can you put a price on health and relaxation?!

Obviously you can and £72.50 a month is not that price but to hell with it!