hibs.net Messageboard

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Gutless and Clueless

I have had the misfortune to have witnessed some pretty poor Hibs sides in my time but never one so lacking in passion as this lot. I don`t think I have seen a Hibs side so lacking in pace either. Tactically poor and devoid of any motivation as well.
    He might have scored over 20 goals I don`t think I have seen a more unfit player than Stokes. The sight of him being outpaced by Weir , and he wasn`t the only one, makes you wonder what kind of training program these guys have.
    No matter the quality of Hibs sides in the past, you could always count on a bit of fire and agression in games against the Old Firm and Rangers in particular but todays pathetic performance gave Rangers one of their easiest games of the season.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have had the misfortune to have witnessed some pretty poor Hibs sides in my time but never one so lacking in passion as this lot. I don`t think I have seen a Hibs side so lacking in pace either. Tactically poor and devoid of any motivation as well.
    He might have scored over 20 goals I don`t think I have seen a more unfit player than Stokes. The sight of him being outpaced by Weir , and he wasn`t the only one, makes you wonder what kind of training program these guys have.
    No matter the quality of Hibs sides in the past, you could always count on a bit of fire and agression in games against the Old Firm and Rangers in particular but todays pathetic performance gave Rangers one of their easiest games of the season.

Where was the lack of effort today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Where was the lack of effort today?
    Other than Riordan and Hanlon and Nish when he came on , throughout the team. Too many players just going through the motions .

Other than Riordan and Hanlon and Nish when he came on , throughout the team. Too many players just going through the motions .
    Murray?

Wotherspoon?

Both not interested in playing for the jersey??

Thicot has been given a lot of praise. Was he just going through the motions too?

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Disagree.

I don't think I can ever say I have seen Ian Murray going through the motions.

I think Rankin worked his sox off as always, shame that he's not very good.

Also think McBride put a shift in.

Blog Entries

watching that today i was embarrassed and bored.

that product on show is not worth £400 on a season ticket and yogi has to be at fault.

mccormack, rankin, cregg, nish are just not good enough and its cringing to watch.

however the most embarassing thing on show was willie collum, he showed be demoted and never allowed to ref a big game again. blatant bias and a defo penalty for riordan.

agree stokes was poor but thank god for his 20 goals or we'd be in a relegation battle

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    watching that today i was embarrassed and bored.

that product on show is not worth £400 on a season ticket and yogi has to be at fault.

mccormack, rankin, cregg, nish are just not good enough and its cringing to watch.

however the most embarassing thing on show was willie collum, he showed be demoted and never allowed to ref a big game again. blatant bias and a defo penalty for riordan.

agree stokes was poor but thank god for his 20 goals or we'd be in a relegation battle
    Nish was good enough to score a perfectly legitimate goal, just unfortunately we had Willie of Orange as our referee!!

Tbh I thought today was same old same old. Lots of passages of short passing going nowhere with no end product.

Cregg certainly showed why he was a Falkirk sub last season, he has to go, next week is massive for Yogi IMHO, he desperately needs to convince alot of fans that he can get a team going after some shocking results/performances.

Far from perfect but far better than recently imho. We had a number of decent chances that we should have done better with. I have not seen the penalty claim or offside goal again, so can't comment but I feel we deserved a draw just like last week but silly errors are costing us dear.

I am enthused enough about next season already. Hanlon looks accomplished at centre back, Wotherspoon will be a good prospect at right midfield, we will start the season with at least two good enough quality goalkeepers, hopefully going by what Miller said in the match programme we will maybe see Taggart and one or two other young players come into the first team squad and impress, Hughes will have been able to move some players out and bring others in and our pitch should be like a bowling green suitable for passing football.

They can turn it on easily when it's a televised game against the Old Firm.

I'll get happy clapping again when they can bother to their arse in any of the other matches.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Nish was good enough to score a perfectly legitimate goal, just unfortunately we had Willie of Orange as our referee!!
    Just had a wee chuckle at that, a RE teacher at a catholic school being outed as an orangeman.. As if the RC church didn't have enough going on!

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Just had a wee chuckle at that, a RE teacher at a catholic school being outed as an orangeman.. As if the RC church didn't have enough going on!
    Please forgive my ignorance

Sadly, I`m in total and utter agreeance. Well maybe not about Stokes, I know what you mean, but you can`t really ignore those goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Feed McGraw View Post
    Sadly, I`m in total and utter agreeance. Well maybe not about Stokes, I know what you mean, but you can`t really ignore those goals.

If we fix the parts of the team that DO need fixed, Stokes will knock in 30 goals next season. There were about five players playing today who MUST GO this summer. And our playing style is just handing wins on a plate to inferior opponents. If Hughes can't see this then he should go as well.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

You watched a different game from me mate.

I thought we were ok today and with a bit of luck may have got something out of the game.

Plenty effort but lacked a cutting edge today.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

I thought we were ok today and with a bit of luck may have got something out of the game.

Funny game this football lark, how some see it one way and some see it another, i agree with you mate ok there was no cutting edge but taking out miller,zemmamma then thats what happens we did the best with what we had dont think Smith had a save to make, thought Thicot when he came on was great, Nish could have been on earlier to noise up their defence a little but we kept the ball ok. If we were 1 up and passing the ball around like that would the crowd be on their backs?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post

I must have done then. How anyone can be satisfied with that performance is beyond me. You are right though about the lack of cutting edge. Players happy to pass the ball back and forward aimlessly with only Riordan willing to try something more adventurous and Rankin persistantly passing the ball into the West Stand or the building site. Once more it was poor stuff in such an important game for the club.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Maybe its because we are so used to seeing sub-standard performances that when we string a couple of passes together we think we are playing good football.

It was an improvement but certainly wouldn't say we played particularly well, if we did we would have won.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

What game were you watching? The second half performance in particular looked more than acceptable from my seat. Riordan, Hanlon and Thicot were all pretty damned good and there didn't look to be any slackers out there.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    What game were you watching? The second half performance in particular looked more than acceptable from my seat. Riordan, Hanlon and Thicot were all pretty damned good and there didn't look to be any slackers out there.
    That's how I saw it too. Gutless and Clueless would probably be the last two words I'd use to describe today's performance.

I thought (as against Celtc last week) that we were worth a point at least this afternoon.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    I dont think effort was a problem today at all, what was a problem was movement off the ball, players dont seem to be able to run into the right areas and when they do it seems 2 or 3 players run into the same space. The biggest problem today was a lack of creativity, but I think the effort was there!

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    I dont think effort was a problem today at all, what was a problem was movement off the ball, players dont seem to be able to run into the right areas and when they do it seems 2 or 3 players run into the same space. The biggest problem today was a lack of creativity, but I think the effort was there!
    I'd agree with that, if you watched kyle and lafferty they played off each other and knew where the other one was going to be. That's not the case with our front line, to often riordan and stokes where miles apart from each other so the killer pass never worked.

Lots of effort but still we have a way to go

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    I'd agree with that, if you watched kyle and lafferty they played off each other and knew where the other one was going to be. That's not the case with our front line, to often riordan and stokes where miles apart from each other so the killer pass never worked.

Lots of effort but still we have a way to go

I think Kyle and Lafferty are too similar to play up front as a partnership. In fact are they not the same person

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    big improvement today, unlucky not to score.

First Team Breakthrough borstalboy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BigJ_86
    I think it was an improvement today mainly due to the fact that Rangers never got out of 2nd gear. I reckon if we had been able to put any pressure on Rangers, they could have easily upped it a couple of gears and more than likely beat us by more than one.

They had so much pace in there team with miller, lafferty, naismith and novo.......thats ultimately what gives you an edge in games like these. We need a couple of players with pace to pose a threat at the other end. A lot of Rangers play came from long balls and flick-on's, with there strikers or wide midfielders bursting on to the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    That's how I saw it too. Gutless and Clueless would probably be the last two words I'd use to describe today's performance.

I thought (as against Celtc last week) that we were worth a point at least this afternoon.
    Gutless, perhaps a tad too far, although the fact that - for the 643rd game in a row - or it seems like it - we rarely had a central midfielder in the centre circle for 2nd balls is worrying.

However, clueless is exactly how I'd describe the trio of McBride, Cregg and Rankin, in whose possession the ball was a lot of the time. Not clueless in the sense of being unable to control the ball and play a 5-10 yard sideways or backwards pass, but clueless to the degree that expecting anything more from them - like looking up, spreading the play quickly and accurately - was expecting too much, particularly from Cregg and Rankin.

Admittedly, creativity isn't high on any of their respective list of attributes, but I'm not talking about inch perfect reverse through balls, or "no look" chips over the back 4, just a willingness to spread the play a bit and get the point of attack shifted away from the congested minefield that is central midfield.

That was the most frustrating aspect of the game for me - seeing Murray, Riordan or Wotherspoon in yards of space, that could have been exploited by a quick switch of play, only to see the chance gone because some combination of those 3, perhaps with a CB thrown in for good measure, played "keep ball" amongst themselves for 1-2 minutes before thinking of spreading it wide. Whether it's a lack of confidence in their own ability, or more fundamentally, a lack of said ability, I don't know, but it was - and has been for a while now - infuriating to watch.