hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    I find i ttidiculous that Deeks has been fined for basically answering a question truthfully about the state of a pitch.

Were he asked abuot the state of the Motherwell pitch and answered that truthfully would he also be fined?

It is not as if what he said was outrageous. nor detrimental to teh club, but was basically his opinion - which is shared by nearly everybody on this list.

I don;t want us to revert to 'Ministry of Truth' answers during interviews, and there MUST be more going on behind the scenes for this to be taken to this level..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless of all away results what they both said is 100% true, it's like a ploughed field. The fine will be rescinded IMHO as legally he has stated a fact and not criticised any member of the staff directly. It'll be a cakewalk for Wishart.
    As you say, if true, I do not think club can impose fine for a truthful comment and think Wishart will walk over Petrie here if it comes to it.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I find i ttidiculous that Deeks has been fined for basically answering a question truthfully about the state of a pitch.

Were he asked abuot the state of the Motherwell pitch and answered that truthfully would he also be fined?

It is not as if what he said was outrageous. nor detrimental to teh club, but was basically his opinion - which is shared by nearly everybody on this list.

I don;t want us to revert to 'Ministry of Truth' answers during interviews, and there MUST be more going on behind the scenes for this to be taken to this level..
    Can only imagine that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by erskine-hibby View Post
    As far as I can see this thread was about Deek being fined for stating that the pitch was cr@p.
    You have singled him out for critisism for not trying, so it is only right that someone can counter this and mention others that this can attributed to.
    The post i was replying to stated that he was one of the fans favourites who may be sold. Perhaps the poster who replied to my post might have been better served answering the point i made about Derek Riordan as opposed to turning the tables on to other parties who have no relevance to this thread?

Of course there are other players who need to take a look at themselves as i acknowledged.

I also didn't accuse Riordan of not trying, i argued that his workrate and attitude varies depending on the mood he is in, this is a point which can be aimed at many good players at all levels.

My main point is if he was sold it wouldn't bother me as much as it would have done at the start of the season. Provided we hold on to Stokes and Galbraith is ready for more game time next season and if the transfer fee received and wages freed up allowed us to bring in a decent RB and a solid central midfielder would the Hibs team be significantly weakened by his sale? I'm not so sure it would be.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 15-04-2010 at 09:50 AM.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeebor View Post
    We would sorely miss Riordan's ability to get goals out of absolutely nothing, something he does time and time again.
    Cant disagree with that.

But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

He only has one year left on his contract

Fined for making comments about the pitch,ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret its CRAP,
    Pitch, pitch, pitch, its all aload o pitch,excuses, excuses, excuses from players and manager alike, I heard that the pitch at Hamilton was perfect compared to our tattie field, whats the excuse for being humped in the a55 by Hamilton?Hibs players are a waste of f,n space and oxygen at the moment.
    I still think hertz will finish above us aswell,we dont have the bottle or organisation to beat them.Were very lucky to have picked up points early on in the season,otherwise we could end up like Aberdeen in the bottom half.
    Last edited by Phil MaGlass; 15-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Fined for making comments about the pitch,ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret its CRAP,
    Pitch, pitch, pitch, its all aload o pitch,excuses, excuses, excuses from players and manageer alike, I heard that the pitch at Hamuilton was perfect compared to our tattie field, whats the excuse for being humped in the a55 by Hamilton?Hibs players are a waste of f,n space and oxygen at the moment.
    I still think hertz will finish above us aswell,we dont have the bottle or organisation to beat them.Were veery lucky to have picked up points early on in the season,otherwise we could end up like Aberdeen in the bottom half.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems very harsh that he is fined a weeks wages for saying the pitch was poor.

Left by mutual consent!
    it's stinks of deliberate unsettling tactics by the club.

Has someone decided they don't want him in these plans of 'where we want to go'....

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I suspect that Deek's criticism of the pitch may not have been the only reason why he was fined.

Matbe the totting up procedure also comes in to play with regard to club discipline.

Perhaps.
    I suspect so.

I'm a huge fan of Deek, but I think some people on here are too quick to criticise the club without knowing all the details.

Deek's had his wrist slapped a few times by the club and here he's had to be 'called into the office' yet again.

The fact that Benji's fine was suspended and Deek's wasn't says a lot in my opinion.

What worries me most about this is how it found it's way into the papers.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 15-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    Making comments about the pitch is hardly detrimental to the teams performance, all he has done is tell it as it is. It seems freedom of speech is not tolerated in the world of football.
    The world of anything. Or can you say anything negative about your employers? Or, if you have employees, can they say anything negative about you?

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    I was at Hamilton on saturday and me and the boy sitting behind both agreed the pitch there was in superb condition. Hibs still got pumped. Yes the pitch at ER isn't helping us in our quest for some points, but we have bigger problems at the minute. The pitch didn't seem to prevent United or Ross County outplay us in two of our biggest games of the season.
    If the pitch at Hamilton was in such good condition, then why is our pitch like a tattie field

Coaching Staff
    I don't think it was so much for confirming that the pitch was rubbish, it was more that he was being negative about the chances of winning games on it.

Hughes said that at the time, it was talking abou the club negatively in public and almost accepting or suggesting that we would not win games on it. He also seen some of the comments as a go at the staff who have worked on it.

I'd imagine the mentality he wants from his players would be to say yes, the pitch is poor but a lot pf people are working hard to rectify it and as players we can only go out and do out best we can and we will be looking to win any time we play on it.

We can't criticise the lack of passion or mental stength at the club, blame Yogi for it and then criticise him or the club for doing something about changing it.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    If the pitch at Hamilton was in such good condition, then why is our pitch like a tattie field
    It's old and it has a long standing problem that needs totally dug up to be rectified. The Hamliton one doesn't!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post

lack of the correct care due to impending building work on the stand?

Incompetence?

watering it with spriklers before the KO and at half time when teh game was surprisingly on due to crazy weather?

folk that stroll/ amble around with a pitch fork repairing a stud mark when there's giant divots lying unfurled?

....it's anyones guess.

The club confirmed at the recent fan consultation groups that there is a problem with "black layer", which is to be addressed during the close season.

http://www.gcsaa.org/gcm/2001/dec01/12blacklayer.html

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I don't think it was so much for confirming that the pitch was rubbish, it was more that he was being negative about the chances of winning games on it.

Hughes said that at the time, it was talking abou the club negatively in public and almost accepting or suggesting that we would not win games on it. He also seen some of the comments as a go at the staff who have worked on it.

I'd imagine the mentality he wants from his players would be to say yes, the pitch is poor but a lot pf people are working hard to rectify it and as players we can only go out and do out best we can and we will be looking to win any time we play on it.

We can't criticise the lack of passion or mental stength at the club, blame Yogi for it and then criticise him or the club for doing something about changing it.

The pitch IS a bog and has been for far too long. Riordan may have stepped out of line in saying so, Andy, but I'm not convinced that "a lot of people are working hard to rectify it". If they were, I'd have expected at least a marginal improvement by now.

It's not just Deek, either. Benji has said HIS piece, and been fined too. Other players at ER are supporting Deek in this - they're brassed off at the situation as much as he is.

And this isn't a situation that's just arisen this season. It would be nice to say that the state of the pitch is down to an exceptionally bad winter. If that's so what was the reason for the bad pitch LAST season? Or the season before last? Or the season before THAT one? Because we haven't had a decent playing surface at ER for at least 4 years. We criticise Motherwell for their pitch - ours is almost as bad, and nothing ever seems to be done about it.

Shooting the messenger for bringing bad news isn't the way to encourage a positive, assertive spirit of co-operation and teamwork around any workplace. And shooting the messenger is what the board appear to have done in this case, IMO.
    Last edited by --------; 15-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.

It's old and it has a long standing problem that needs totally dug up to be rectified. The Hamliton one doesn't!
    True. However, Hamilton employ a dedicated head groundsman, whos job it is to keep the turf in good condition. We got rid of our groundsman and instead we now have 'landscape consultants' to stick a fork into it occasionally at halftime on matchdays. Coincidence?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    I have actually noticed that Riordan's workrate has improved alot this season. This idea that he still doesn't help out the team is far from being true.
    I've noticed that as well - even if he still needs to work a lot on his general condition and get back that half yard of pace he lost at Celtic, he hasn't lacked for effort on match day this season.

re the pitch comments it's very strange that the club are fining him for saying something that's as obvious as the nose on your face. Maybe a point of sensitivity with the board who have presumably made a financial decision to postpone major work on the pitch until the close season

I reckon Wishart will win the appeal for him as it's surely illegal to fine someone their wages for stating the blindingly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I've noticed that as well - even if he still needs to work a lot on his general condition and get back that half yard of pace he lost at Celtic, he hasn't lacked for effort on match day this season.

re the pitch comments it's very strange that the club are fining him for saying something that's as obvious as the nose on your face. Maybe a point of sensitivity with the board who have presumably made a financial decision to postpone major work on the pitch until the close season

I reckon Wishart will win the appeal for him as it's surely illegal to fine someone their wages for stating the blindingly obvious.
    As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

I don't know what the code of conduct is within the club but regardless of who it is you either apply a code of conduct for any breach or you don't bother having one. That does not necessarily mean a fine every time but it could be an oral or written warning that then escalates up on the next misdemeanour. If the players are aware of the code of conduct then I have no sympathy for him and don't think Fraser Wishart will have the easy task of over-ruling the fine.

You can't have it both ways here. You have (quite rightly) defended Yogi for giving honest answers for questions put to him. There's no difference in this case, all Riordan said was that the pitch did not help given our style of play. How do we know he didn't also say "but we'll do our best, it's the same for both teams" etc?

If any groundsman or employee feels belittled or insulted at these comments, they need to get a grip and so does Yogi if he thinks fining Riordan for this is a good idea. Yogi seems incapable of motivating the squad at the moment and this can't help.

NB - I'm not defending the players here, their lack of heart must have Hughes tearing out what little hair he has left.

The facts here are:

1) Our pitch IS sheite. Fact.
    2) So is a lot of the other pitches in Scotland right now.
    3) BOTH teams play on teh same sheite pitch
    4) Deek stated the truth, its NOT a good excuse for losing as the other teams play on the same pitch
    5) EQUALLY, how the **** can you be fined for stating the truth?

All pish. A total non-story of nothingness.

I am far more concerned with the fact we're shipping goals for fun, scoring **** all and our esteemed leader keeps shaking his heid and saying it needs to get better..... whilst being equally culpabale for the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

I don't know what the code of conduct is within the club but regardless of who it is you either apply a code of conduct for any breach or you don't bother having one. That does not necessarily mean a fine every time but it could be an oral or written warning that then escalates up on the next misdemeanour. If the players are aware of the code of conduct then I have no sympathy for him and don't think Fraser Wishart will have the easy task of over-ruling the fine.
    Exactly. I don't see the current Hibs board making daft mistakes like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, [B]perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

So you're saying people should not assume the fine only relates to his comments about the pitch?

And you then assume that there is more to the fine that simply these comments. Nice one.

Standing by for a facebook group to be opened in protest of Mr Riordan's fine for a truthful proclamation...

Investment in heat lamps? You see them a lot in the Premiership. I dunno how expensive they are though!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You can't have it both ways here. You have (quite rightly) defended Yogi for giving honest answers for questions put to him. There's no difference in this case, all Riordan said was that the pitch did not help given our style of play. How do we know he didn't also say "but we'll do our best, it's the same for both teams" etc?

If any groundsman or employee feels belittled or insulted at these comments, they need to get a grip and so does Yogi if he thinks fining Riordan for this is a good idea. Yogi seems incapable of motivating the squad at the moment and this can't help.

NB - I'm not defending the players here, their lack of heart must have Hughes tearing out what little hair he has left.

I don't actually think Yogi is telling the truth in public, I think he is trying to be positive and protective of his players and the club. What he says privately i expect will be a bit different but he will still be trying to be supportive and positive.

Riordan did not have to be so negative, he openly stated he expected us to lose games on the pitch.

It was defeatist and I recall thinking that at the time.

Quite rightly Yogi wants to change this attitude.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    True. However, Hamilton employ a dedicated head groundsman, whos job it is to keep the turf in good condition. We got rid of our groundsman and instead we now have 'landscape consultants' to stick a fork into it occasionally at halftime on matchdays. Coincidence?
    It was under the previous groundsman that it got ****ed up and cause the trouble we have now! The current compnay are making the best of a bad lot until the whole thing is replaced in the summer.

Coaching Staff
    Riordan's goals are of course always welcome, but his overall form this season has been very poor and he is certainly not a team player when the chips are down. Yes, he is played out of position, but his attitude sums up the general attitude of the squad at present. He won't be at Hibs next season IMO and to be brutally honest, that does not concern me in the slightest. A cracking wage is freed up for someone with more work ethic and teamwork, with a professional attitude. It's a real shame, because Derek has all the talent in his feet, just insn't prepared to fight.