hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Collins

the less salubrious bars of Leith Walk.

.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate. It's the shore now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I think the pitches are to blame for a lot of our ills. Most resemble ploughed field and dont suit our style of play. Our dip in form has coincided with the worst winter in 30 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collins wanted to make the land of Chick Charnley, Andy Ritchie, Ally McLeod and Derek Riordan into a place where everyone crossed themselves, kissed mama, and went to bed at nine o' clock every night, watching the Med sunset.

He then threw the toys out the pram because he couldn't single-handedly change centuries of a nation's culture in ten minutes.

Hughes wants to go to exactly the same destination as JC, but I think he knows its a rocky road to get to that destination and you have to box clever. I believe come summer we shall see the ruthless side of Hughes emerge and there will be a massive clear out, and many of us will get a shock as to who actually leaves.

All this 'arm round the shoulder' stuff will go. Those who underestimated Yogi as a joker, a buffoon, will get a big fright when they contemplate life at Dunfermline, Raith Rovers and Airdrie, en route for East Fife, Stirling Albion and Annan Athletic, en route for the dole and a lifetime of drunken befuddlement in the less salubrious bars of Leith Walk.

If it's them or him, and the players seem to have made it into a contest, and there will only be one winner. If they think otherwise, they are absolutely deluding themselves. John Hughes can't come out and slag them off while we're in contention for Europe - that would really be the playing to the gallery some fans wrongly accuse him of- but they will be down the road in the summer. Everything about Hughes as a player and manager has shown that underestimating him is absolute folly.

They should enjoy the George Street sessions while they last, because some of them will soon be in the Walk, boring other jakeys with 'what might have been' tales. Anybody who thinks that will also be Yogi's fate is way, way wide of the mark. Whatever he says in public, the players have let him down badly, and they will pay the price.
    I hope you are right, DBS.

Actually, I can see that the Board will want to get right behind the Manager - it's madness to assume we can have a new manager every season - and if that means laying down the law as to what the Manager (and Club) will tolerate in terms of player behaviour, then I am right behind the Club & manager.

Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    FWIW, I hate seeing Deek in midfield, because I think that he offers very little in that position other than his goals (which is quite a lot to be dismissive off, given the sheer number of them that he's scored this season).

I think having Deek at left mid upsets the balance of the team, it gives the two central midfielders too much to do, and leaves the left back with a lot to do.

That said, what's the alternative? I can understand why Yogi plays Deek there because while he's not the most effective midfielder in the world, he'll get you goals.

Yogi's alternative is to play another ineffective midfielder there and do without the goals.

Or he could give galbraith a chance and put deeks upfront and put nish on the bench

or he could shuffle the pack at the back and push Murray into left mid and push deeks upfront!

It's not difficult matty. He is wasting a midfield place and wasting a very good striker! His ignorance is staggering! He should **** off!

Quote Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
    JC walked out because he was ordered to sell ****ing millions of pounds worth of players and was not allowed to bring in a cheap replacement!

JC done more in 6 months than many managers have done in years at easter road.

Why talk about how yogi is going to change it? Fans have been highlighting his failings for months but the stubborn one chooses to do it his way. Fair enough, he is entitled to do it his way but if it goes wrong, like it has done, he has to take responsibility for his stubborness!

time for a change

Put it this way. We will have a new stand to fill. We will have targets for season ticket sales. If we are offered this dross week in week out, there will be very few renewing their tickets!

That is what will decide yogis future!

People here are naturally comparing the present manager with ones who have gone before him in a bid to determine how he has faired!
    we will see how he fairs at the end of the season not by how others have gone before him. he has different players than what collins had so you cant judge yogi to collins.
    what did collins achieve in 6mnths apart from winning the diddy cup (with mowbrays team arguably)? collins couldnt handle the heat and walked out. having to sell some players was just an excuse for why he left.

why talk about how yogi is gonna change things? because he is our current manager thats why! talking about how ex managers would have done things is pointless! if jc ways worked they would have worked when he was in charge and why isnt he managing a club now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    I think the pitches are to blame for a lot of our ills. Most resemble ploughed field and dont suit our style of play. Our dip in form has coincided with the worst winter in 30 year.
    lol lets blame the pitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    we will see how he fairs at the end of the season not by how others have gone before him. he has different players than what collins had so you cant judge yogi to collins.
    what did collins achieve in 6mnths apart from winning the diddy cup (with mowbrays team arguably)? collins couldnt handle the heat and walked out. having to sell some players was just an excuse for why he left.

why talk about how yogi is gonna change things? because he is our current manager thats why! talking about how ex managers would have done things is pointless! if jc ways worked they would have worked when he was in charge and why isnt he managing a club now?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    [/B]

Or he could give galbraith a chance and put deeks upfront and put nish on the bench

or he could shuffle the pack at the back and push Murray into left mid and push deeks upfront!

It's not difficult matty. He is wasting a midfield place and wasting a very good striker! His ignorance is staggering! He should **** off!
    Or maybe he's looked at that option and doesn't think Galbraith's ready for that just yet?

Maybe he's considered Murray at left mid, but the thought of Stevenson at left back every week gives him sleepless nights?

I think it is difficult. I think we're missing quality in maybe 4 or 5 positions which is massively hampering the team just now, and what we're seeing and have seen over the season is Yogi trying to find the most effective way of playing these guys.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    yeh bring back jc, lets get all his pals back as well the likes of obrien, donaldson, joneleit, kerr and put maka back in goals. no thanks i'll take mixu back before him.

same for both teams, hamilton was in pretty good shape today

pitches are not important to us just now. we play like hearts. total hoofball that makes your neck sore. the ball is rarely on the deck when we play
    Last edited by sixtwo; 10-04-2010 at 11:40 PM.

There's a funny spell about here.

pitches are irrellevant to us just now. we play like hearts. total hoofball that makes your neck sore. the ball is rarely on the deck when we play
    ffs i know i was having a laugh at keisers comment if you read further up the posts!

I meant to quote his post. keep it in yer pants

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Collins wanted to make the land of Chick Charnley, Andy Ritchie, Ally McLeod and Derek Riordan into a place where everyone crossed themselves, kissed mama, and went to bed at nine o' clock every night, watching the Med sunset.

He then threw the toys out the pram because he couldn't single-handedly change centuries of a nation's culture in ten minutes.

Hughes wants to go to exactly the same destination as JC, but I think he knows its a rocky road to get to that destination and you have to box clever. I believe come summer we shall see the ruthless side of Hughes emerge and there will be a massive clear out, and many of us will get a shock as to who actually leaves.

All this 'arm round the shoulder' stuff will go. Those who underestimated Yogi as a joker, a buffoon, will get a big fright when they contemplate life at Dunfermline, Raith Rovers and Airdrie, en route for East Fife, Stirling Albion and Annan Athletic, en route for the dole and a lifetime of drunken befuddlement in the less salubrious bars of Leith Walk.

If it's them or him, and the players seem to have made it into a contest, and there will only be one winner. If they think otherwise, they are absolutely deluding themselves. John Hughes can't come out and slag them off while we're in contention for Europe - that would really be the playing to the gallery some fans wrongly accuse him of- but they will be down the road in the summer. Everything about Hughes as a player and manager has shown that underestimating him is absolute folly.

They should enjoy the George Street sessions while they last, because some of them will soon be in the Walk, boring other jakeys with 'what might have been' tales. Anybody who thinks that will also be Yogi's fate is way, way wide of the mark. Whatever he says in public, the players have let him down badly, and they will pay the price.

If yogi still has the will to win he had as a player then yes, some players are in for a fright this summer. The "everybodys best pal" act is wearing a bit thin, but I think it will go once he gets a harder group of players in the squad.

@hibs.net private member
    lol

I am no John Hughes fan but he is a much, much better manager than JC. Have you all forgotten the pathetic press conference with his pal feeding him the answers from behind an apple - that was an embarrassment to the club? Collins did get the squad to pull together and show team spirit and fight; unfortunately it was all directed towards him. I could carve a better manager out of a banana.
    Last edited by sahib; 11-04-2010 at 12:00 AM.

JC walked out because he was ordered to sell ****ing millions of pounds worth of players and was not allowed to bring in a cheap replacement!

JC done more in 6 months than many managers have done in years at easter road.

Why talk about how yogi is going to change it? Fans have been highlighting his failings for months but the stubborn one chooses to do it his way. Fair enough, he is entitled to do it his way but if it goes wrong, like it has done, he has to take responsibility for his stubborness!

time for a change

Put it this way. We will have a new stand to fill. We will have targets for season ticket sales. If we are offered this dross week in week out, there will be very few renewing their tickets!

That is what will decide yogis future!

People here are naturally comparing the present manager with ones who have gone before him in a bid to determine how he has faired!
    Good to see you have mastered the use of the exclamation mark! Now try for mastery of the use of the full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    I am no John Hughes fan but he is a much, much better manager than JC. Have you all forgotten the pathetic press conference with his pal feeding him the answers from behind an apple - that was an embarrassment to the club? Collins did get the squad to pull together and show team spirit and fight; unfortunately it was all directed towards him. I could carve a better manager out of a banana.
    Sorry mate, but in all fairness thats rubbish, Collins won us our first trophy in years and gave a lot of us one of our finest days at Hampden and you focus on that daft press conference??

Yves Ma-Kalambay, Thierry Gathuessi, Mickael Antoine-Curier, Clayton Donaldson, Torben Joneleit, Alan O'Brien, need I go on? Collins was an absolute joke of a manager.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitchy View Post
    Yves Ma-Kalambay, Thierry Gathuessi, Mickael Antoine-Curier, Clayton Donaldson, Torben Joneleit, Alan O'Brien, need I go on? Collins was an absolute joke of a manager.
    Spend peanuts, you get monkeys.

Collins had the team fitter than any Hibs team I've ever seen. He had us playing football the correct way, on the deck.

His philosophies were spot on, it's our loss that he was stabbed in the back by some prima donnas who couldn't be bothered having to work hard for their wage, and a board that wouldn't release funds after selling £9m of players in one season. No other manager in recent history has lost £9m worth of players in the one season and been given buttons to replace them.

. Never herd so much crap. Take JC back? Not on your life.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    JC was pish
    Aye JC was pish right enough eh Brought us a cup, had us playing good football, players in their right positions, changed things when it wasn't going our way, used subs in the correct manner.

Maybe if our board backed him like they did Yogi eh

Quote Originally Posted by Aitchy View Post
    That the same Antoine-Curier who played against us for Hamilton yesterday?

The "joke of a manager" won us the League Cup, wish Yogi was as much of a joke...

Quote Originally Posted by SalfordHibs View Post
    Aye JC was pish right enough eh Brought us a cup, had us playing good football, players in their right positions, changed things when it wasn't going our way, used subs in the correct manner.

Maybe if our board backed him like they did Yogi eh

He also had guided us on two awful league runs from Feb-May and Oct-Dec 2007, culminating in him leaving. He might not have been given the money Hughes has been given, but he did win the Cup (and lose a lot of games) with multi-million pound players like Brown, Murphy, Whittaker, Fletcher and other good players like Jones, Zemamma, Sproule and so on.

Frankly, Collins, Hughes and Mixu have all been bad appointments, and Petrie needs to get better advice (ie not from thick Hibbies) before appointing the next guy.

Coaching Staff
    Given the way younger players responded to JC and his ideas, I've often wondered whether his strengths lie in youth development and therefore a post of Director of Youth Development would be far better suited to him.

He's obviously not able to get through to the more "mature" (for want of a better word) "professionals" (again, for want of a better word) who have long since settled into their collective comfort zones of good wage, short hours, turn-up-on-a-Saturday-for-a-gemme of fitba'-and see-how-it-goes, bookies, burdz, pints....

Quote Originally Posted by sesoim View Post
    He also had guided us on two awful league runs from Feb-May and Oct-Dec 2007, culminating in him leaving. He might not have been given the money Hughes has been given, but he did win the Cup (and lose a lot of games) with multi-million pound players like Brown, Murphy, Whittaker, Fletcher and other good players like Jones, Zemamma, Sproule and so on.

Frankly, Collins, Hughes and Mixu have all been bad appointments, and Petrie needs to get better advice (ie not from thick Hibbies) before appointing the next guy.
    Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher were all home grown talent mate, Murphy and Sproule, Benji, Zouma were brought in by Mogga aswell as Killen, Martis JC gave RP his wishlist knowing fine well what budget he had, RP knocked it back, some players went behind his back which JC wanted out of the club which again RP refused, the players he brought in was only due to the funds he got, dont get me wrong Stokes & Miller are quality but JH had a far better budget from RP than JC, MP or TM did. JC had Hibs at the highest fitness levels aswell.