hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

Hi,

Since I moved out in September I've been putting my 5p's and shrapnel in my top shelf for a rainy day. I'm now absolutely skint and when it occured to me to look on the shelf for the first time in months I found there must be a good 15 quids worth up there. I'm so broke I could do with the money, but obviously don't fancy buying a Big Mac with 200 2p's. So, do any of you know what places would be happy to take a *****load of small coins in exchange for notes and pound coins, there must be somewhere that needs change?

Sorry I'm aware this is the most boring thread in the history of time but if someone has an answer they'd be doing me a favour. Cheers.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Rory89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi,

Since I moved out in September I've been putting my 5p's and shrapnel in my top shelf for a rainy day. I'm now absolutely skint and when it occured to me to look on the shelf for the first time in months I found there must be a good 15 quids worth up there. I'm so broke I could do with the money, but obviously don't fancy buying a Big Mac with 200 2p's. So, do any of you know what places would be happy to take a *****load of small coins in exchange for notes and pound coins, there must be somewhere that needs change?

Sorry I'm aware this is the most boring thread in the history of time but if someone has an answer they'd be doing me a favour. Cheers.
    I think most Asda and Tesco stores have coin changers. They take a chunk in 'commission' though.

Alternatively, if you're friendly with anyone that owns a shop or pub, they might change them for you as they'll be able to pay them into the bank easier.

Hi,

All of the Tesco supermarkets in Dumfries have coin converters although as Beefster said, they take a percentage of your hard earned - would imagine that it's the same where you are.

I however grudge giving money away so tend to use the local post office. They provide the wee bags (at no cost) and should be happy enough to convert for you. You might wanty watch how much you take in though, the women that works behind the desk at the Georgetown posty looks like shes chewing on a wasp everytime I walk in - I just give her the "It's part of yer *****g job.....Get on with it" look

Sort them all out into Pound Bags you get from the bank, then go in and they will put the money into your account?

Hi,

If you sort them, then put them into small bags which u get from the bank(ie 100 5ps for £5, 100 pennies for £1) then the bank will weigh them a give you notes/£1 coins for them.

Used to work in a bank, its commission free, but you do look like a right scaff

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piemanpilley View Post
    If you sort them, then put them into small bags which u get from the bank(ie 100 5ps for £5, 100 pennies for £1) then the bank will weigh them a give you notes/£1 coins for them.

This

Cheers guys, think I'll get some of those bags from the bank and come back with my bags full of change for them.

I used to be too embarrased to be seen picking up less than 50p off the ground if I dropped it, now I'm planning on heading to the bank with my bags full of shrapnel. Tragic.

Left by mutual consent!
    I stick all of mine in an old pringles tub and end up with about £15/20 when it gets full. I stick them in the bag and get them changed when I'm skint. No shame, it's money all the same!

My gran and grandad used to do it every year and used it to pay for drinks for new year, they'd get £80/100 a year doing it.

Your own bank will do it for nowt.

I have a coin sorter, great way of saving , and take £5/600 worth of change about twice a year to the bank and get it paid into my account - free.
    Space to let

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I used to stick all my shrapnel in a big jar every night (anything lower than a £1 coin). I'd dip back into it when I need change for the bus, a paper or whatever, but every few months I'd change it for a decent wedge.

No shame in that (and it saves you knackering your pockets ).

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    This

You may find that some banks won't change it for you unless you have an account for them. And even if you have an account with them, they will want you to pay it into your account.

Bloody bankers!!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I have a big bottle with a wedge in it.

The last time i emptied it was about 7 years ago.
    Took my boy to Asda and converted the change to £77. Bought him a Ninja Turtle suit and Finding Nemo video and we went out for the day

Mon the Change

I'm looking at mine now wondering what i can spend it on
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member millarco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post

You may find that some banks won't change it for you unless you have an account for them. And even if you have an account with them, they will want you to pay it into your account.

Bloody bankers!!
    It was like that when I worked for Clydesdale Bank. You weren't supposed to sort the coin out for customers either, though I didn't have the heart to tell some folk I couldn't take their money because it wasn't in the correct bags. Can understand it may be a hassle if it isn't practical to get to your own bank, but it isn't too time consuming to simply pay it in and take it straight back out.

Haha, OK I may have misjudged this situation, there's only £5.86 in change.

Now if I felt like a tramp before, I'm really not sure if I can bring myself to walk into a bank with less than 6 quid's worth of change and ask for it to be put into my bank account, mind you I am in Glasgow which makes me feel better.

I'll not be entering any "how many sweeties in the jar" competitions any time soon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Forget how you look - it's £15 of your money, and the bank should be there to serve YOU, the customer.

If you get a funny look, say that you've been collecting it for a good cause. No lie, is it? I have a biscuit barrel I fill over months, then convert to notes (DON'T TELL SWMBO), and that's what I tell them when I take the dosh in.

Going to ER = GOOD CAUSE, right?

Erm - £6? I'd keep it for a while.

Testimonial Due
    Take your change to Morrisons, get yir messages, use the self pay and then empty your contents into the money dump.

Coinstar machines charge about 8% commision.

This, honest to god, is a true story.

A Tim Nice but Dim character I know quite well bought a coin sorter (like what I did although I have always called them change machines). He merrily chucked his change in on a regular basis and delighted in watching it churn the cash. The first time he opened it to get the money out he was surprised the change was still there. He had expected it to be ‘changed’ to notes!

Now that’s an Eton / Oxford / Sandhurst education for you!
    Space to let

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Dress like an old biddy with a zimmer frame and go to Asda on a saturday afternoon when everyone else is doing thier shopping then spend half an hour counting out the pennies onto the checkout to pay for your basket full of reduced bakery goods while telling the teenager with the stupid haircut behind the till about your terrible gout........noone will bat an eyelid