hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lol...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    I've never heard of pre-drinks before. I've heard people talking about pre-dinner drinks which I think makes perfect sense.

I used to work with a guy years ago and he had a ton of funny sayings. One of my favourites went something like this:
    Him : I hate TLAs
    Me : What's a TLA?
    Him : Three Letter Acronym

LOL

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    I hate people that don't know how to use MULTI-QUOTE on hibs.net!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pre-drinks. What a load o' pish you youngsters jabber nowadays. A night out is a night out.

Next you'll be telling me there's a new word for 'parents'.

Folk that say **** like that are welts..

FACT

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post

Folk that say **** like that are welts..

FACT
    Anybody who backs up their opinion "FACT" is not only not telling factual information, but their opinion is usually wrong as well.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory89 View Post
    Anybody who backs up their opinion "FACT" is not only not telling factual information, but their opinion is usually wrong as well.
    And are in FACT a 'welt'

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    For me it's the flagrant mis-use of the word 'random' . If you start chatting to someone you don't know, that is simply what you're doing, you are not chatting to a 'random'. If someone does something weird, they've not done something random, they have actively chosen to do something weird. People think **** like Russel Brand is funny because he says stuff that just doesn't make sense, saying things like 'oh he's just so random'. Bull**** is it random. It's playing up to the fact that people are daft enough to laugh at completely irrelevant things to say. It's used so much and it drives me absolutely f***ing crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by _hucks_ View Post
    For me it's the flagrant mis-use of the word 'random' . If you start chatting to someone you don't know, that is simply what you're doing, you are not chatting to a 'random'. If someone does something weird, they've not done something random, they have actively chosen to do something weird. People think **** like Russel Brand is funny because he says stuff that just doesn't make sense, saying things like 'oh he's just so random'. Bull**** is it random. It's playing up to the fact that people are daft enough to laugh at completely irrelevant things to say. It's used so much and it drives me absolutely f***ing crazy.
    YouTube - Random - Limmy's Show (Pilot)

P.S on the topic of acronym's like lol, omg and lmao, it doesn't bother me a huge amount when written down, although people actually saying it really gets on my chebs. People actually reply to what others say with "lol", not really laughing out loud then are you? The girls in my flat and the flat upstairs every now and again all watch the TV programme Gossip Girl, and when you see them later they're saying "OMG, I can't believe her, that's super uncool". They aren't even trying to be funny or anything, they genuinely don't seem to phooking notice.
    Last edited by Rory89; 28-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

FACT.

@hibs.net private member goosano's Avatar
    Simples

My blood pressure goes sky high whenever I hear/read the 'word'.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by goosano View Post
    Simples

My blood pressure goes sky high whenever I hear/read the 'word'.
    I just want to say to the marketing area of CTM 'Look guys, it was funny as hell and really catchy to start with. However, you're just taken it too far and now it gets on every ***** tits, so **** off and send your meerkat to Uranus on his next ****ing journey'.

I've been on the verge of just blatantly blanking people for saying 'How's you' to me. I've never crossed the line yet and plucked up the courage to do it yet but I reckon I will one day if I'm in a bad mood.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    I just want to say to the marketing area of CTM 'Look guys, it was funny as hell and really catchy to start with. However, you're just taken it too far and now it gets on every ***** tits, so **** off and send your meerkat to Uranus on his next ****ing journey'.

I've been on the verge of just blatantly blanking people for saying 'How's you' to me. I've never crossed the line yet and plucked up the courage to do it yet but I reckon I will one day if I'm in a bad mood.
    Funniest thing I've heard in a long time was my mate describing a bar fight he was involved in when he was interrupted by his missus calling him on the phone.

"So ah hud um by the throat an says tae um, dae that again and I'll rip your......"

"Hiya babe, hows you?"

Last edited by rainman; 29-03-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    I must admit i use many of these phrases and playing online games alot and typing whilst playing shortening stuff really is quite handy!

Haters Gonna Hate

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post

Turn over when the ads are on...

Simples

Quote Originally Posted by Gramo View Post
    Turn over when the ads are on...

Simples
    Thats a pretty brainless answer Gramo. I'd get even more pissed off if I had to turn channels every ad break just to avoid the annoying ones and then switch back.

They should just make adverts less ******ing annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    "Hey, we're going to (insert name) for pre-drinks"

Pre-drinks? Is it possible to come up with anymore of a twatty phrase?

Also on my current list of annoyances is the way people now put "much" at the end of a statement.

Example : I was quite late for class and someone had the audacity to say "late much?" .

Argh

Drinking, prior to going out for the evening

= Prior to going out for the evening we will have some drinks

= Pre Drinks

(This of course only applies if the so called 'pre drinks' happen at someone's house/flat before going properly 'out' e.g. bars before clubs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Also when girls feel the need to add "ies" to words that don't need them.

"Going out with the girlies for drinkies tonight"

Just **** off. Please.
    Meant to make it more feminine than - "We're going to get the MD2020 out, have a bottle of wine each and get pissed, fall about drunk all over the place"

Sounds less 'harsh', more girly, and therefore more socially acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    I agree when you say "over-use" but the use of certain smilies, such as the winkey one is key sometimes.

You can use a blunt sentence to reply to a post and it cannot be interpeted properly unless the smiley is present. It's the next best hing to actually showing your facial expression in a face-to-face environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevitt View Post
    I often say pre-drinks or even more annoying no doubt, pre-skite

Much easier than saying "where are we going for alcoholic beverages, before we go for a night out" no?
    Also Skite???

Only heard it in Aberdeen with the rugby crowd, but becoming more common. Is it pronounced Skite (as in fight) or Skite (as in feet). Could you not just say out on the town, or out to get pished, or clubbing, or drinking, why Skite, where has it come from? It makes no sense.

My view on Skite is that it embodies the whole evening, including the beverages before which may take place at someones house (or 'pre drinks')

But isn't going for alcoholic beverages part of the night out?
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    You aren't going for pre-drinks then, are you?

You're going for drinks.
    Not really, you can go to a friend's house for a few beers any night, but when doing so prior to a night on the town, the whole atmosphere is slightly different.

Yes, though I rarely drink in the pub as going to somebodys flat, or them coming to mine is a much cheaper option. For me the night out is going to pubs/clubs - not drinking in someones flat first - what I call 'pre-drinks'. Somebody may not go out but will still go to the pre-drinks for a bit of banter.
    Much cheaper, pre loading as it's known as within the licensed trade.

Why should it be called a "nightclub"? It's clearly called a big indoor area with loud music, a dancefloor and a bar area where men and women put on their best clothes and dance whilst drinking overpriced alcohol, not a nightclub.

I said myself earlier in the thread it did occur to me that it's a bit gay sounding, but it makes sense despite the reasons people are giving why it doesn't.

Edit to add: Whilst we're ranting about young people (I'm 20 now so feel entitled to air my grumpy old ******* views), I don't mind Facebook and have a page, but it's amazing how often it pops up in conversation. Went back to Edinburgh and went for a night out with some old faces and Facebook was referred to 3 times in the first half an hour of my night out. It's things like "oh by the way I just loved your status". Really, you loved my status, do you know what a ridiculous ***** you sound saying that?
    Nightclub - organised gathering of people, at night, with similar aim or purpose, to dance, drink, listen to loud music.

Finally, only seen it on here, but what on earth is '*****'?? Surely one is a '****' but what added emphasis does the 'o' at the end mean.

I hate people that don't know how to use MULTI-QUOTE on hibs.net!!!
    Hope i've done ok here.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy90 View Post
    Nightclub - organised gathering of people, at night, with similar aim or purpose, to dance, drink, listen to loud music.

Finally, only seen it on here, but what on earth is '*****'?? Surely one is a '****' but what added emphasis does the 'o' at the end mean.
    I wasn't really being serious about the nightclub thing, it was a tongue and cheek response to someone asking why it's called pre-drinks, even though it's completely self explanatory.

As for *****, I don't know it pretty much means the same thing I guess. I suppose ***** can also mean when you hit something with force, ie "I accidently *****'d my head off the wall". Really I think it's just because it somehow gets through the swear filter, has more effect than ****.

I wasn't really being serious about the nightclub thing, it was a tongue and cheek response to someone asking why it's called pre-drinks, even though it's completely self explanatory.

As for *****, I don't know it pretty much means the same thing I guess. I suppose ***** can also mean when you hit something with force, ie "I accidently *****'d my head off the wall". Really I think it's just because it somehow gets through the swear filter, has more effect than ****.
    Guessed that, should've added a smilie, my definition was pedantic.

What's wrong with 'hit'?

Old folk that instead on not pluralising things - "I'll have 4 slice of ham please" - no, you old duffer, you can have 1 slice of ham or 4 slices of ham!!

Also, old people love to pronounce the number "three" as in "shree" for some reason, and they can't ALL have ill-fitting false teeth surely??

What else?? Folk who - despite being pretty intelligent - can't conjugate verbs. Worst example is a friend from down south who has got it into her head that the phrase "we was" is perfectly acceptable

And the already mentioned grotesque over-use of the word "like", especially by girls in recounting stories.

Also, in the same manner, auld wifies on the bus and their inability to use the verb "to say" in the past tense properly.

E.g.

"Aww hiya doll, I saw <insert pensioners name here> last week, and he says to me............so I says to him "Aye, well.............. so then he says to me................and then I says to him...................... so then she comes in the room and says to me......................." etc etc etc repeat ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    I disagree with that. How are you supposed to detect when someone is being sarcastic rather than being a total dick? How do you know when someone isn't being serious? Without being able to see a person's facial expressions or hear the tone of their voice you're actually missing a lot of the context. I think smilies serve a very useful purpose....when used conservatively. ;)
    Totally agree HM - And thank God for your contribution to this thread. It's been like an episode of Grumpy Old Men without the humour

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Old folk that instead on not pluralising things - "I'll have 4 slice of ham please" - no, you old duffer, you can have 1 slice of ham or 4 slices of ham!!

Also, old people love to pronounce the number "three" as in "shree" for some reason, and they can't ALL have ill-fitting false teeth surely??

What else?? Folk who - despite being pretty intelligent - can't conjugate verbs. Worst example is a friend from down south who has got it into her head that the phrase "we was" is perfectly acceptable
    People say I went to America three year ago. It's three years ago!

Also (not heard this since school) that instead of pronouncing H as 'H' they pronounce it 'haych'. Absolutely no need!

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Posted from my phone using (whatever it is)

So friggin what, who the **** cares where its posted from
    To be fair, it took me a wee while to figure out how to delete this "signature" from my iPhone.

On the subject, what are AFAIK, fail and epic fail?

Thanks in advance.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    People say I went to America three year ago. It's three years ago!

Also (not heard this since school) that instead of pronouncing H as 'H' they pronounce it 'haych'. Absolutely no need!
    That's an English thing. Like when they say 'drawring' instead of 'drawing'.
    Weirdos.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Also, in the same manner, auld wifies on the bus and their inability to use the verb "to say" in the past tense properly.

E.g.

"Aww hiya doll, I saw <insert pensioners name here> last week, and he says to me............so I says to him "Aye, well.............. so then he says to me................and then I says to him...................... so then she comes in the room and says to me......................." etc etc etc repeat ad infinitum.
    Can't believe the conversation went on that long without one of them turning (round) to the other before speaking.

"I says to him and he turns (round) to me and says"

That's an English thing. Like when they say 'drawring' instead of 'drawing'.
    Weirdos.
    I still don't know who Lauren Awda is. Used to hear it on the news all the time. Prime ministers were always very concerned about her, vowing to get tough on Lauren Awda. Poor lass!

There's plenty of annoying and just downright weird ones over here but "like" is universal. And.....dare I type it....."Holler" is creeping in too. Nooooooo!!

what I really ******* detest is people who go away travelling and come out with the ***** phrase "I did the east coast" or "did you do Asia?"

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    what I really ******* detest is people who go away travelling and come out with the ***** phrase "I did the east coast" or "did you do Asia?"

Like that girl Debbie who did Dallas you mean? She's probably the only one who can get away with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixu62 View Post
    Like that girl Debbie who did Dallas you mean? She's probably the only one who can get away with that!
    ha ha, yeah I'll let her off!

Not a word or phrase, but let's not forget these cretins who say every sentence like it's a question?

It's, like, really annoying?

I just don't understand why people do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Not a word or phrase, but let's not forget these cretins who say every sentence like it's a question?

It's, like, really annoying?

I just don't understand why people do it?
    Australian Question Intonation is the term I believe.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    So the guy I saw last weekend smashed out his skull, covered in puke, and pissing on the back bumper of a Jeep Cherokee (probably his own) was enjoying a wee session of "post-drinkies"? LOL.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Whip View Post

Australian Question Intonation is the term I believe?

Sorted that for you?