hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that's rubbish.

Rangers have better quality players so they win more games. That's that.
    Exactly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibees_green View Post
    I must admit how you describe it is a little odd. I think your almost implying that everyone can have it if they want it enough. If thats the case I disagree.

Having a strong mentality is a gift just as much as having great skill. Certain people naturally have one. Others can work at it and develop one. But others will simply never be able to acheive one. To have great skill and a winning mentality is a rare thing.

Relative to St Mirren, Rangers are simply no where near an average squad (and that comparison holds true for the rest of the SPL with the exception of Celtic).

I very much doubt the whole St Mirren squad would raise as much as any 4 Rangers players would (never mind 9).
    No implication, thats exactly what I am saying. That we disagree is a different matter.

How can one person develop it and one person not? The only variable is the person himself so it therefor comes down to a personal responsibility to cultivate it.

That is a choice of application and determination (the very qualities that win football matches against the odds ) which is why those that have it, have it in the first place and those that do not, go down meekly against Hearts.

How can the huns not carry that winning mentality into Europe? Is it because they're not as good as we think they are and if every player went into games with a bit belief and a lot of determination, getting right in about them for 90 minutes they would lose more games domestically.
    Oh and bring in strong refs who will send them off for forearm smashes and suchlike offences.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    The reason that 9 men Rangers can beat 11 man St Mirren so easily is because the 11 men of St Mirren still only cost a TINY fraction of the wages and transfer fees of the 9 men of Der Hun.

It's not a gap in quality, it's a canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    The reason that 9 men Rangers can beat 11 man St Mirren so easily is because the 11 men of St Mirren still only cost a TINY fraction of the wages and transfer fees of the 9 men of Der Hun.

It's not a gap in quality, it's a canyon.
    But St.Mirren were the better team by miles, yet despite acres of space and almost universal possession they went to pieces when they had a two man advantage.

Of course it's ability to a large extent, but Rangers didn't sneak yesterday just because they are a much more talented side. Particularly in games with added emphasis, be it Hibs at on Boxing Day, Dundee Utd in the League Cup Final or the game on Sunday, there's an added fear factor when merely HOPING to beat them becomes being in a position where you are EXPECTED to beat them. Are the scores of last minute goals that the Old Firm have plundered against the rest of Scottish football down to just ability? Everytime it happens you don't hear people saying 'ah well, thats because they have better players than us, can't be helped'; the reaction is 'typical'.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    But St.Mirren were the better team by miles, yet despite acres of space and almost universal possession they went to pieces when they had a two man advantage.

Of course it's ability to a large extent, but Rangers didn't sneak yesterday just because they are a much more talented side. Particularly in games with added emphasis, be it Hibs at on Boxing Day, Dundee Utd in the League Cup Final or the game on Sunday, there's an added fear factor when merely HOPING to beat them becomes being in a position where you are EXPECTED to beat them. Are the scores of last minute goals that the Old Firm have plundered against the rest of Scottish football down to just ability? Everytime it happens you don't hear people saying 'ah well, thats because they have better players than us, can't be helped'; the reaction is 'typical'.
    Rangers nicked it because they got a quick break away and one quality ball and one quality header later the ball was in the net. They also defended well before that because they have good players. Simple as that. I'm sure they also have a desire t win and some of them are used to it but in the end it's about the huge gulf in quality showing in the end.

It's easy to have a winning mentality when you're a huge fish in a small pond. Where's the winning mentality when they're in Europe?

We had a winning mentality in the First Division when we were playing Morton and Ayr every week.

Look at Newcastle in the Championship. Eeking out the results week after week. Lets see them do that with the same players next season when they're going to Villa Park and White Hart Lane (never mind Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge) every other week.

I admire the way Smith has kept it all going there. But I don't admire the players that much. The playing field simply is not equal. Rangers are a huge club and all they are doing is beating Hamilton and St Mirren every week. Fact is - the only competition Rangers compete in that has equality is the CL and they're like rabbits in the headlights. They play like victims. They play like St Mirren played against them yesterday - with none of the arrogance or self-belief they have domestically. Think of any sports you play at amateur level. How much easier is it to win when you're playing someone you beat all the time? Winning, drawing, or losing, you're less inclined to panic. You just get on with it in the knowledge that you're probably going to win.

Yesterday was an achievement for Rangers in a quirky way because they had 9 men. Other than that, I don't see where either half of the OF gets fulfilment from domestically - beating each other every year? How parochial is that? Any OF manager with any vision would put the trophy-counting contest to one side and look to Europe at all costs. Write-off the CIS Cup completely, keep in touch in the league, and use the SC as an insurance policy late in the season incase things go tits up. Europe's the only meaningful thing the OF can play for - because everything they get their has to be earned and merited. Unlike Scotland, the rest of Europe doesn't care who the OF are or who they think they are.