hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get me wrong, I salute the man, but did anybody actually meet Eddie Turnbull when he was still involved in the game?

To an impressionable youngster, the words ' **** off, sonny', were not in the script............,

I used to have the landscape maintenance contract at the block of flats where he lived. As soon as I set foot inside the ground's he was out and on my case about ridiculous stuff such as members off the public dropping litter and cracked mono-blocks, both not in my specification! I did pick the litter up on each occasion but he would still moan. I never spoke to him about football. Having dealt with him, I lost what respect I had for him. It got to the point I dreaded each visit. Thankfully I had enough contracts to be able to drop that one and I would be quite glad if I never saw the man again!.....
    Likeable guys, Brebner, Sauzee, Latapy, Jack and Willie Miller.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Brebner. I once met him after a game then bumped into him a few days later up town and we spoke for quite a while outside the bookies

Garry O has always been real nice to speak too as well, not seen him for a while though

First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Hibby View Post
    I can remember meeting Tony Mowbray when he was at Hibs, very nice guy, also Tam McManus sticks in my mind as being a really nice bloke, I've met Tam McCourt, he's a laugh, and also met Gareth Evans when I was at the training centre with a mate, Gareth was there and we talked with him, totally top bloke. Nick Colgan as well, I remember meeting him when I was a kid there were a group of other kids, more than Happy to chat with the kids. Thinking back all members of the Hibs staff and team I've met have all been really nice.
    He is a laugh, a right joke to be precise and he is a member off the groundstaff or whatever and is NOT a player, even though he thinks he is ! The league cup final photo's still annoy me.

Gordon Smith and Pat Stanton, very kind and real gentleman. Jock Stein though not a player was surprisingly very approachable.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    ex.goalkeeping coach, John 'ma bawser' Ritchie.

used to coach the hibs summer schools years ago.

always remember him being a really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by noseyhibby View Post
    The great man himself, Eddie Turnbull was phenomenal and chatted away to me like old buddies as he signed his book in Waterstones. I had a great chat with Stuart lovell on a 16 bus last year as he made his way down to Leith to see another Hibby. He was super friendly and gave me an insight into Mixu and other behind-the-scenes stuff at ER.

I have to agree, I met Eddie Turnbull once when me and my dad were in Tam's picture shop along leith about 14yrs ago, he was lovely and very chatty, although I dont think he enjoyed me showing him my bellybutton piercing that I just had done 1hr before, he looked a bit white lol!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Frank Sauzee, Derek Townsley, Kev McCann, Mixu, Dirk Lehmann, Dean Shiels, Boozy, Benji, Johnny Collins, Chris Hogg and Andy McNeill were all sound as.

I actually found Rob Jones to be a bit of a tosser and Zemmama basically blanked me.

I used to speak to Garry O'Connor when he stayed in Haddy as i'd see him at the shops etc and his house was near my Grans. Top, top guy.

Suppose i better add my Hibs/Arbroath playing mate is a pretty sound lad aswell
    Last edited by .Sean.; 17-03-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noseyhibby View Post
    The great man himself, Eddie Turnbull was phenomenal and chatted away to me like old buddies as he signed his book in Waterstones. I had a great chat with Stuart lovell on a 16 bus last year as he made his way down to Leith to see another Hibby. He was super friendly and gave me an insight into Mixu and other behind-the-scenes stuff at ER.
    I remember a few years ago when I was still at school we were all having a game of football in the park and we noticed an old man watching us play. I realised it was Eddie Turnbull so after a while we went over to talk to him, he was brilliant and even though there was only 3 or 4 hibby's there, everyone else also wanted to hear what he had to say.

He talked about the Hibs team at the time and he said he thought of all the players we had Steven Fletcher and Steven Whittaker would become the best players, which isn't the worst prediction ever. He talked about what he felt was wrong with the way youngsters are trained these days and when I said that he can't be too impressed with our game he didn't hold back out of politeness . I said well done to him for rejecting Man United to stay at Hibs and he informed me that if the money was right he would've been away in a shot.

All in a great guy and I later bought his book which I enjoyed. He even didn't mind when I asked him how come the famous five were so good but they couldn't win the bloody Scottish Cup.

Met Keith Wright at a few functions when living in Edinburgh for a while.

Really good down to earth guy, rememeber him telling me that Pat McGinley was on his way back about 4 months before he returned.

First time I got some proper footie gossip.

Matt Doumbe came into my school and spoke to the kids, was a very down to earth guy. Alex McLeish gave my wife a lift in his taxi once and was very nice. I knew his missus too and she was a really nice person.

Going off the subject here (and awaiting abuse for it but its kinda relevant) - Steve Fulton was an absolute diamond when I took my class of kids down to Tynecastle for something. I've mentioned this one before but he really did make their day. Lots of the other pros didn't give them the time of day (not mentioning on ex-yam now senile old Rangers player) who was cocky as hell. Fulton, who didn't need to do anything for my class, came over, signed all their worksheets and was as far away from 'up his own erkie' than you could possibly get.

Well done Baggio!

Stanton is God. FACT!

Jimmy O'Rourke, Murdo McLeod and Rob Jones are great guys too :thunbsup:

Pat Stanton Ivan (hat trick) Sproule

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    Matt Doumbe came into my school and spoke to the kids, was a very down to earth guy. Alex McLeish gave my wife a lift in his taxi once and was very nice. I knew his missus too and she was a really nice person.

Going off the subject here (and awaiting abuse for it but its kinda relevant) - Steve Fulton was an absolute diamond when I took my class of kids down to Tynecastle for something. I've mentioned this one before but he really did make their day. Lots of the other pros didn't give them the time of day (not mentioning on ex-yam now senile old Rangers player) who was cocky as hell. Fulton, who didn't need to do anything for my class, came over, signed all their worksheets and was as far away from 'up his own erkie' than you could possibly get.

Well done Baggio!
    Busy, busy man.........

Coaching Staff
    Shelton Martis.

I was getting a tour around Easter Road that had been organised by someone over on the bounce. Anyway, after being shown around the upstairs of the West Stand I was taken downstairs into the changing rooms. I had a small chat with Zemmama but his English wasn't very good at the time.
    Only moments after finishing my chat with Merouane, Shelton Martis appeared from the showers around the corner and waltzed right into the changing room completely and utterly bollock naked with his walloper just hanging there situated no more than three feet away from me. I was stunned. There I was, one minute on an innocent tour of the ground and the next minute I was standing there speechless as I was being confronted by Shelton Martis' oversized meat sword.

Top marks to the big guy though, he wasn't fazed at all. It's not every day you find yourself meeting a 17 year old boy for the first time with your ankle spanker on show but he dealt with it perfectly. After the initial few akward seconds had passed, Shelton nodded and smiled and said "alright mate, how's it going?"
    "fine", I said
    He then shook my hand and asked me if I was going to the Celtic game the next day and spoke about how much he was enjoying himself at Hibs and then also signed my Hibs top.

One of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

Also met Alan O'Brien who was cracking banter

Was very friendly with Peter Marinello when he was at Hibs, he was in my cousins class at school, also Alex Cropley is a very nice guy and always peeps his taxi horn when he sees me

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Also met alan orman through my work a few times and...well thats probably best left for another thread
    At least he didn't launch a mobile phone across the shop at your heid . He was a total flange and probably the angriest man I've ever met.

Nick Colgan was a top bloke, Matty Doumbe and Matty Jack were also good guys from around that time, used to pop in for a chat now and again at my work. So did Craig Brewster, but he was daft as a brush

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    past lot,

worked in Ulrik Laursen's house for a few weeks while he was at hibs,

Grant Brebner seemed decent.

Alex Mcleish top man!

current bunch,

Yogi always has time to chat.

Liam miller without doubt, best of the lot so far for me though, as nice a guy as you'll meet. very humble family guy, always got time to chat. top man!

Quote Originally Posted by 1875er View Post
    Had a couple of drinks with Michael O'Neill and his missus and he was a top bloke and refreshingly honest..... he had just got the job as Brechin manager and was telling about the pitflls of being a manager... a top top bloke.

I used to work with Michael's wife. Lovely lovely woman.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeUnderwood View Post
    A bit similar to the other threads going around at the moment with regards to loving or hating the players.

If you've met any of the players, which do you think has been the friendliest to either you or other fans or anything like that?

For me personally, Every player I've met has been friendly, but the friendliest I think was Martin Canning, we had just finished playing Celtic, and we'd lost 2-0, and I was waiting for my mate outside the main reception, Martin was one of the first people to leave the stadium, so to give me something to do I asked if he would sign my programme. I went over to ask him as he made his way to his car, I said hello and asked him if he would sign it. He greeted me with a hello and asked me how I was, I responded and asked the same question, of course his response was not all that positive given that we lost the game but it was good to actually have a chat with him as normally when you see people asking for signatures or anything like that, the players sign whatever it is they are handed and then they just go. So it was a nice touch I thought.

Ivan Sproule - met him at the airport after the 2007 league cup final. True gentleman and complete legend in my book.

Met Darren Jackson in a bookies when he was at Newcastle. Fast forward a few years to the Piano Bar and he actually remembered me and bought, unsolicited, a huge round for me and my mates. Legend.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Nick Colgan was a top class guy. My family took me to see hibs Raith and when they were warming up me and my nephew got talkin to Colgan and he was such a nice guy. But he didn't want to sign my trainer lol

Met Tam McManus once. He was a good laugh. It was when he was with the pars. Said he never wanted to leave hibs and would go back in a heartbeat.

Maka is a good guy as well

My friends went to school with Stevenson and i met him out in kdy a few times. He was another really sound lad

Coaching Staff
    Met Scott Brown one time. It was just after he'd spilled some orange juice, asked someone what time the Chelsea game starts and made a wee lad cry... but that's not for here.

First Team Breakthrough RigRoars's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksaltire View Post
    Met Scott Brown one time. It was just after he'd spilled some orange juice, asked someone what time the Chelsea game starts and made a wee lad cry... but that's not for here.

Did anyone else see this?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    met quite a few by chance, early in his Hibs career Alex Cropley used to be around our estate and he was a genuinely friendly guy, Shades was absolutely tops, met Roughie in Jocks Lodge one Saturday night, my missus liked him and he was delighted to talk away to us and he autographed my arm. Best for me was Jimmy O'rourke though, seen him occasionally around Jocks Lodge but years later when in Glasgow for the Livingstone cup final he spent a good bit of time talking to a group of us and posed for quite a few photos - made a great impression on my son who had only heard about the famous player from me - he actually apologised for having to go! Top man.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Tam McManus i'd say.

A wee cheeky one here

Sir Matt Busby

Played for Hibs in WWll when serving near Edinburgh

I was at Arthur Albiston's Testimonial game at met Sir Matt in the players lounge at Old Trafford after the game. Chatted for a while and when I told him I was a Hibby he said the Famous Five were fantastic to play with and that he'd loved his time at Hibs

Great man and very friendly
    This is how it feels

Pat Stanton, Keith Wright, Steven Whittaker and Benji. Keith in particular is a really lovely, unassuming guy and did a lot of great work with kids from Craigmillar in a project we were supporting. Benji was great to my kids after the Killie league cup final. Stopped to sign programmes and chatted for so long he had to be pulled back onto the open top bus before it left City Chambers.

For non Hibs I found Ian McCall surprisingly entertaining company. Kenny Dalglish refused me (a wee Scots boy) an autograph at the Liverpool team hotel in the late 1970's. He was very rude and unpleasnt and this contrasted with all the other players who were really friendly.

Theres quite afew that i could mention to be fair. Having worked in retail for many years before getting a "real" job, I've had the pleasure of chatting to and serving many Hibs players down the years.

Can always remember being 16 and working at the Tesco on Broughton road. It was a week before we played AEk in Greece and Craig Brewster was in for his weekly shop. I kind of shreeked at him nervously.."you alright Craig?" in a prepubesant tone, half expecting him to say "aye" and bugger off down aisle 4, but he stopped and chatted away to me for about half an hour telling me how excited he was to be going back to Greece in a Hibs jersey and how much confidence he had in the squad. Top bloke.

I occasionally chat to Eddie Turnbull in the street in Stockaree and it's always a pleasure to listen to his views on the current situation. Perhaps age has mellowed him, but you could not meet a friendlier individual who will spend as long as you like talking about the game.

From a terracing point of view, I also remember Arthur Duncan used come out early for the second half to have a chinwag with the worthies down the front of the Cowshed.

The friendliest visitor I recall was Ally McCoist (despite sneakily lamping Mark Fulton) who always entered into the banter about his poundage in the right spirit.

Have met many and have to say up front, I can't actually think of any who've been rude/unpleasant/dismissive at all - which says a lot!

Top picks:

Ian Murray - always approachable and friendly
    Tommy Preston & Willie McFarlane (RIP) - had a great night out listening to their stories after some game in the Blobby era
    Paul Kane - legend and one of the biggest hibbies ever, always says 'alright pal'
    Neil Martin - such a nice guy, always there for a chat and so unassuming
    Garry O'Connor - always seems to have time for Hibs fans
    Deano & Ivan - legendary Bounce do ... nuff said... they love the Hibs!
    Yogi - sat next to him at the raffle at Franck Sauzee Appreciation do ... he was as excited as the next Hibby. Legend.
    Lewis Stephenson lived in the flat below me for a while and seemed a lovely laddie.... can say the same for Paul Hanlon, Darren McCormack, Scott Brown and John Rankin having met them a few times at various dos.

But the best story involves Franck Sauzee himself.

I was travelling to see Scotland v France in Paris (Bertie Vogts humiliation, but we weren't to know ...)
    In the lounge at Edin Airport sat Barry Ferguson. Thought it might be nice if he signed my ticket for the game (even tho he was injured) and he was unbelievably ungracious. You'd have thought I'd asked him to exhume my grandmother by the expression on his face...

5 mins later -in walks Le God. I amble up luckily holding my 6-2 ticket (which I sadly carried around with me at that time) and asked him if he could sign it.

He couldn't have had enough time for me, or been more polite.

The contrast was unbelievable (you canny buy class) and Barry could see it.

Fud. There's only one Sauzee ... :notworthy: