hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yogi, met him at the airport in gran canaria. didnt want to bug him on holiday but after saying hello, he took over. Spent loads of time with my son gettin photos taken. Even when we got home he remembered my son was playing in a cup final and sent him a good luck card signed by all the players. top class guy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HFC Owain
    For me met Fenwick who was a nice guy and was with McManus. When I asked him why he was not getting a game Tam just went because he s***e made me laugh as about a 15 year old I was at the time. Met JJ in Ireland he was a top bloke he was speaking to some people in the hotel saying how he use to play for Rangers, I just went 'that something you should not be proud of' and he laughed then had a bit of chat. Also met Bamba also in Ireland when a bit drunk and had a great laugh and got a photo with unfortunately only had phone on me so bad quality

Quote Originally Posted by frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lewis Stevenson

I used to run a nightclub that was popular with the Hibs squad and whilst some where a total embarassment to our club, Lewis Stevenson was always a total gent. He was rediculously polite and was always embarassed to to come to the front of the queue to get the VIP treatment. Quite often I'd have to go and get him from the back of the queue and take him straight in. Always acknowledged the staff and made a point of thanking everyone on the way in and out. A really nice guy.

Met him at corporate after a game up at Todders, really nice guy, same fixture the next season (corporate again ) and he recognised me , also Eddie Turnbull (corporate again ) Ivan, Whitts was also really nice. John Collins I was mates with at school so he doesn't count

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Don't get me wrong, I salute the man, but did anybody actually meet Eddie Turnbull when he was still involved in the game?

To an impressionable youngster, the words ' **** off, sonny', were not in the script............,

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    I can remember meeting Tony Mowbray when he was at Hibs, very nice guy, also Tam McManus sticks in my mind as being a really nice bloke, I've met Tam McCourt, he's a laugh, and also met Gareth Evans when I was at the training centre with a mate, Gareth was there and we talked with him, totally top bloke. Nick Colgan as well, I remember meeting him when I was a kid there were a group of other kids, more than Happy to chat with the kids. Thinking back all members of the Hibs staff and team I've met have all been really nice.

Without a doubt Jimmy O'Rourke, met him many years ago when he was still playing for us and frequented Jock's Lodge when he had it. Haven't seen him for a while, last I heard he was doing after dinner stuff with Roughie et all, even after a few years he'll still remember me and have a good blether about the auld days, top guy.

Chris Hogg - one of the loveliest guys I've ever had the pleasure of speaking to.

I've met him a good few times now and the man is nothing short of a first class gentleman. Can't speak highly enough of him

Michael Stewart.

No, seriously. He was a really nice bloke, posed for photos with my parents then showed them round the Main Stand at ER. Of course, you could temper this with the fact that it's the only Hibs player I've really met

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Murray is a really good bloke as is Yogi, Jones was a really good guy too.

the best has to be le god though

Chris hogg is a great guy to have a chat with - not arrogant and really takes his role as captain seriously. He seems more than happy to try and answer any questions etc

Met ivan sproule on a bus with his dad and brother the day after the 1-0 reserves win at tynie last year. Very bubbly character who came accross as a genuine supporter

As a hibs kid I went to the Christmas party and the 2 players turning up for call of duty was stephen tweed and chris jackson. tweedy was a gentle giant and happy to speak to all the bairns and sign their calendars. he had been sent off the week before for fouling Wayne foster. I asked "what did you get sent off for stephen?" to which he responded "I rugby tackled a jambo!"

well done tweedy.

Lawrie reilly was a good laugh at a charity game of football but his grandson was wearing a rangers top! :(

Derek Townsley, on the flip side Ian Murray was a total bell end

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    George Best as a kid outside ER, what an honour to have met him, great bloke, very friendly. Chatted with us (with my dad & brother) for a while, also his wife was fit!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    George Best as a kid outside ER, what an honour to have met him, great bloke, very friendly. Chatted with us (with my dad & brother) for a while, also his wife was fit!
    Well one of them had to be.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Known Pat Stanton since I was a 5 year old kid as his son Kenny was at school with me - one of the nicest, most modest and loveliest people you could meet. Once gave me his 1972 League Cup winners tie when I stayed at the house which I still have.

Without knowing, it was Franck Sauzee who I bumped into one night on Princes St. Was a student at the time so happened to have a pen and paper in my bag. Normally would never bother accosting anyone for an autograph but I did Franck. He was with his wife and another friend but stopped to sign for me and chatted for about five minutes about Hibs before shaking my hand and running along a quiet Princes St to catch up with his wife! I was on cloud nine all the way home. A true gentleman!

Must also mention that although I had no time for him at Celtic I met Strachan in a nightclub when he was Coventry manager up for Gordon Hunter's testimonial. When told him I was a Hibby, he was great. Really nice bloke. Take as you find I suppose...
    Last edited by Baader; 17-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Derick Townsley - I met him in a club one night and went up to him to offer to buy him a drink and say that I always felt he got unfairly treated by the fans, as I thought he was a decent player, especially coming off the bench. Anyway he was so delighted with that, that he bought me a drink! I think i was the first fan that had ever complimented him!

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    Well one of them had to be.

without doubt, Shades

a funny bloke and a really decent man.

Sadly gone too early.

RIP

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson's a really nice guy, met him whilst on a tour of the stadium last January.
    Ivan was a great guy, really friendly.
    Same with Boozy and Jones.
    Met Pinau and Bamba once, and that was an utter hoot - Pinau, despite not getting many chances said he loved it at Hibs (and that was under Mixu! )
    Also met Mixu, KeithKeithKeith, Grant Brebner, Maka, and Oli Gottskalksson. I haven't really met any player who's been a prick, which is quite nice although I'm sure they're out there!

Met and had my photo taken with Ned, Lawrie and Pat last year which has to be one of the greatest moments of my life, to be chatting with three legends who were so unassuming and down to earth was just fantastic.

I feel like a bit of a stalker now!

It's funny when people meet players and the opinions are totally different - perhaps there are players who are generally decent but are caught on an off day or whatever and come across badly, I don't know.

Maka seems like a sound bloke. Would always stop for a chat on Dundas Street on his way back from training. Happy to chat about the game and stuff.

Saw Deek and Sam Morrow out in Privy Council on Friday night with their massive entourage. Chatted away alright with me and my mates. But that was years and years ago when Deek could still go to clubs.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Brebner, McManus and Lovell were always friendly but the one who stands out for me is Nick Colgan

Also Alex Cropley, I went to school with his niece so met him a few times, my Grandad was in awe when we met them in Morrisons one day and Cropley started chatting away

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    There's been a few, however Murdo McLeod stands out for me.

I was with Hibs for a few weeks before ankle injuries forced me to quit the game at 17-18. I haven't kicked a ball (in disgust) since then.

The following season, my friends and I travelled through to Firhill. We parked the car up and were heading down to the ground. Murdo was getting off the team bus and made a be-line to my (shocked) mates and I. He asked me how I had been and then went onto share some banter.

He is an absolute gent, am so glad he is on the mend following his op.

But to be fair, there are plenty of good Hibs men I've encountered, M O'Neill, big Franck amongst others.

Coaching Staff
    Me and a mate gatecrashed Dave McPherson's birthday party at Cavios on the Shore when I was a student. He was alright. We were dressed up as a sailors and were winding our way home from a previous party.

He asked who my team was, but because of a misunderstanding that we were Greek sailors, the Restaurant manager was plying us with free drink. I had to pretend I didn't understand English.

It was an awkward situation.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksaltire View Post
    Me and a mate gatecrashed Dave McPherson's birthday party at Cavios on the Shore when I was a student. He was alright. We were dressed up as a sailors and were winding our way home from a previous party.

He asked who my team was, but because of a misunderstanding that we were Greek sailors, the Restaurant manager was plying us with free drink. I had to pretend I didn't understand English.

It was an awkward situation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Had the pleasure & the honour of working alongside Pat Stanton & Lawrie Reilly when I was involved with the Hibs Historical Trust - can only back up earlier posters & say both are gentlemen & I could listen to their tales of Hibs all day & all night.

Surprised Jackie McNamara not been mentioned yet - another gentlemen and a great Hibee whose always got time for folk. First met Jackie many years ago in the Brunton Hall when I was on the committee of Musselburgh Hibs & I think I'm right in saying we were the first supporters club to make him player of the year once he settled into the Hibs side after the controversy of coming the other way when Pat went to Celtic. Met him many times since on Scotland trips & at Hibs games & there's always a hello or a wee chat.

Another of life's gentlemen - sadly no longer with us - was Wullie Ormond. Totally unassuming despite all his achievements - still Scotland's best ever international manager by the way. We ran a fitba team out of his pub in Musselburgh & while he was manager or coach at Easter Road he gave us a set of strips that Hibs no longer needed (in the days before Rod obviously!) - can still remember them, they were horrible! Purple with white sleeves & green & yellow sort of piping - bukta they were. Think Hibs only wore them a couple of times & I have a very vague recollction of one of the games being at Parkhead. Bet they'd go for a fortune on ebay now!

Alan Rough, Callum Milne, Paul Kane

Only one candidate, Paul Kane gives away free soup, and orders pizza for customers.

Promising Youngster gstarbry1875's Avatar
    Eddie Turnbull - We were playing Dundee United about 7 or 8 years ago up at Tannadice, think it was the last game of the season and we were waiting for players autographs after the game. He came out of the ground with his friend and asked how we were still standing about and asked if we were ok as we were the only ones with Hibs colours on. He asked how we were getting home and offered us a lift back to my friend's house in Perth where we were staying! So we jumped in the car with him and he chatted away and gave us some stories and made sure we got home ok! Will never forget that!

Also i know he's not a player but Tam McCourt - we were playing Gala Fairydean in a pre season friendly and me and the same mate were waiting to get the bus down to Gala when a mini bus stopped and asked us if we wanted a lift down, Tam and another guy, can't remember his name, picked us up and took us to the ground and got us in for nothing! We had to put the teams kit out for them in the changing room and just as we were finishing putting the strips and that out in came the players!! was Brilliant! Even took us back home again and bought us a McDonalds on the way home in Gala!!
    Last edited by gstarbry1875; 17-03-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Met Deek, Broony, Kenny Miller, KeithKeithKeith, Lawrie, Shades, Whitty, Mowbray [know he didn't play for but managed is surely close enough] and all were perfect gentlemen, as was Gary Mason [who didn't play for us and is a jambo unfortunately.]

Bell ends [only of other clubs] have included Alan McLaren and Mark Burchill...

Peter Cormack & Marinello used to regularly stroll along the prom at Porty, where they frequently met this young kid, in a Hibs strip, playing fitba on that strip of grass at the bottom of Figgate Street [previously known as Tower St], they always had time for a chat with that now ex-youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    Chris hogg is a great guy to have a chat with - not arrogant and really takes his role as captain seriously. He seems more than happy to try and answer any questions etc

Met ivan sproule on a bus with his dad and brother the day after the 1-0 reserves win at tynie last year. Very bubbly character who came accross as a genuine supporter

As a hibs kid I went to the Christmas party and the 2 players turning up for call of duty was stephen tweed and chris jackson. tweedy was a gentle giant and happy to speak to all the bairns and sign their calendars. he had been sent off the week before for fouling Wayne foster. I asked "what did you get sent off for stephen?" to which he responded "I rugby tackled a jambo!"

well done tweedy.

Lawrie reilly was a good laugh at a charity game of football but his grandson was wearing a rangers top! :(
    I asked Tweedy for his autograph in one of the grassmarket pubs years ago. My mate (a jambo) said to him "I'm a Hearts fan but I still respect your play". Tweedy replied "Jambo b*****d" with a big grin on his face.

Me and my mate left the pub later on, both singing "there's only one Tweedy"!!