hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fir Park

Motherwell's pitch was a disgrace today. They've got a nerve asking £22 to watch a game of "football" on that. I'm not saying a better pitch would have changed the result but maybe we would have seen some passing and dribbling. The area next to the dugouts was completely unplayable.

It just shows the contempt the authorities have for paying supporters that Motherwell can get away with a pitch like that every year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It isn't every year. Officially this is the first year we're getting away with the pitch. The last two years was lack of protection.

But yeah, it's a disgrace - could cost us 4th or even 3rd, like it almost did in McGhee's first season (and cost us top six last season)...

They really need to be fined or forced to relay the pitch. That was horrific.

I've been complaining about the state of our pitch in the last few weeks, but the state of the pitch today was one of the wort I've ever seen.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellfan1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't every year. Officially this is the first year we're getting away with the pitch. The last two years was lack of protection.

But yeah, it's a disgrace - could cost us 4th or even 3rd, like it almost did in McGhee's first season (and cost us top six last season)...
    I dont think it will cost you's anything to be honest, if anything it will benefit you's, as the opposition will find it difficult to adapt where as yous are playing on it every 2nd week.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar

How did you come to that conclusion?

Motherwell are playing on their own ground far more often than each of the opposition, so they are able to adjust.

Only against Hibs tbh. The rest we play better football than. When teams with big guys come to town it's going to get harder for us (for example next week when we play Killie). Apart from Sutton we don't have many players that can win balls in the air all day.

People moan about our pitch, but a lot less people slip on our pitch than they have at Ibrox (v Hibs) and New Douglas Park (v Motherwell) that I have seen recently

Makes it harder for us to use our wingers...

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Motherwell are playing on their own ground far more often than each of the opposition, so they are able to adjust.
    Really?

You think that pitch is the same every two weeks. That's just like saying clubs that have more grass than us (like Hibs and United) have an advantage because they play on grass every week except against us

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Really?

You think that pitch is the same every two weeks. That's just like saying clubs that have more grass than us (like Hibs and United) have an advantage because they play on grass every week except against us
    Indeed I do.

2 weeks later it'll still be a tattie field.

As for the rest of your post, what a load of nonsense.

Incase you haven't realized, football is supposed to be played on grass.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Indeed I do.

2 weeks later it'll still be a tattie field.

As for the rest of your post, what a load of nonsense.

Incase you haven't realized, football is supposed to be played on grass.
    So you don't think it is worse now than it was 2 hours ago? Really? Really? O'Brien has been very public about it's a different pitch every week.

Actually that's not true. Please tell me where FIFA mention that every game of football should be played on Grass.

So you don't think it is worse now than it was 2 hours ago? Really? Really? O'Brien has been very public about it's a different pitch every week.

Actually that's not true. Please tell me where FIFA mention that every game of football should be played on Grass.
    Are you on the grass mate ?...your pitch is a disgrace ..has been for years ..if it was up to me i would ban you from playing home games until you got it sorted !!!

I suppose you'd be better off asking Hamilton Accies,who had to lay a completely new grass pitch instead of the astroturf that was totally acceptable. Except for bureaucrats that is.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Are you on the grass mate ?...your pitch is a disgrace ..has been for years ..if it was up to me i would ban you from playing home games until you got it sorted !!!
    No, I already admitted it was a disgrace - see first post by me in this thread, but it is bollocks to say we'll have an advantage playing on it due to us playing on it every other week.

The 'Well players turn up not knowing what Fir Park is going to play like.

Also why should we be banned? No one has been injured due to the park (how is McBride, who was injured because he slipped on grass?), in fact I have witnessed more people get injured/slip in the last few games on better parks than ours (Ibrox and New Douglas Park).

It's the same for both teams IMO.

Don't think Well are capable of playing free flowing fitba anyway but for me it's all down to the attitude of our players and there we go another defeat.

Jeez, Hibs just dinnae ken when to battle and fight like xxxx when they need to.

That's one thing that must disappoint Yogi the most.

No, I already admitted it was a disgrace - see first post by me in this thread, but it is bollocks to say we'll have an advantage playing on it due to us playing on it every other week.

The 'Well players turn up not knowing what Fir Park is going to play like.

Also why should we be banned? No one has been injured due to the park (how is McBride, who was injured because he slipped on grass?), in fact I have witnessed more people get injured/slip in the last few games on better parks than ours (Ibrox and New Douglas Park).
    Correct ..you dont have an advantage...its also a shame you lot have to play on that mud bath too ..

However yer pitch is still a disgrace ..why no just rip it up & fill it wi mud & sand ...oh wait !!!

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davy Mac View Post
    It's the same for both teams IMO.

Don't think Well are capable of playing free flowing fitba anyway but for me it's all down to the attitude of our players and there we go another defeat.

Jeez, Hibs just dinnae ken when to battle and fight like xxxx when they need to.

That's one thing that must disappoint Yogi the most.
    Exactly. The football on display today was diabolical from both teams. To charge £22 to watch a game on that surface is daylight robbery. Its like charging £45 to go and watch The Sound Of Music at Eddleston Village Hall.

Correct ..you dont have an advantage...its also a shame you lot have to play on that mud bath too ..

However yer pitch is still a disgrace ..why no just rip it up & fill it wi mud & sand ...oh wait !!!
    As you may know we totally re-done the undersoil heating system and drainage in the summer coming in at a very substantial amount - well for a club of a turnover of ours (more than £500K).

What we did was create a new pitch from seed, rather than ready made turf. The down part of this, we advised those that required to be advised (The SPL) that after winter our pitch will be rather worse for wear. Of course it shouldn't be this bad but that is because of our idiotic groundsman leaving covers on and the undersoil heating on for almost three weeks straight...

So heavy snow + no sunlight + god knows what else = the pitch we have today

Fir Park in general is just an absolute cesspit. IMO it's the most horrible ground in the SPL.

As for their pitch in particular, it is disgraceful. Quite often when a match is called off, the referee will say that it was down to the fact that the pitch was "unplayable". I would say that large sections of that pitch today were "unplayable" (particularly the area right next to the dugouts) and as far as I'm aware it's been that way for quite some time.

Fir Park should be closed until the club can get the pitch in working order and until that time comes, Motherwell should play their home games at Airdrie.

By the way, I am NOT blaming the state of the pitch for our defeat. We could have been playing on a bowling green type surface this afternoon and we would have still been as bad as we were but that is not an acceptable state for an SPL pitch to be in.

As you may know we totally re-done the undersoil heating system and drainage in the summer coming in at a very substantial amount - well for a club of a turnover of ours (more than £500K).

What we did was create a new pitch from seed, rather than ready made turf. The down part of this, we advised those that required to be advised (The SPL) that after winter our pitch will be rather worse for wear. Of course it shouldn't be this bad but that is because of our idiotic groundsman leaving covers on and the undersoil heating on for almost three weeks straight...

I admire you for defending your corner BUT name me a ground that hasn't suffered the same problems and yet doesn't resemble a tattie field like Fir Park? It amazes me that no-one was seriously injured out there today
    This is how it feels

Hey ..i feel for ye man ..the place needs levelled..flattened ...terrace (enclosure) to stand its wonky ..how about you share wi Airdrie ..they are skint & could do wi the extra income ..it makes sense ..

Really?

this could be the stupidest comment i have ever read on this bored EVER how sorry we are for wanting to play football on GRASS. rod get it sorted monday morning get some of the boys out planting tatties on our pitch

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I ma currently watching it on Alba. There really is a case for not playing on that pitch. The area in front of the dug outs is a disgrace and apart from not allowing decent football is downright dangerous. The passage of play when the Well player stopped the throw and jarred his leg on a huge rut followed by a tumble into the brick wall surrounding the pitch could have seriously hurt him. He really could have broken his neck. I would make them sort it or pay elsewhere.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I admire you for defending your corner BUT name me a ground that hasn't suffered the same problems and yet doesn't resemble a tattie field like Fir Park? It amazes me that no-one was seriously injured out there today
    Just said much the same on another thread. The pitch was awful and I think that was part of yogi's thinking of not starting Zemamma. We looked so much better when he came on and on a decent park him and Wotherspoon would have tore Motherwell apart.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I ma currently watching it on Alba. There really is a case for not playing on that pitch. The area in front of the dug outs is a disgrace and apart from not allowing decent football is downright dangerous. The passage of play when the Well player stopped the throw and jarred his leg on a huge rut followed by a tumble into the brick wall surrounding the pitch could have seriously hurt him. He really could have broken his neck. I would make them sort it or pay elsewhere.

Sharp intakes of breath when we saw that today. I couldn't believe the guy got up and back on the park so quickly. Hardly even a mention on the radio as all they were interested in was the Huns game getting called off.

I thought the SPL had minimum stadium standards. Surely the playing surface should be up at the top of that list. We weren't allowed in the lower section in case we slipped on the steps but the players were allowed to risk their careers on that disgrace of a pitch. Crazy.
    Last edited by Removed; 20-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.

There's a certain irony in the Huns game being cancelled because around one quarter of the pitch was deemed unplayable and a possible risk to player safety.

IMO Fir Park is seven eighths unplayable and a definite risk to player safety
    This is how it feels

Watching the game on Alba and must say I can't remember seeing a pitch in such bad condition as Fir Park for a long time. Do they do it on purpose to stop passing teams from playing to their strengths?

Thought they had a new pitch laid not so long ago. What happened to it?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Why have they just relayed those bits of the goal areas, when the whole pitch needs it?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Thought they had a new pitch laid not so long ago. What happened to it?
    See post #16

Not going to use the state of the pitch as an excuse for the defeat, but it is about time Motherwell were forced to provide a surface that at least meets minimum standards. That they have consistently failed to do so is a disgrace and they should face an appropriate penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Why have they just relayed those bits of the goal areas, when the whole pitch needs it?
    Good question Gary

Ironically, Stacky was digging lumps out of the six yard box when setting himself up to take goal kicks
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Not going to use the state of the pitch as an excuse for the defeat, but it is about time Motherwell were forced to provide a surface that at least meets minimum standards. That they have consistently failed to do so is a disgrace and they should face an appropriate penalty.