hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montrose Fans

Montrose Fans

We're quick to criticise the opposition fans at times, so I'd like to thank the Montrose fans for their support yesterday. If they hadn't sung throughout, the atmosphere would have been non- existent.

Their backing of their team was first class and not without some irony and humour ('we're the worst team in Scotland', 'we want one' )et al. Even the one alluding to Hibs fans and heroin raised a smile.

2. Log in to remove the advert

With one league win this season, they've not really had a lot to celebrate but they backed their team from start to finish.

The reaction from them when they scored was fantastic

Hopefully they had a good day out, regardless of the score.

Blog Entries

I actually miss the away trips of years ago as over whelming under dog...with very low expectations...in rickity old grounds....fun was garunteed any any small success wildly celebrated. Even the train journeys and hours of travel were a source of entertainment and challenge to over come

Now we have had a few years since Eck (Mixu excepted) of decent football ans some success.....as well as the comfort fo a decently equiped stadium....we have rased our expectations of performance to ridiculous levels...while creating less atmoshpere than a theatre crowd...with fans spending more time critisicing than supporting while in the ground..and travel..well we need to leave early now to ensure we get to our personal transport and not be inconvienienced by the threat of a modest traffic snarl....

They had a great time throughout the match... SPL yer having a laugh, what a sh*tey home support, shall we sing a song for you... amongst other songs. We were unable to respond.. basically they had more people prepared to sing than us.

:notworthy:

Suppose we weren't drinking buckfast on the way to the match.

Where is Montrose by the way?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody70x2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They had a great time throughout the match... SPL yer having a laugh, what a sh*tey home support, shall we sing a song for you... amongst other songs. We were unable to respond.. basically they had more people prepared to sing than us.

:notworthy:

Suppose we weren't drinking buckfast on the way to the match.

Where is Montrose by the way?
    Aye, the Montrose fans put us to shame. Most Hibs fans seemed to turn up and sit on their hands, waiting for the inevitable goals and victory, and were content to just moan as often as they could.

The Montrose fans, on the other hand, were giving it laldy and seemed to have a great time.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Montrose is just down the road from Forfar.... (not far from Dundee)....

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    I think we are kidding ourselves here.

Does a ' Montrose ' fan actually exist?

Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

That support yesterday consisted of the above and very little else.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby7062
    Did anyone else notice that they applauded both Riordans and Gow's goals... I can only assume due to the quality of the goals.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post

Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

Well I certainly didn't hear anything to suggest that - in contrast to our last visitors in the Scottish Cup.

I was sitting in the far north end of the West Upper yesterday, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post

I actually miss the away trips of years ago as over whelming under dog...with very low expectations...in rickity old grounds....fun was garunteed any any small success wildly celebrated. Even the train journeys and hours of travel were a source of entertainment and challenge to over come

Now we have had a few years since Eck (Mixu excepted) of decent football ans some success.....as well as the comfort fo a decently equiped stadium....we have rased our expectations of performance to ridiculous levels...while creating less atmoshpere than a theatre crowd...with fans spending more time critisicing than supporting while in the ground..and travel..well we need to leave early now to ensure we get to our personal transport and not be inconvienienced by the threat of a modest traffic snarl....

One of the best posts I've read on here for a while. Top flight fitba sold it's soul years ago and the Montrose supporters showed us what supporting your team is all about. Meanwhile our support will abuse a striker who is on for a hat trick or complain about people turning up late.

The state of modern fitba was depressingly summed up by the booking for their boy when he scored. The authorities won't be happy until they've risk assessed all the joy out the game.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

Absolute nonsense.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

I could see where you were coming from if they had taken down a few thousand (ie multiples of their normal support), but that just looked like their normal home crowd of a few hundred.

The (compulsory?) "SPL yer havin' a laff" was a bit grating, particularly considering that there wasn't anything happening on the pitch to justify it. But that was all, unlike the hun twats in the previous round.

Left by mutual consent!
    I crossed the railway bridge ten mins before KO and had to hurry past a group of them singing and laughing, loving every minute of it as they headed into the stadium. A pleasant change from the usual drab visiting supports.

Probably a sad reflection on the predictibility and lack of excitement generated by most SPL games.

"Hello, hello. How do you do. We are the boys in royal blue. Where e'er we go we fear no foe. We are the Links Park dynamo"

Don't know if they sang that or not - it's a blast from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post

Good post

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    "Hello, hello. How do you do. We are the boys in royal blue. Where e'er we go we fear no foe. We are the Links Park dynamo"

they sang it walking over the railway bridge....still sends a shiver down my spine...

What a load of rubbish if I may say so
    I know of many of those who came yesterday also turn up to EVERY home game .
    That is based on my connections with the town
    What do you base your thoughts on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    they sang it walking over the railway bridge....still sends a shiver down my spine...
    Excellent.

Some of my family belong to Montrose and I've been to Links Park a few times to support the Gable Endies.......and given that song laldy.

Does a ' Montrose ' fan actually exist?Like every city, town and village in Scotland, hordes of huns and tims leave there for Darkheid or Greyskull every weekend.

Yes they do exist and they are just as passionate about their club as we are about ours.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Yup, they were good yesterday.

While I thought the atmosphere we created was nil I thought a good side of our support Was out today, clapping the guy with the hamstring, mcneil, and booing the ref for booking the guy that scored - we ain't all that bad

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It may have been a day out for some in the town, with no real interest in football, there didn't seem to be any hint of closet OF fans though.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post

Oh yes....takes one back...rickety stadium, ice cream van parked behing the goals etc. They haven't forgotten.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc

Im pretty sure that Montrose have a large (in proportion to support) and active casual unit.

not that i know the casual scene at all, however i have been aware that MOntrose have a big one!
    Hibernian Football Club

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post
    not that i know the casual scene at all, however i have been aware that MOntrose have a big one!

I probably know less than you even do but a Montrose casual squad?

certainly never heard anyone ever mentioning it, never read of it and saw no signs of it yesterday.

Not aware of any trouble being reported inside or outside the ground.

think you may have confused Montrose with Millwall...

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    What a load of rubbish if I may say so
    I know of many of those who came yesterday also turn up to EVERY home game .
    That is based on my connections with the town
    What do you base your thoughts on ?

Feel free to be offensive my friend, its water off a ducks back.

I take it that your connection to Montrose doesn't actually extend to ever having been there ?

I don't have any particular grouse with Montrose as such, but in a footballing sense they are no different to any other Scottish town in that most fans there are of the Old Firm persuasion.

Sorry you feel that so difficult to come to term with.

Can we stop this patronizing, pat on the back pish of "hope they had a great day out" and other pish like that?

It wasn't a group of mental patients out on a day trip and it wasn't exactly a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro.

Sort of rubbish I'd expect from Celtic fans.

Feel free to be offensive my friend, its water off a ducks back.

I take it that your connection to Montrose doesn't actually extend to ever having been there ?

I don't have any particular grouse with Montrose as such, but in a footballing sense they are no different to any other Scottish town in that most fans there are of the Old Firm persuasion.

Sorry you feel that so difficult to come to term with.

So what you're saying is that the few hundred Montrose fans who supported their team yesterday are actually OF fans?

I'd be inclined to believe those who have connections to the town whether they'd been there or not before I'd fall for someone's absurd assumptions

What a load of tosh

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    What a load of tosh

he was injured..

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Can we stop this patronizing, pat on the back pish of "hope they had a great day out" and other pish like that?

It wasn't a group of mental patients out on a day trip and it wasn't exactly a trip to the Nou Camp or San Siro.

Sort of rubbish I'd expect from Celtic fans.
    Wee bit harsh, don't you think? Are we supposed to treat them like they are Inter Milan or Barcelona?

Fact is they support a wee club, and are from a small town - I'm sure they would rather have been at the Nou Camp or San Siro, but it was still a novelty for them to be playing an SPL team, and seeing a bigger than normal crowd.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    I probably know less than you even do but a Montrose casual squad?

certainly never heard anyone ever mentioning it, never read of it and saw no signs of it yesterday.

Not aware of any trouble being reported inside or outside the ground.

think you may have confused Montrose with Millwall...

i wasnt aware of it either, however my colleague (die hard Alloa fan) told me yesterday of the casual group and a story or two he has heard on the terracing at the Recreational Park.

I found it hard to believe too to be honest. Not sure if its still thriving just now!
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Wee bit harsh, don't you think? Are we supposed to treat them like they are Inter Milan or Barcelona?

Fact is they support a wee club, and are from a small town - I'm sure they would rather have been at the Nou Camp or San Siro, but it was still a novelty for them to be playing an SPL team, and seeing a bigger than normal crowd.
    I wouldn't think it was harsh no. I wasn't meaning to say we should treat them like Milan or Barcelona. A great trip would be to there, not ER half full.

It's the sort of pat on the back crap we often get from Celtic fans.

I've got friends who follow smaller teams such as Morton who have visited ER. They're only comment was on how pish the East Stand is.

It's probably just me (so I'll shut up now) but it just grates at me that we treat them like some patients on a day trip somewhere.