hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member LeithenHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Rolling Hills
    Posts
    3,424

    "Like having a new player" (Kevin McCann)

    Looking like Kevin McCann is on his way back to a full recovery and will be playing some footie soon enough..

    This is great news and it will be like having another signing...

    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...ing.6037730.jp
    Last edited by LeithenHibby; 03-02-2010 at 05:38 PM.

  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member whereswallace?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    6 feet under
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,278
    Great to see him back in full training after all the troubles hes had,as far as him in the team though,i don't rate him that highly.He's never really impressed me or made me think he will be anything special.This is not meant as an attack on him,just my opinion.
    [IMG]381313_2307180833812_1078031841_2523339_2139902811 _n[/IMG]

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswallace? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great to see him back in full training after all the troubles hes had,as far as him in the team though,i don't rate him that highly.He's never really impressed me or made me think he will be anything special.This is not meant as an attack on him,just my opinion.


    Although like you, it would be great to see him "make it".

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Baw187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,261
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswallace? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great to see him back in full training after all the troubles hes had,as far as him in the team though,i don't rate him that highly.He's never really impressed me or made me think he will be anything special.This is not meant as an attack on him,just my opinion.


    He's nowhere near good enough to make the RB position his own, from what I've seen. Wotherspoon's attacking side fits more with what Yogi wants from his fullbacks and McCann couldn't fill that role.

    As with Whereswallace, tho, I'm not having a go at boy cause from what I've seen he's 100% commited. I just think the team has progressed and he's been left behind. Same as Stevenson IMO.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member LeithenHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Rolling Hills
    Posts
    3,424
    What age is he? still got time shirley..

    When he last played he was just a boy...I'm hopeful.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    38
    Posts
    26,619
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithenHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking like Kevin McCann is on his way back to a full recovery and will be playing some footie soon enough..

    This is grate news and it will be like having another signing...

    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...ing.6037730.jp
    Mcann if he turnips can be a great asset, dangle the carrot for potential buyers in the summer,Homemade talent that has the stock value to go onto grater things

  8. #7
    Testimonial Due hwuhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Calder
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,018
    solid in the tackle, never hides & decent going forward, glad to have him back.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithenHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What age is he? still got time shirley..

    When he last played he was just a boy...I'm hopeful.
    He's very, VERY slow unfortunately.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's very, VERY slow unfortunately.
    Maybe Yogi could try him at centre-half?

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Yogi could try him at centre-half?


    That did make me wonder about JC's managerial acumen - it was a real classic that one. (injuries of course!)

  12. #11
    Better Than What We Have At The Moment Speedway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    UK
    Age
    79
    Posts
    12,320
    Do you know what else feels just like a new player at Right Back?

    A new player at Right Back.
    All of the above is 'IMO'

  13. #12
    Testimonial Due Keith Wright Jnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, NZ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,238
    Reckon you're all being pretty harsh on KM. I thought he was very solid at right back until JC seemed intent on crushing his confidence. Don't think he was that bad at CM either but deffo better at RB.

  14. #13
    First Team Regular brythehibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    546
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Bry2405
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswallace? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great to see him back in full training after all the troubles hes had,as far as him in the team though,i don't rate him that highly.He's never really impressed me or made me think he will be anything special.This is not meant as an attack on him,just my opinion.
    I agree but there has to be some reason we've kept him on during his injury hell. Looked a decent player when fit but indont think anyone can judge him on previous games after so long out. Hopefully comes back to be a big player for us.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JC seemed intent on crushing his confidence.
    How?

  16. #15
    Testimonial Due Keith Wright Jnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, NZ
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How?
    Taking a young right back and sticking him into centre midfield was pretty risky but the biggest one being starting him at centre half beside Chris Hogg in what must have been the shortest centre half pairing in the SPL against Lee Miller.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Taking a young right back and sticking him into centre midfield was pretty risky but the biggest one being starting him at centre half beside Chris Hogg in what must have been the shortest centre half pairing in the SPL against Lee Miller.
    He tried him once at centre-half which does seem a strange selection, as for the games in midfield he done ok - he was in as a grafter.

    Is Yogi trying to ruin Wotherspoon's confidence by playing him at RB? Or how about Riordan?

  18. #17
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Happy Clappertoun
    Age
    43
    Posts
    11,982
    Depends what you want from your fullback. Overlapping runs, blistering pace and getting crosses into the box? No. Solid, dependable, good positional sense? Yes.

    I like McCann

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    solid in the tackle, never hides & decent going forward, glad to have him back.
    Might be a little on the short side, but makes up for it with good all round ability. One of the best tacklers in our squad, good passer of the ball and as you say decent going forward.

    Was exceptional in first SPL game of season versus St Mirren.

    All in all, good to have him back. Will definitely increase competition for places.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you know what else feels just like a new player at Right Back?

    A new player at Right Back.
    Think Yogi is being very astute here.

    The only possible minor grumble any of us could have about the transfer window is that we never signed a right back. In my opinion it would not only have put the icing on the cake but the cherry on top.

    In this article Yogi is reminding the fans that we do have another right back available following an unfortunate run of injuries.

    At the same time he also gives a timely confidence boost to a young player returning from injury who may need such a boost.

    Once again, good stuff from Yogi.

  21. #20
    Does those who are criticising him remember the season he burst on the scene? Goal against Rangers, etc, a very attacking fb. If he replicates that, we have a quality player on our hands. However, he now has it all to prove.

  22. #21
    Testimonial Due hibsdaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    2,444
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends what you want from your fullback. Overlapping runs, blistering pace and getting crosses into the box? No. Solid, dependable, good positional sense? Yes.

    I like McCann
    this is it really. you want different options available, and McCann offers that.

  23. #22
    Doddie the Sneaky Proddie Doddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Caldera de la Cruz
    Age
    64
    Posts
    23,325
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends what you want from your fullback. Overlapping runs, blistering pace and getting crosses into the box? No. Solid, dependable, good positional sense? Yes.

    I like McCann
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsdaft View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is it really. you want different options available, and McCann offers that.

    Exactly. I liked what I saw of Kevin before his injury. I would agree that he suffered at Collins' hands - not least because IIRC he was playing while injured, which simply should not happen to a young player.

    Also while Yogi has played some players out of their usual positions, Collins is nowhere near as good a coach or man-manager as Yogi is.

    One pairing I WOULD like to see tried out is a fully-fit Kevin McCann at RB, with Davie playing right midfield in front of him. We're going to need to think about what happens when Zouma's gone.


    "Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithenHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking like Kevin McCann is on his way back to a full recovery and will be playing some footie soon enough..

    This is grate news and it will be like having another signing...
    Let's hope he's on fire when he plays.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cornwall
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,569
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithenHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking like Kevin McCann is on his way back to a full recovery and will be playing some footie soon enough..

    This is grate news and it will be like having another signing...

    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...ing.6037730.jp
    No cheese or kitchen appliance puns please...



    I quite liked McCann's performance as a defensive midfielder in a few games.


  26. #25
    V-BUTTON CHAMPION 2008 H18sry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Church of Maradona T.A
    Posts
    9,332
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mcann if he turnips can be a great asset, dangle the carrot for potential buyers in the summer,Homemade talent that has the stock value to go onto grater things
    Thats a rather souper assesment

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    48
    Posts
    6,179

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you know what else feels just like a new player at Right Back?

    A new player at Right Back.
    But that sets off an unwanted chain reaction cos Wotherspoon would then need played further up the pitch in midfield.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    38
    Posts
    26,619
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats a rather souper assesment


    Someone got there in the end

  29. #28
    Testimonial Due ahibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    3,879
    Yogi must rate him because he was in his first eleven for the first game of the season against St Johnstone (IIRC). Therefore I'd imagine Yogi will give him every chance. It's possible but I can't imagine him dropping DW for KM for league matches coming up, and if switching to a back three would your first choice not be Hogg Bamba and Murray? Ignoring whether they are attacking midfield or defending midfield we seem to have a lot of players who can play in there and players who would make it harder for DW to get a game. I presume that the story follows the remarks made in the papers about us saying we need a RB and the club not signing one. Yogi might throw KM in against Montrose at RB but I'd tend to stick with a fairly settled side at first and maybe take three off to rest if we get a good lead. We have to look forward to the Aberdeen and Rangers games too, maybe DW for KM would be something to change later in the game?

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One pairing I WOULD like to see tried out is a fully-fit Kevin McCann at RB, with Davie playing right midfield in front of him. We're going to need to think about what happens when Zouma's gone.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member shamo9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Stirling University
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5,212
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: shamo9
    I remember he played in midfield and scored a screamer against Rangers when we drew 3-3 (something Wotherspoon has been attempting to do all season). There's definitely ability there; he has to work on his final ball obviously, but I would feel more comfortable defending with him at RB rather than Wotherspoon.

Similar Threads

  1. Kevin mccann
    By poolman in forum hibs.net Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved